Travel

Aeroplan points - Going to both Europe and Asia on one reward?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2019 2:38 pm
[OP]
Dec 20, 2015
158 posts
60 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Aeroplan points - Going to both Europe and Asia on one reward?

Hi,

I've always used my Aeroplan points for round-trip tickets but I recently overheard somebody talk about phoning into Aeroplan to book multiple layovers and stopovers.

I looked it up on google and there was a lot of terms and acronyms that I did not really understand so I was wondering if anybody can quickly tell me if I'm comprehending this properly:

If I'm flying internationally, I can use my Aeroplan points for 2 stopovers in addition to my destination if I call in. In order to do this, I have to make sure the flights exist between each stopover by using the one-way search on the Aeroplan website? When I call in, do I have to give them the specific flights or could I just say something like, "I would like to travel from Athens to Tokyo in the afternoon on April 8th"?

I currently have 75,000 points and I'm probably not going to be getting anymore anytime soon. Would it be possible for me to book an economy class trip that will include Tokyo OR Hong Kong, Athens, and another European destination like Portugal/Madrid/Barcelona/Oslo/London? Thanks in advance!

Edit: I would be flying in and out of YVR
9 replies
Jan 8, 2012
692 posts
487 upvotes
Williams Lake
You have the basics--two stops greater than 24 hours plus your destination. You are also allowed a number of layovers under 24 hours, which lets you get a quick look at cities along the way, if you're so inclined.

Where you can go is based on the distance to your furthest destination. Every city has a set allowable distance, and you can't go over that amount.

If you want more information, I'd start here:

Your text to link here...

There are other threads on mini-round-the-world trips there as well. And after you do some research, there are people on those threads who are willing to give advice.

Here is a link to the Aeroplan mileage chart, showing you where you can go with your 75k:

Your text to link here...
[OP]
Dec 20, 2015
158 posts
60 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Wow thanks for the handy link!

Could I just clarify something? Not sure if I'm understanding how the MPM works..

http://www.gcmap.com/dist?P=yvr-ath-yvr
Since YVR - ATH - YVR would be 12k miles so would my MPM be 24k miles?

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=yvr-ath-nrt-yvr
YVR to Athens with a stopover in Tokyo before going home to YVR would be 16k. Since 16k is smaller than 24k, then this trip would be valid...?
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
24232 posts
5911 upvotes
where I belong
Isshoukenmei wrote: Hi,

I've always used my Aeroplan points for round-trip tickets but I recently overheard somebody talk about phoning into Aeroplan to book multiple layovers and stopovers.

I looked it up on google and there was a lot of terms and acronyms that I did not really understand so I was wondering if anybody can quickly tell me if I'm comprehending this properly:

If I'm flying internationally, I can use my Aeroplan points for 2 stopovers in addition to my destination if I call in. In order to do this, I have to make sure the flights exist between each stopover by using the one-way search on the Aeroplan website? When I call in, do I have to give them the specific flights or could I just say something like, "I would like to travel from Athens to Tokyo in the afternoon on April 8th"?

I currently have 75,000 points and I'm probably not going to be getting anymore anytime soon. Would it be possible for me to book an economy class trip that will include Tokyo OR Hong Kong, Athens, and another European destination like Portugal/Madrid/Barcelona/Oslo/London? Thanks in advance!

Edit: I would be flying in and out of YVR
Mini-RTW, mRTW

YVR-*-Europe1-Europe-2-*-HKG-YVR should work
play with multi-city online, there is MUCH to learn, or have someone book/research for you for $100/person (there are paid services out there)

FAQ: How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions - FlyerTalk Forums
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-cana ... tions.html
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K
Jan 8, 2012
692 posts
487 upvotes
Williams Lake
Isshoukenmei wrote: Wow thanks for the handy link!

Could I just clarify something? Not sure if I'm understanding how the MPM works..

http://www.gcmap.com/dist?P=yvr-ath-yvr
Since YVR - ATH - YVR would be 12k miles so would my MPM be 24k miles?

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=yvr-ath-nrt-yvr
YVR to Athens with a stopover in Tokyo before going home to YVR would be 16k. Since 16k is smaller than 24k, then this trip would be valid...?
The MPM is one-way. So it's the length of the longest leg of your journey only.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3706 posts
219 upvotes
YUL
MPM is the maximum allowable distance between 2 locations, as determined by Aeroplan.
Your goal is to compare the GC ("actual") distance with the Aeroplan MPM to keep the "actual" distance below MPM.

You can call Aeroplan to ask for the MPM, or try that web browser sorcery described on the Flyertalk thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-can ... o-mpm.html
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2016
1092 posts
397 upvotes
toronto
Best way to see availability is to try one way ticket for each leg.

Best way to test if it works for MPM, since in line only allows one stop over is to do two test. Assume you are doing A-B-C-D-A, once you have availability try ABCA then ACDA, if both work you should have a viable itinerary, and then call in
Nov 26, 2012
21 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Does anyone know if there is a creative way to maximize my points for the below itinerary :

TRIP 1 : BKK-PVG (Absolute must)
TRIP 2 : YVR-anywhere (preferred)
TRIP 3: anywhere

I've got 170k points.
Nov 26, 2012
21 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
The itinerary I mentioned would be all under one reservation. Open to any fare class