Personal Finance

Aeroplan Points: Still worth it?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2018 1:17 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 2, 2006
1023 posts
7 upvotes

Aeroplan Points: Still worth it?

I recently came across a bunch of aeroplan points due to business travel and some vacations on Air Canada flights.

At this point I'm looking at about 35K in Aeroplan points. I was debating whether or not I should go and churn some credit cards to get up to 125K to get a business class long-haul fight or if I should redeem/transfer the points to another program (the transfer costs are crazy at 2cents a mile).

So couple of questions. Are there easier ways to build up my Aeroplan point balance other than churning the CIBC (50K), TD (25K) and Amex (40K) Aeroplan cards (total about 115K in points there)? Any better programs I can transfer Aeroplan points to?

Thanks
40 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2013
2706 posts
1402 upvotes
circa76 wrote: I recently came across a bunch of aeroplan points due to business travel and some vacations on Air Canada flights.

At this point I'm looking at about 35K in Aeroplan points. I was debating whether or not I should go and churn some credit cards to get up to 125K to get a business class long-haul fight or if I should redeem/transfer the points to another program (the transfer costs are crazy at 2cents a mile).

So couple of questions. Are there easier ways to build up my Aeroplan point balance other than churning the CIBC (50K), TD (25K) and Amex (40K) Aeroplan cards (total about 115K in points there)? Any better programs I can transfer Aeroplan points to?

Thanks
Have you considered just redeeming the points for a gift card? Current promotions - $250 Costco for 33,000 points or Amex $250 for 31,000 points
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 19, 2004
24159 posts
5827 upvotes
where I belong
circa76 wrote: I recently came across a bunch of aeroplan points due to business travel and some vacations on Air Canada flights.

At this point I'm looking at about 35K in Aeroplan points. I was debating whether or not I should go and churn some credit cards to get up to 125K to get a business class long-haul fight or if I should redeem/transfer the points to another program (the transfer costs are crazy at 2cents a mile).

So couple of questions. Are there easier ways to build up my Aeroplan point balance other than churning the CIBC (50K), TD (25K) and Amex (40K) Aeroplan cards (total about 115K in points there)? Any better programs I can transfer Aeroplan points to?

Thanks
35K isn't much
Bad news, Business class is now 150K (N.A. to Asia 1) from 125K

and if you are serious and want to, yes, sign up CC to get more Aeroplan points (see my signature thread)

Nothing worthy from Aeroplan to transfer to. 2 cent is the transfer fee to another AP account
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K
Jr. Member
Sep 1, 2015
150 posts
67 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
amex platinum card can boost you another 60k.
I suggest only churn cards for aeroplan if you have a clear target and travel plan in mind. Otherwise they will devalue year after year.
Banned
Nov 29, 2015
1424 posts
522 upvotes
Brossard, QC
When you redeem Aeroplan points, do choose those airlines without fuel surcharge. It will save you a lot of money.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 14, 2007
3102 posts
1515 upvotes
wxw2015 wrote: When you redeem Aeroplan points, do choose those airlines without fuel surcharge. It will save you a lot of money.
On international flights, yes. On domestic flights, the YQ is manageable. However, there have been some reductions in surcharges recently.

50,000 will get you two roundtrip flights to the arctic or to some remote place in Canada that is very expensive to fly to. If you're in Alberta, you could check out Inuvik for 15,000 points. If you're in BC, you could fly to Newfoundland or Iqaluit for 25k.

With the flight prices to Europe/Asia being so cheap recently, I'd probably try using points to book a Canadian flight... or a US flight with United. Here's the most expensive airports in America to fly out of: http://www.flyertalk.com/articles/ameri ... apest.html
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2005
2032 posts
332 upvotes
Nope. They stopped being worth crap about.... 10 years ago. Garbage!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 11, 2005
8324 posts
1237 upvotes
TO
Everyone should dump their Aeropesso. Then we can redeem for flights that are available more ;)
Achieva Financial /KOHO / STACK (0% FX Fee) /Tangerine / EQ Bank member / I use Plastiq for paying bills with my CC

"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2971 upvotes
Deal Grabber wrote: Nope. They stopped being worth crap about.... 10 years ago. Garbage!
The two First Class mini round the world trips that my wife and I have taken in the last four years says differently as do our account balances that will let us do two more.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 5, 2009
948 posts
335 upvotes
Toronto
With the recent sales on many destinations I was beginning to wonder if there is much of a point to Aeroplan, but there are still some case where it can come in handy. Flying to the Canadian Arctic is definitely a great "value" compared to paying cash for those flights, but how many people would actually want to do it? It's cold there ;) .

They can also be a good value if you need to book a long haul domestic flight during high season. Cash prices are absolutely nuts for YYZ to YVR tickets during the summer. I found a very good itinerary - direct flights - less than a week out for the base price of 25k miles. Saved me about $800 compared to paying cash, which is over 3¢/mile.

That said, I do prefer keeping everything in Amex as long as possible because at lease those can always be redeemed for 1¢ whereas with Aeroplan, if you don't have a trip in mind or they don't have availability - you're stuck.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 24, 2017
5455 posts
3994 upvotes
Not worth it imo. You need to do a lot of thinking and calculation before using your points. To maximize the value, you are limited to business class in specific timeframe and destinations. That means ap is not flexible at all. Well, if you are retired, ap might be good for you.
Jr. Member
Jun 21, 2012
130 posts
17 upvotes
Winnipeg
Still worth it, especially when you get the credit cards and points for FREE!!!

Check out Jerry Hung's list
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5061 posts
1158 upvotes
It's not a matter of worth it or not. It's a bonus to have aeroplan points. You don't deliberately try to get Aeroplan Miles. You just incidentally earn them as you buy things you would have anyways. Between buying something and getting some points, and buying something and getting NO points, obviously I want points.

Many rewards programs are the same. They go through points inflation over time. And a lot of them have crappy selection. Aeroplan works for me because if I take an airplane, I can get a small reward in points each time. And air travel is something I know I will do. Also, I usually get gas at Esso which also helps to build up my points. Basically whenever I get gas, I get aeroplan points + my cc's 2%.

My wallet is big enough to carry a few key reward cards. Aeroplan, Canadian Tire, and Vicinity are what I typically carry in my wallet. No Air Miles. I gave up on Air Miles as I rarely shop in places partnered with Air Miles.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 5, 2009
948 posts
335 upvotes
Toronto
BananaHunter wrote: It's not a matter of worth it or not. It's a bonus to have aeroplan points. You don't deliberately try to get Aeroplan Miles. You just incidentally earn them as you buy things you would have anyways. Between buying something and getting some points, and buying something and getting NO points, obviously I want points.

Many rewards programs are the same. They go through points inflation over time. And a lot of them have crappy selection. Aeroplan works for me because if I take an airplane, I can get a small reward in points each time. And air travel is something I know I will do. Also, I usually get gas at Esso which also helps to build up my points. Basically whenever I get gas, I get aeroplan points + my cc's 2%.

My wallet is big enough to carry a few key reward cards. Aeroplan, Canadian Tire, and Vicinity are what I typically carry in my wallet. No Air Miles. I gave up on Air Miles as I rarely shop in places partnered with Air Miles.
It is pretty much not worth it to try and earn Aeroplan points on your partner purchases unless you run through tons and tons of expenses that way. Consider that flight redemptions start at 15K points - how long will it realistically take for you to collect enough to redeem for anything of value? If it's more than a year or two, I doubt it is worth the hassle of always remembering to swipe the card or worse, change your shopping habits just to earn points. If you are an actual frequent flyer and/ or churn cards, you can rake in enough points to redeem a few times a year, otherwise I would not bother.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 3, 2006
10378 posts
740 upvotes
Toronto
United MileagePlus is a better program than Aeroplan. There are less surcharges on reward redemption flights and miles don't expire as long as you have activity within the last 18 months (12 months for Aeroplan). However, being in Canada, it is easier to come across Aeroplan points. It is a even bigger rip off to transfer points to another program. I would just redeem for a domestic flight within NA with the 35k and switch to a different program.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2971 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote: I would say it's not worth it unless you fly often for work (getting loads of free miles).
My household has accumulated hundreds of thousands of points without flying hardly at all so IS worth it.
Moderator
User avatar
Mar 23, 2004
43283 posts
9203 upvotes
Markham
Conquistador wrote: My household has accumulated hundreds of thousands of points without flying hardly at all so IS worth it.
It has nothing to getting a lot of them through various methods that involve work (application, filling in surveys, etc etc). It has more to do with them being worth less and less. Since you are flying for work, you get them no matter what anyway.

But of course, everyone's opinion is different. Def. NOT worth it for me at all (but i still collect them through survey/work).
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 3, 2006
10378 posts
740 upvotes
Toronto
Conquistador wrote: My household has accumulated hundreds of thousands of points without flying hardly at all so IS worth it.
Even a shitty restaurant can be "worth it" if you have lots of coupons to eat there for free. That has nothing to do with the intrinsic value of having a meal the restaurant itself though.

Top