Automotive

After the USA, is Canada the next cheapest in terms of new car prices?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2016 4:30 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54640 posts
19440 upvotes

After the USA, is Canada the next cheapest in terms of new car prices?

It seems new immigrants find car (especially the ones with luxury badges) prices in Canada much cheaper than they were back home, especially with European imports.

Barring the USA, are there other countries were cars are sold much cheaper than here in Canada? Sounds as if people are not balling here in Canada but understand they can drive fancier cars on more expansive roads.

I have a Taiwanese friend whose dad just purchased a MB ML400 in Taiwan for around $200k CAD. The same car is probably $65k here, or not even?

Thoughts?
15 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1811 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
I know many countries impose import taxes that are near 100% so cars are literally double the price.. This applies to India, China etc. I know many people that have the likes of entry level luxury cars like A4/Q5 and are paying $80-90k when converted. I believe even Japanese cars like Hondas are considerably more expensive too
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4754 posts
5878 upvotes
Toronto, ON
2K6TSX wrote: I know many countries impose import taxes that are near 100% so cars are literally double the price..
Higher tax on cars, but when you factor in the much lower tax on income compared to Canada and HST on everyday goods, there is really not much difference. Gots to bend over for the taxman one way or another.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54640 posts
19440 upvotes
er34er34 wrote: Higher tax on cars, but when you factor in the much lower tax on income compared to Canada and HST on everyday goods, there is really not much difference. Gots to bend over for the taxman one way or another.
The higher you spend on your autos, the bigger the differential. :)

Actually, consumption tax is touted to be much better than other forms of taxation but of course I agree with you, the less the better.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13901 posts
8994 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
I thought China has the cheapest cars.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2780 posts
1792 upvotes
Toronto, ON
A lot of places have taxes+duties that go up (sometimes up to 4-5x!) based on engine displacement.

Any such country is going to have ridiculously expensive cars.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54640 posts
19440 upvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Domestic made in china cars I meant.
Used, much much cheaper as it is likely considered a Japanese auto dumping ground, similar to many other countries in the Asia Pacific.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2002
4555 posts
1076 upvotes
er34er34 wrote: Higher tax on cars, but when you factor in the much lower tax on income compared to Canada and HST on everyday goods, there is really not much difference. Gots to bend over for the taxman one way or another.
Most countries (especially in Europe) that have high taxes on cars also have high income taxes and VATs.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3896 posts
2707 upvotes
Vancouver
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Domestic made in china cars I meant.
Most of the domestic brands in China are joint ventures with Honda, Ford, BMW, etc. As a result, they inherit a lot of knowledge and know how.

In general, I would say the build quality is on par or better than Japanese off brands like Suzuki, Mitsubishi, and Subaru.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21190 posts
10651 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
alanbrenton wrote: Yeah, it took me more than a decade to figure this one out. No more sub $30k cars for me then. :)

The Ten Most Expensive Places To Buy A Car
http://jalopnik.com/the-ten-most-expens ... 1256855393
Lol my mom is actually from st Kitts and Nevis. She told me that some doctor or lawyer once gave her and her parents a ride in his rolls Royce when she was young. Would've been back in the early 60s I guess. That whip must've cost that guy 1000000000000000 dollars.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
809 upvotes
Waterloo
2K6TSX wrote: I know many countries impose import taxes that are near 100% so cars are literally double the price.. This applies to India, China etc. I know many people that have the likes of entry level luxury cars like A4/Q5 and are paying $80-90k when converted. I believe even Japanese cars like Hondas are considerably more expensive too
maybe back a few years back countries could impose tariffs like that, but any member country of GATT/ WTO cannot do that anymore or risks fines. I'm prety sure even India doesnt do that anymore.

Taxes have to be inline with domestic produces cars.
Now if on certain specifications of cars they have higher domestic taxes that will translate into higher price. e,g many countries have higher taxes on cars with larger engines,( Japan germany etc ) that translates into cars with larger bodies being taxed higher regardless of them being imports or domestic.
Here in Canada there is no distinction in those regards. hence larger vehicles are less expensive than in many other countries.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1811 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
Supahhh wrote: maybe back a few years back countries could impose tariffs like that, but any member country of GATT/ WTO cannot do that anymore or risks fines. I'm prety sure even India doesnt do that anymore.

Taxes have to be inline with domestic produces cars.
Now if on certain specifications of cars they have higher domestic taxes that will translate into higher price. e,g many countries have higher taxes on cars with larger engines,( Japan germany etc ) that translates into cars with larger bodies being taxed higher regardless of them being imports or domestic.
Here in Canada there is no distinction in those regards. hence larger vehicles are less expensive than in many other countries.
Very cool. In that case it makes sense but I think what probably plays a factor is that these 'nicer' cars are larger than their domestic counterparts and often times probably have larger engines too.. I know personally of people that have 8+ cylinder cars and have paid nearly $300k USD for them when they'd be less than half of that in Canada and likely even less in the US