Home & Garden

After cleaning wood deck with pressure washer, should you do something to it afterwards?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2018 4:26 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1965 posts
334 upvotes

After cleaning wood deck with pressure washer, should you do something to it afterwards?

i just powered washed my deck. now it looks almost new.

is there something i should apply to it? and how long can . i expect it to look "new"?

its pressure treated woood.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2624 posts
1615 upvotes
Alliston, ON
You need to stain it with a good oil based stain
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
7569 posts
2464 upvotes
0 downvotes
you might want to let it dry fully after pressure washing it before you apply tompsons water seal. it needs to be dry for the stain to "cure" properly
Supermarket worker at Fortino's
I'm Not a Wise Guy but more of a Good Fella~!
Drive an Escalade
Dec 31, 2007
490 posts
149 upvotes
if the power wash didn't splinter the deck wood too much your should just apply some good oil based stain. i would sand the deck smooth to remove the splinters. do not use thompson's water seal. it's cheap and not very good

it doesn't really provide good protection.

https://www.deckstainhelp.com/thompsons ... sh-review/

check out the big thread on stains like ac, twp, sansin or cutek
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1965 posts
334 upvotes
gladiator1942 wrote: if the power wash didn't splinter the deck wood too much your should just apply some good oil based stain. i would sand the deck smooth to remove the splinters. do not use thompson's water seal. it's cheap and not very good

it doesn't really provide good protection.

https://www.deckstainhelp.com/thompsons ... sh-review/

is there another water sealer u recomend?
check out the big thread on stains like ac, twp, sansin or cutek
is there another water sealer you recomend? the reviews on it on canadian tires website seem positive....although its a "tested for life" reviews lol
Dec 31, 2007
490 posts
149 upvotes
i got the twp from the sealer store. both the twp and ac are recommended. i used it for my fences and deck, but the stain is good for both fences and decks.

these products are oil based and the wood absorbed it well and doesn't form a paint layer. before i educated myself on exterior wood stain, i was going to buy the thompson water sealer cause it's so cheap. i think it's like $25 per gallon. but after i had stain peeling problems on my deck, i read up on the best stain and deck and fence prep. i decided the best way is to get the non-paint stains that soaks into the wood.

so far it's been a year and it has been great. the water and rain just beads on the boards. my neighbor even asked me about is as his fences are starting to turn grey/black with UV damage and mold. the stain will fade over time and exposure to the elements but at least i don't have to deal with stripper old stain off and sanding the entire fence and deck anymore.

just make sure you prep the surface with cleaners and sand if required. if done right, you only need to do a light washing/cleaning before you put a another coat to rejuvenate the finish.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2015
1568 posts
522 upvotes
The deckstainshelp site could be biased cause they promote the products they sell.
Thompson's has a relatively new oil based product called timber oil. You may want to check that out.
Dec 31, 2007
490 posts
149 upvotes
yep, i've read some forums where the site has some affiliation with the manufacturer and i would agree they are biased.

but i did enough reading around and visits to paint store like bm, sw and dulux and big box like home depot to realized that the stuff they sell in big box stores isn't very good. the stain they sold in the paint store was hard to find reviews, sansin and cutek, but ultimately i went with twp. i was at the sealer store and had my choice of either brand. i was able to pickup their cleaning chemicals too which was a bonus too.

and you do get what you pay for. just don't apply a crappy product cause the clean up and re-finishing is a lot more work.