For/Against schools reopening?

[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11536 posts
2532 upvotes
Montreal

For/Against schools reopening?

For moderators : Please don't transfert this to the "Students" forum as this pertains to parents with kids in elementary and highschool.

Quebec is talking about reopening schools gradually and it got me curious as to how parents (and teachers) felt about sending kids back to school.

We follow all these strict guidelines to stay 2 meters away, wash our hands, not touch our face, etc. We stay at home, we don't go out unless it's absolutely essential, we work from home if possible. All these great efforts are to keep the curve down.

In my opinion, all these efforts will be in vain if schools reopen. How can we expect kids in elementary school and highschool to follow the hygiene guidelines while being near each other, especially with elementary school kids, they're the worst.

I don't see how it would be possible to go back to school even if we wait for the next school year without causing another wave.
182 replies
Jun 12, 2008
896 posts
330 upvotes
Ripley
I have a senior in highschool. I would love for her to go back! Prom, grad, memories. She also hates online classes even though she has had to take some online courses the last 2 years.

I also have a Grade 7 kid. Our highschool is Grades 7 to 12. I could care less if she went back. She is doing so much better with online classes. She has some strong personalities in her class and she is a very shy kid. Online work levels the playing field for her because she can just work without the noise.

Until there is a vaccine there is no way to prevent another wave. They could spend 2020-2021 school year at home, go back in Fall of 2021 and have another wave. There are other countries where the kids are still in school. How are they doing it?

We already avoid other people. We don't visit family. We have good hand washing hygiene. But 3 out of 5 of us work outside the home. I'm not sure having 1 going to school would put us more at risk but I also know she is uber responsible. I see many groups of her peers that have never stopped hanging out together.

I might feel different if I had little kids.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4041 posts
433 upvotes
Toronto
He did mention that 80% of the cases are in long term care facilities.

I would support a gradual reopening of schools in the coming weeks.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11536 posts
2532 upvotes
Montreal
zeddy wrote: I have a senior in highschool. I would love for her to go back! Prom, grad, memories. She also hates online classes even though she has had to take some online courses the last 2 years.

I also have a Grade 7 kid. Our highschool is Grades 7 to 12. I could care less if she went back. She is doing so much better with online classes. She has some strong personalities in her class and she is a very shy kid. Online work levels the playing field for her because she can just work without the noise.
That's pretty interesting and I have a similar experience with my kids and myself (I'm bad in university class, but leave me to study on my own and I excel).

This makes a good subject to debate whether in-school classes are disadvantaging certain students as much as online classes disadvantage other students.
zeddy wrote: Until there is a vaccine there is no way to prevent another wave. They could spend 2020-2021 school year at home, go back in Fall of 2021 and have another wave. There are other countries where the kids are still in school. How are they doing it?
I don't know which countries are keeping the school open, but I guess their COVID19 situation would have an impact.

USA for example is doing really bad and some states are keeping their schools open, it doesn't mean it works well.
zeddy wrote: We already avoid other people. We don't visit family. We have good hand washing hygiene. But 3 out of 5 of us work outside the home. I'm not sure having 1 going to school would put us more at risk but I also know she is uber responsible. I see many groups of her peers that have never stopped hanging out together.
Elementary schools would be a big problem considering the immaturity of the kids and their lack of respect for hygiene. If your kid is sick from being a snot-gobbler, you won't be able to protect yourself as easily as just washing hands and keeping your distance (Go away son! you're sick, stay in the garage for 3 weeks).

NEMESIS_2008 wrote: He did mention that 80% of the cases are in long term care facilities.
80% of deaths, not cases
In Quebec, people 70+ of age make up 31% of the cases.... and we are targetting THEM and the health workers for the tests. So there are plenty more people under 70 that are sick but not reported.
NEMESIS_2008 wrote: I would support a gradual reopening of schools in the coming weeks.
I don't know what "gradual" would mean. You can't "gradually" go to school, you either show up or you don't.

Just because they start at 25% student presence and gradually increase to 100%, it won't make it any safer at 100% unless you wait for months for the first 25% to get sick.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3997 posts
630 upvotes
Toronto
It's hard to imagine a better virus-spreading environment than a school. You take (a) a bunch of individuals with bad hygiene practices, then (b) stuff them into confined spaces for (c) extended periods of time every day. They'll all get infected and bring the virus home to their parents. The fact that kids seem to be mostly asymptomatic when it comes to COVID-19 is just icing on the cake (they'll be sick and you won't know it)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33040 posts
18827 upvotes
Ottawa
Yes please.
Social distance is affecting their social behavior negatively.
They need to be with their peers and teachers.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2417 posts
2002 upvotes
Montreal
This virus is not going away, no matter how well we socially distance. Not until we either get a vaccine (years away, not 18 months), or 60%+ of the population is infected (natural immunity), or we have widespread instant testing.

So. Are we going to keep schools closed for 2 years? No.

Therefore better to reopen now.
Feb 17, 2015
579 posts
719 upvotes
Canada
I think were forgetting about flattening the curve. Until weve flatten the curve significantly then they can start talking opening the schools.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1332 posts
983 upvotes
British Columbia
Schools should be the last things to open. I know they're the first thing most people want (if nothing than for their own sanity), but realistically, it isn't practical to do so while stopping the spread of this virus; kids are often asymptomatic, in close quarters with other children and combined with terrible hygiene, they will spread it to all their friends and family, who then spread it to all their friends, family, coworkers and the public at large. We are already grappling with community spread as it is. It wouldn't be much different than the outbreaks we're seeing at meat processing plants but on a larger scale of the population. We need better treatments that are proven effective, protective equipment readily available and manufactured in Canada (a reliable source), and hopefully at least a glimmer of workable vaccination on the horizon before attempting opening schools. We are easily able to go the route of places like Italy if we jump back into things unprepared.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
4766 posts
1270 upvotes
Toronto
Considering the number of times I got sick (and with weird symptoms) from my kids back when I picked them up from daycare/school..... yeahhhh opening up schools will for sure spread this virus around to all family households in no time.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
18328 posts
2755 upvotes
Langley
Not until September at least.
Feb 9, 2005
812 posts
117 upvotes
I'm all for keeping the virus at bay and schools would probably not help that. I think it's part of the conversation because, how do you get people back to work if their kids aren't at school. Or with the summer coming, camps/daycare/childcare/etc. Starting businesses and work back up without thinking of what you do with all the kids..... what a daunting task.
Nov 7, 2013
692 posts
461 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm not sure I can say I'm for the schools opening; kids are germ spreaders as others have mentioned. But I am certainly for my kids getting far more instructional schooling via online courses. Both in elementary, they get less than 3 hours work a week and most teachers aren't even "present" (by this I mean checking in online in any way) more than twice a week.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1089 posts
1366 upvotes
NEMESIS_2008 wrote: He did mention that 80% of the cases are in long term care facilities.

I would support a gradual reopening of schools in the coming weeks.
80% of cases were also at one point in China, Italy, or Spain. That means the rest of the world is safe, right?
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
2479 posts
1381 upvotes
I am not sure why the users that are "for" reopening schools think that their kids or other kids are not asymptomatic carriers of the virus or are somehow immune. They will spread the virus not even knowing it. The testing numbers that we are getting here in Canada are false as they are only testing people that have advanced symptoms. Imagine how many adults and kids that have this and dont know it. If schools get reopened then everything should be reopened with that logic. And I know the "well everyone is staying home and the curve is flattening" comments are coming towards me. well just go outside and look around, its business as usual where I am, just because you are inside doesn't mean that everyone is inside. Maybe in smaller cities it will be eventually logical to open more stores and schools but not in the big cities.

FYI, I know its not the same here but I have 2 friends in the states that work for 2 different states school boards and they both said that the decision to scrap the entire school year has been made but they are waiting on the announcement. I would expect the same here.

having said all of that, I do not have school age children so I am not in the same boat and dont really have a solid opinion
Got that Zoomer account!