Cell Phones

After years of iOS I want to go to android.. which phone to buy?

• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2018 7:48 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2014
1073 posts
1308 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Viper98 wrote: Ok.

Just go buy a flip phone, because you obviously don't understand how apps need access to stuff to function. You can't just blanket deny permission to all apps, or it WILL cause those apps not to work properly. A number of apps REQUIRE access to certain things, and that is why it asks you on a per app basis. It gives you the choice if you want to break the app by denying it permissions.
I’ll accept fault for being so careless as to have expressed an opinion that reflects negatively on the ever dear and precious Android.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28752 posts
1370 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
It does raise a very valid point. The way Android is structured, apps have to ask for all these permissions that with iOS you do not see. It just happens behind the scenes & for the ones you want to limit (geo/background etc misc), you can custom set.

It is very fascinating to consider how different apps get permissions on both platforms.

At this point of the game, I can't see any of the flagship devices really being subpar. Maybe 5+years ago, OK, but at this point, any Android flagship will do all that you want & more..and do it well.

The hard part about switching from iOS to Android is in 'how' Android happens & how each phone does it 'their way'. Bringing up contacts, searching, searching for a photo, camera rolls, default settings, to name a few.

I would bet that this is gonna be one of those rocking boat experiences. You won't switch over cold turkey. It'll be a rocking process. Back and forth over a few years, till you finally rock it hard enough that it tips over & you finally stick with Android.

My biggest gripe with leaving iOS is losing my playlists, losing all my photo albums that I've synced with the previous 4-5 iPhones that I've had. These are cherished memories, wedding, children, important events, I've enjoyed having them 'offline' available on my phone, to be modified and sync'd at a click of a convenient mouse button, whether I'm at home, or travelling internationally without wifi/roam like home...now it's so much more tedious & I gave up trying to understand how to do it on Android 'as easily' and as 'freely' as I was able to for YEARS with iTunes.

Best of luck.
PayTM$154, dead. SDM: $5342 Rakuten: $181.98
100% Established: BST; Heat; FB market; Kijiji *BST: FS Mens Shoes & Boots: Viberg, Allend Edmonds, Red Wings, misc,*
*Various Szs Vintage: Florsheim Imperial
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
bubble.tea wrote: My biggest gripe with leaving iOS is losing my playlists, losing all my photo albums that I've synced with the previous 4-5 iPhones that I've had. These are cherished memories, wedding, children, important events, I've enjoyed having them 'offline' available on my phone, to be modified and sync'd at a click of a convenient mouse button, whether I'm at home, or travelling internationally without wifi/roam like home...now it's so much more tedious & I gave up trying to understand how to do it on Android 'as easily' and as 'freely' as I was able to for YEARS with iTunes.
Now there is an updated full brown substitute of that - Whatsapp .
But you need to start from scratch and there is no direct syn from your data with iTune at all (to whatsapp).
Whatsapp with the group function (alumni, interest groups, sport groups, classmate group.......). And by default all (video, chat, audio, contacts...)will be saved to Google drive (under Android)
It is just as easy and free as iTune- you do not even need to know at all LOL
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1757 posts
1270 upvotes
Burnaby
I'm surprised everyone here is choosing to ignore a phone that has a standby time of 45 days, 4tb storage space, bezel-less phone out there

Instead, everyone's just listing out last gen phones
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
lefroset wrote: I’ll accept fault for being so careless as to have expressed an opinion that reflects negatively on the ever dear and precious Android.
Allowing users to make choice (once ) on various permisions, it does not reflect negativity on the part of the software system at all.
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2014
1073 posts
1308 upvotes
Southern Ontario
danieltoronto wrote: Allowing users to make choice (once ) on various permisions, it does not reflect negativity on the part of the software system at all.
Since this seems to mean so much to you, I'll spell it out a little more. In my original post I said "far-reaching requests for permissions", which is referring to the fact that too many apps ask for far more than they really need. You're full of it if you try to defend that.