[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
21136 posts
23347 upvotes
Toronto

Air Canada- COVID-19 coverage at no extra cost

https://torontosun.com/travel/internati ... 1599060002

Air Canada, struggling like airlines around the world as the COVID-19 pandemic continues to hit finances hard, has announced that it will offer Canadian travellers COVID-19-based medical insurance at no extra cost.
Things changed now that I’m a father, I can’t live my life a quarter mile at a time anymore.
26 replies
May 8, 2016
84 posts
473 upvotes
If they manage to mishandle something as common as cancelled flights due to staff or aircraft issues. I can't imagine them handling this any better. The company is a joke.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10865 posts
5978 upvotes
Markham
This insurance is being offered by Allianz Global Assistance....I have a DO NOT TRUST rating on them LOL - see my thread below.

when-we-get-back-travel-do-not-buy-alli ... #p33033292

Nothing like a brain tumour and a lot of media attention before they will pay.

https://www.lowestrates.ca/news/kitchen ... r-thailand

The lesson here is buy from someone else.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
14945 posts
15843 upvotes
Oakville
gr8dlr wrote: This insurance is being offered by Allianz Global Assistance....I have a DO NOT TRUST rating on them LOL - see my thread below.

when-we-get-back-travel-do-not-buy-alli ... #p33033292

Nothing like a brain tumour and a lot of media attention before they will pay.

https://www.lowestrates.ca/news/kitchen ... r-thailand

The lesson here is buy from someone else.
Sounds like a good partner for Air Canada.
Dec 12, 2018
22 posts
27 upvotes
Everyone should jump on this deal to help improve my stocks.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16566 posts
2283 upvotes
But they won't offer refunds... so no travel for me until things settle down.
Sep 29, 2010
259 posts
291 upvotes
coolspot wrote: But they won't offer refunds... so no travel for me until things settle down.
my thoughts exactly...
if they refuse to refund passengers their own cash (which is basically equivalent to theft)... how likely is it that they will dole out cash for an insurance claim...
how gullible does AC think the travelling public are...?
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
1572 posts
656 upvotes
Toronto
Putting sprinkles over s**t is still s**t.
Refund the covid cancelled tickets first, then talk.
Dec 17, 2015
75 posts
178 upvotes
Greenfield Park, QC
The problem is not getting insurance that will pay for your healthcare bill if you fall ill while abroad. The problem is actually receiving proper care when many countries’ health infrastructures are overloaded. No insurance will magically create a nurse, doctor, hospital bed and respirator for you.
Aug 12, 2014
216 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto, ON
sprung wrote: https://torontosun.com/travel/internati ... 1599060002

Air Canada, struggling like airlines around the world as the COVID-19 pandemic continues to hit finances hard, has announced that it will offer Canadian travellers COVID-19-based medical insurance at no extra cost.
covers up to 100K$ only, meaning it might not be enough. looking at the patient in Seattle from the news, it costs him over 1M. hospital bill from the south might be cheaper but i doubt that it's less than half of what it costs in the usa
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4055 posts
1311 upvotes
WFH
They've probably burned through most of the money they refused to return to customers after they cancelled their flights on them. Time for another round of financing? don't fall for it!
Mar 11, 2009
61 posts
111 upvotes
Calgary
wirespeed wrote: covers up to 100K$ only, meaning it might not be enough. looking at the patient in Seattle from the news, it costs him over 1M. hospital bill from the south might be cheaper but i doubt that it's less than half of what it costs in the usa
You underestimate how expensive healthcare is in North America.
Hospital bill from the south would be WAY less than 1 million.

Of course it depends on the country but let's take Brazil as an example (article in Portuguese):
https://agenciabrasil.ebc.com.br/saude/ ... %A7%C3%A3o
As internações por covid-19 com unidade de tratamento intensivo (UTI), por exemplo, tiveram custo médio diário de R$ 4.035, com tempo médio de internação de 11,5 dias e custo total no período de R$ 45.558, enquanto as internações por covid-19 sem UTI apresentaram custo médio/dia de R$ 1.705, tempo médio de internação de 5,3 dias e custo total de R$ 8.972.
Translation:
Hospitalizations for covid-19 with an intensive care unit (ICU), for example, had an average daily cost of R$ 4,035, with an average hospital stay of 11.5 days and total cost in the period of R$ 45,558, while hospitalizations per covid-19 without ICU had an average daily cost of R$ 1,705, an average hospital stay of 5.3 days and a total cost of R$ 8,972.
So the average total cost for a patient who requires ICU is 45,558 BRL, which is 8,591 USD or 11,224 CAD.
Average non-ICU hospitalizations cost: 8,972 BRL = 1,691 USD = 2,209 CAD.

These are only averages but you get the idea.
Anyone who's ever required medical care outside of North America and maybe Europe knows that 1 million is an absurd cost you only get in places like the US and Canada.

With that said, I wouldn't trust Air Canada to provide insurance. There are options available at the moment including 1-year / multi-trip plans:
https://www.traveloffpath.com/covid-19- ... canadians/
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1084 posts
544 upvotes
Toronto
Hospital care in North America is seriously overpriced. It other countries, it's much, much cheaper and not necessarily any worse unless you need some cutting edge treatment or in a place where there is conflict or serious lack of infrastructure.
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2016
1617 posts
1457 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Allianz denied our cancelled flight reimbursement even though there is nothing in the contract that allows them legally to treat voucher as refund.

I didn't fight it because my credit card chargeback was successful. But imagine having to worry about expenses and yours or your family health at the same time, and having to hire lawyer and wait for court system to hear your case against the company.

That is if they don't plant a fine print somewhere.

Can't trust any Canadian company in the travel sector anymore.