Expired Hot Deals

Aeroplan

Convert Marriott Bonvoy to Aeroplan with 20% Bonus

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2022 10:35 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 26, 2004
12513 posts
2796 upvotes
Mississauga

Convert Marriott Bonvoy to Aeroplan with 20% Bonus

Deal Link:
Expiry:
May 31, 2022
Retailer:
Aeroplan
From May 20-31, you can convert your unwanted Marriott Bonvoy points to Aeroplan and get a 20% bonus. You also get the standard 5,000 Aeroplan bonus for every 60,000 Bonvoy points you convert. Bonvoy/Aeroplan have run this promo in the past for up to a 35% bonus, but the last time that I recall that they did that was back in 2019 and they haven't run the promo at all since COVID until now. Considering how Bonvoy points have recently been de-valued, I'd recommend transferring them over if you know you won't need them.
53 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
1521 posts
2712 upvotes
Berczy Park
With how easy it is to accumulate AP points I'm not sure anyone should be doing this when there are much better redemptions through other airline programs (and airlines in general such as Singapore Airlines) than AP for use of Bonvoy points. For example, a one-way ticket in first class to Asia is only 75K Alaska points or 110K AAdvantage points but would cost 130K AP.
Newbie
Sep 6, 2017
32 posts
48 upvotes
donttoewsmebro wrote: With how easy it is to accumulate AP points I'm not sure anyone should be doing this when there are much better redemptions through other airline programs (and airlines in general such as Singapore Airlines) than AP for use of Bonvoy points. For example, a one-way ticket in first class to Asia is only 75K Alaska points or 110K AAdvantage points but would cost 130K AP.
I'd imagine you'd have a lot more options with AP than Singapore Airlines....
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
1521 posts
2712 upvotes
Berczy Park
itshere01 wrote: I'd imagine you'd have a lot more options with AP than Singapore Airlines....
I meant flying Singapore Airlines long haul not using their program. Though there are some decent redemptions going from JFK-FRA to try the suites using Krisflyer as well as Krisflyer Spontaneous Escapes.
Jr. Member
Dec 22, 2014
192 posts
184 upvotes
Peterborough, ON
donttoewsmebro wrote: I meant flying Singapore Airlines long haul not using their program. Though there are some decent redemptions going from JFK-FRA to try the suites using Krisflyer as well as Krisflyer Spontaneous Escapes.
using which program? cash fares or some convoy partner?
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
1521 posts
2712 upvotes
Berczy Park
Joelm72 wrote: using which program? cash fares or some convoy partner?
I'm talking strictly award points/miles not cash fares.
Jr. Member
Dec 22, 2014
192 posts
184 upvotes
Peterborough, ON
This 3:1 base ratio stinks in my books. You can book hotels for 10k Bonvoy points/night (with no additional taxes) that are worth at least $100 USD. Good luck getting that value with your 3,333 Aeroplan miles. Useful if you fly business/first maybe. Hitting the 60k bonus sweetens the deal a little, but it's still only 2:1 (with this promo included) then, meaning that 10k MB = 5k AP. No go for me.
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
10997 posts
4245 upvotes
My 180000 Marriot points converts to 75000 AP.
200000 gets me a 5 night stay in the Maldives in a Marriot that is around $800 USD per night.

That's how bad this conversion can look.

Edit, 180000 converts to 90000 AP.
Last edited by bobcat99 on May 20th, 2022 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 26, 2004
12513 posts
2796 upvotes
Mississauga
bobcat99 wrote: My 180000 Marriot points converts to 75000 AP.
200000 gets me a 5 night stay in the Maldives in a Marriot that is around $800 USD per night.

That's how bad this conversion can look.
Which Marriott hotel in the Maldives is only 50,000 points/night?
Jr. Member
Nov 22, 2017
186 posts
234 upvotes
Talamasca wrote: Which Marriott hotel in the Maldives is only 50,000 points/night?
Just did some quick check.
5 nights in Sheraton and Le Méridien are under 200k
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 26, 2004
12513 posts
2796 upvotes
Mississauga
RudyRFD wrote: Just did some quick check.
5 nights in Sheraton and Le Méridien are under 200k
Good to know. Neither charges anything close to $800/night though.
Member
Jan 22, 2013
269 posts
145 upvotes
Vancouver
So the consensus is Marriott points sucks? What are people using their AMEX reward points or AP points for nowadays? I spent some time looking at AP business flights, but there were 0 trips with good deals (<100k AP points). There was one for 55k one way with only one seat available which is useless if you need to book 2 seats.
Last edited by Janerator on May 20th, 2022 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
10997 posts
4245 upvotes
Talamasca wrote: Good to know. Neither charges anything close to $800/night though.
October 31st to November 5th LM is 208000 points (stay 4 night get the 5th free)
Dynamic pricing, it was over $800 at one point now it's $750 USD per night, which is pretty close to $800.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 24, 2011
946 posts
469 upvotes
bobcat99 wrote: My 180000 Marriot points converts to 75000 AP.
200000 gets me a 5 night stay in the Maldives in a Marriot that is around $800 USD per night.

That's how bad this conversion can look.
Not sure if my math if off here... but every 60k you get 20% additional points AND 5000pts extra... so on top of 75000AP, you would get another 20%
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
1521 posts
2712 upvotes
Berczy Park
ESJExplorer wrote: Not sure if my math if off here... but every 60k you get 20% additional points AND 5000pts extra... so on top of 75000AP, you would get another 20%
If you look at the chart at the bottom of ops link it shows the calculation. Its 60K MB--> 30K AP
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 24, 2011
946 posts
469 upvotes
donttoewsmebro wrote: If you look at the chart at the bottom of ops link it shows the calculation. Its 60K MB--> 30K AP
Right... so bobcat99's 180000 MB would be 90000 AP, not 75000 AP
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
10997 posts
4245 upvotes
Janerator wrote: So the consensus is Marriott points sucks? What are people using their AMEX reward points or AP points for nowadays? I spent some time looking at AP business flights, but there were 0 trips with good deals (<100k AP points). There was one for 55k one way with only one seat available which is useless if you need to book 2 seats.
No, Marriot points has been one of the best loyalty programs our there. Even with the devaluation you can get some good deals.
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
10997 posts
4245 upvotes
ESJExplorer wrote: Right... so bobcat99's 180000 MB would be 90000 AP, not 75000 AP
Thanks, for the correction, makes it a bit better.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2015
2420 posts
2306 upvotes
Province of Bring Ca…
Shit…just did 120000 last month but didn’t use it
Newbie
Dec 24, 2018
50 posts
235 upvotes
Interesting, I have 405,000 MB points currently but I believe they are worth more than AP even with this bonus.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)