After accident advice

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2020 1:02 pm
[OP]
Feb 26, 2019
440 posts
511 upvotes

After accident advice

So, unfortunately, I was involved in an accident but fortunately no injuries to either party. I was driving down a one way street and a woman who parked on the right opened her door without looking, I could have maybe reacted quicker but tagged her door, no witnesses. She was unable to produce her insurance citing she had just moved and didn't know where it was (while being extremely rude) got her license and plate though. Filed the police report, started a claim and its been a few weeks with repairs underway on my car. My agent said she would be at fault for not looking before opening the door, police seemed to agree when I filed. She vehemently denies this and yesterday came to my house with a note demanding that I pay for her damage because she's on benefits/has minimal coverage etc... Should I just ignore it and let insurance figure it out or get the police involved if she moves to further harass me? Thanks.
13 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13108 posts
4709 upvotes
Ontario
I would call your insurance and give them a copy of the note. you may also want to invest in a camera on the outside of your home just in case she comes back.

venom21 wrote: So, unfortunately, I was involved in an accident but fortunately no injuries to either party. I was driving down a one way street and a woman who parked on the right opened her door without looking, I could have maybe reacted quicker but tagged her door, no witnesses. She was unable to produce her insurance citing she had just moved and didn't know where it was (while being extremely rude) got her license and plate though. Filed the police report, started a claim and its been a few weeks with repairs underway on my car. My agent said she would be at fault for not looking before opening the door, police seemed to agree when I filed. She vehemently denies this and yesterday came to my house with a note demanding that I pay for her damage because she's on benefits/has minimal coverage etc... Should I just ignore it and let insurance figure it out or get the police involved if she moves to further harass me? Thanks.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11094 posts
4339 upvotes
Doesn't sound like you are at fault. If this was reported to police and insurance then let them handle it. What province are you in?
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1541 posts
790 upvotes
She is 100% at fault. Just tell her if she has any problems to contact her insurance and/or police and you do not want to deal with her.
[OP]
Feb 26, 2019
440 posts
511 upvotes
blexann wrote: Doesn't sound like you are at fault. If this was reported to police and insurance then let them handle it. What province are you in?
Alberta
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23260 posts
4696 upvotes
Niagara Falls
If she comes back just tell her you're going through insurance and if she has any requests she should contact her insurance and let them figure it out. Under no circumstances should you entertain paying her any money at all, even it if was your fault (which it doesn't seem like it was), let your insurance company take care of it, that's why we pay for insurance.
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15006 posts
11534 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Bet you her car is all banged up.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Feb 26, 2019
440 posts
511 upvotes
So a dumb/weird twist:

Rental car company gave me a Mercedes to drive assuming that my insurance would qualify my vehicle (Tesla Model 3 LR) as a luxury vehicle. Fast forward to today, its been almost a month, TD is classifying my car as a compact and are refusing to pay enterprise for the rental. Am I screwed and have to cover the costs? This has been a real nightmare, at least the other party hasn't bothered me anymore.
May 9, 2018
73 posts
38 upvotes
venom21 wrote: So a dumb/weird twist:

Rental car company gave me a Mercedes to drive assuming that my insurance would qualify my vehicle (Tesla Model 3 LR) as a luxury vehicle. Fast forward to today, its been almost a month, TD is classifying my car as a compact and are refusing to pay enterprise for the rental. Am I screwed and have to cover the costs? This has been a real nightmare, at least the other party hasn't bothered me anymore.
Wow that seems strange. Having gone through rental via insurance for an accident before, one thing you should watch for is how much $$ the cap is for rental(assuming you have a clause like this). When my MB went in I was told 3-4 weeks to order parts and complete the repair. If I had stayed with the luxury class I would have hit my cap in week 2, so I lowered the class and was covered for the duration (note the rental company does not know the cap, if the insurance company didn't mention in when I called them, I may have been out of pocket)

Not sure if your insurance has a similar clause but it is something you may want to check, It may also help with understanding what your insurance does/doesn't cover in the rental.
[OP]
Feb 26, 2019
440 posts
511 upvotes
TonyG35088 wrote: Wow that seems strange. Having gone through rental via insurance for an accident before, one thing you should watch for is how much $$ the cap is for rental(assuming you have a clause like this). When my MB went in I was told 3-4 weeks to order parts and complete the repair. If I had stayed with the luxury class I would have hit my cap in week 2, so I lowered the class and was covered for the duration (note the rental company does not know the cap, if the insurance company didn't mention in when I called them, I may have been out of pocket)

Not sure if your insurance has a similar clause but it is something you may want to check, It may also help with understanding what your insurance does/doesn't cover in the rental.
I had a $5000 cap so I'm well under it.
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10125 posts
980 upvotes
Toronto
TonyG35088 wrote: Wow that seems strange. Having gone through rental via insurance for an accident before, one thing you should watch for is how much $$ the cap is for rental(assuming you have a clause like this). When my MB went in I was told 3-4 weeks to order parts and complete the repair. If I had stayed with the luxury class I would have hit my cap in week 2, so I lowered the class and was covered for the duration (note the rental company does not know the cap, if the insurance company didn't mention in when I called them, I may have been out of pocket)

Always have a encnobox rental the smallest car due to how long it's gonna take to fix.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2012
1082 posts
717 upvotes
Toronto
venom21 wrote: So a dumb/weird twist:

First, checked what is your daily max rental rate from TD. Then asked Enterprise if they can offer you discount to match it. I was in an accident 2 years ago. My insurance company doesn’t have “luxury” rate despite my car was categorized under luxury. First I got a CRV which I maxed out the daily allowed rate. After a week, I talked to rental company about not being offered a luxury rental and they offered me discount. They switched me into a Mercedes and cut the daily rate 30% to match my coverage max rate.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)