• Oct 18th, 2019 7:16 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6796 posts
2760 upvotes
Montreal

Air Canada Benefits with TD Infinite Visa

Questions to those who have used the AC benefits with this card. I booked a flight for my wife and I with my Aeroplan points. I used the fixed rates and paid the taxes with my wife's TD card. For the first free checked bag, can I show my own TD card to get the benefit even though I did not used it to pay for the booking?

Also, for the Maple Leaf Lounge benefit, can my wife show her TD card to get in? By reading the terms, it seems like the Aeroplan account used to book the flight needs to match with the name on the TD card. Or will she be able to use that benefit since her name is on the booking?

Thanks
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
3166 posts
3105 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
If it’s your aeroplan account and her card then maybe not. Can call and ask. If they say no then complain and they might offer you something because their requirements are very picky.

The T&C say the aeroplan account and card holder have to match. Not sure how strictly this is enforced. I used my dads aeroplan points to redeem for a flight and paid with my TD visa infinite card and I didn’t get any of the perks. Also even if it did the lounge is a one person one time pass and the lounge dragons don’t usually let guests in unless they have to (the lounge is already packed full).

Maybe because it’s your wife they’ll be more courteous but the AC benefits on this card have been useless for me lol.
3 All Air Canada benefits are fulfilled in whole or in part by Air Canada, or its designated affiliates or other third parties, and are subject to change at any time. The Toronto-Dominion Bank and its affiliates are not responsible for fulfilling these benefits. For more details about these benefits, please contact Air Canada directly. Air Canada Benefit Eligibility – Priority Travel Services: With the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card, Air Canada benefits (the complimentary first checked bag, priority check-in and priority boarding) apply whenever the Primary Cardholder travels using an Aeroplan flight reward, only, on a flight operated by Air Canada, Air Canada rouge or under the Air Canada express banner. Flights operated by other airlines are not eligible. To access these benefits, the Primary Cardholder must redeem their Aeroplan flight reward (defined as Fixed Mileage Flight RewardsTM or Market Fare Flight RewardsTM) with miles from their Aeroplan account. To access these benefits, the Primary Cardholder must also ensure that the name on the Air Canada flight booking is identical to the name on the Aeroplan account profile of the traveler
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16745 posts
6969 upvotes
We did this recently - we "bought" the flights on our TD First Class Visa (the taxes) when redeeming our Aeroplan points. Afterwards we got the Aeroplan VISA for the signup promo and were given the free checked bag. Both times the ticketing agent said it was "on file" and there was no hassle (we had to see an agent to check our car seats and such).

I have no ideas about the lounge passes because I would not let two toddlers run wild in there as it's not appropriate. My wife did not see the same humour when I offered to take advantage of the benefit by myself...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6796 posts
2760 upvotes
Montreal
Just spoke with a friend who works for Air Canada.
Seems like only the primary card holder associated with the Aeroplan account has access to the benefits. And that It should still apply even though my card wasn't used for payment.

Gonna tell my wife to wait outside while I enjoy the lounge buffet!
lol...
Mar 9, 2014
378 posts
173 upvotes
Stouffville
Madevilz wrote: Just spoke with a friend who works for Air Canada.
Seems like only the primary card holder associated with the Aeroplan account has access to the benefits. And that It should still apply even though my card wasn't used for payment.

Gonna tell my wife to wait outside while I enjoy the lounge buffet!
lol...
lol.. sometimes it depends on the person at the desk. When I was travelling, I had the card but my friend did not. They still allowed him in with me as a courtesy.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6796 posts
2760 upvotes
Montreal
I just checked in, I added 1 bag to my name. It didnt ask me for payment and just sent me my e ticket with no mention of the bag. Does that mean that it was included? If i remember correctly, last time I checked in with AC, I paid for the bag during check in.