Travel

Air Canada is best airline in North America?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2022 12:17 am
[OP]
Jun 2, 2011
311 posts
510 upvotes
Toronto

Air Canada is best airline in North America?

Interesting too see Air Canada is named best airline in North America. I would think with a 40% percent on time rate recently, lost luggage and the pilots error i hear about, they would be at the buttom. I guess we don't know we have it so good? https://www.google.com/amp/s/calgary.ci ... award/amp/
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1589 posts
982 upvotes
Toronto
Well the only worse airlines are every single US airline. So that narrows down the competition a lot.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
There are a dozen travel related magazines that rate everything form hotels to restaurants to airlines etc.
Air Canada got this one in this magazine but did not rate in some others so,. it is what it is.
As for "on time rate recently, lost luggage and the pilots error i hear about,", well there is not a single airline worldwide that has not had those problems in the past couple years or so.
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
10549 posts
3870 upvotes
Who the heck is “global traveller” all these stupid awards are rigged or made up.

It’s a slow news day at city news that’s what is going on

Air Canada is fine. I’m not sure what you folks expect from an economy fare.

If you fly wide body air Canada domestic the business product is lie flat. United constant equipment swaps you don’t know what you are getting.

Not sure why rfd gets a hard on for knocking air Canada. Far from perfect but usually a step up from usa airlines.

If nothing else, air Canada refund to credit policy is unmatched with usa airlines and probably most global players. The cheapskates here should take a good think about that as it helps out the average person on a standard economy ticket.

Looks like a garbage ad revenue useless magazine

https://www.globaltravelerusa.com/
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
17008 posts
12408 upvotes
Toronto
it's a low bar being NA only
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7777 posts
1808 upvotes
Scarborough
Real airlines and services are at:
———————————————-

Emirates.
Qatar Airways.
Turkish Airlines.
Etihad Airways.

AirCanada cant even provide special meals in economy despite requesting when booking and even after confirming on phone. (This was pre-pandemic).
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
10549 posts
3870 upvotes
apnayloags wrote: Real airlines and services are at:
———————————————-

Emirates.
Qatar Airways.
Turkish Airlines.
Etihad Airways.

AirCanada cant even provide special meals in economy despite requesting when booking and even after confirming on phone. (This was pre-pandemic).
Irrelevant to the discussion of a North Americans airline.

NASA has the best space shuttle service btw

Thanks to fifa we all know qatar is worlds best airline. Such obnoxious advertising.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
Swerny wrote: it's a low bar being NA only
Why?
There are 31 major airlines in North America and more smaller ones.
There are over 5000 airline flights per day in the US alone.
So, it is not such a low bar.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
———————————————-

Emirates.
Qatar Airways.
Turkish Airlines.
Etihad Airways.

Check their prices.
You can fly business Air Can class for less than their economy fare.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5431 posts
1737 upvotes
We're on RFD. Come on...the best airline is the one with the lowest prices. The way I see it, if I'm on an airplane for multiple hours in a small space, none of the features matter. I bring a book, headphones etc and make my time in the air as productive as possible.

Does Air Canada have some good prices? I haven't flown with them for a while. Like most airlines, I think they probably have the leg up on certain routes. Just pick whatever is the cheapest and shortest amount of stop overs.

This distinctive really means little to me because I just look at the numbers. If I can choose to get yelled at by frustrated workers and have my air fare reduced by $50 (and not allowed to post negative reviews for this), I would probably take this deal.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
17008 posts
12408 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote: Why?
There are 31 major airlines in North America and more smaller ones.
There are over 5000 airline flights per day in the US alone.
So, it is not such a low bar.
it's a "low bar" because the NA airlines mostly all suck.

So it's like being the smartest in a class of flunkies.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2009
1958 posts
1535 upvotes
Brampton
If AC is the best imagine worst.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
7612 posts
3390 upvotes
AC service has been pretty decent in my experience. Frankly, no other airline for NA flights stands out as superior in my mind.

But then I don't need much. Smile and say hello and ask if I want a drink at some point. That's about the extent of my needs.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
2328 posts
1690 upvotes
GTA
I like flying Air Canada. It's no Emirates, but it meets my needs and I prefer supporting a Canadian carrier.
Jul 7, 2019
750 posts
963 upvotes
Oilers Country
———————————————-

Emirates.
Qatar Airways.
Turkish Airlines.
Etihad Airways.

There was an interesting discussion on another site, pointing out how most of the international airlines with the best reputations for quality and service (EK, QR, EY, SQ, CX) are carriers that operate no domestic routes. They rely entirely on O&D traffic and international transfer passengers. This forces them to be at the top of their games.

By contrast, AC, UA, AA, DL have protected domestic markets (no cabotage) feeding into their international hubs. AC enjoys a privileged market position in Canada and the US3 have a very large domestic market to support their international routes. Thus zero incentive to improve service, quality or reliability.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
Swerny wrote: it's a "low bar" because the NA airlines mostly all suck.

So it's like being the smartest in a class of flunkies.
Well, I flew an awful lot during my career and still get lots of air time in retirement and I completely disagree with you.
Yes, there are better and fancier and more amenities on the aircraft but, those airlines also charge you a lot more for a seat.
NA airlines have good ones and not so good ones, as do airlines form other countries. It all depends on how much you want to pay.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9966 posts
1900 upvotes
Montreal, QC
The competition isn't fierce in North America and also North America as a whole suffers from the vastness of the continent itself causing airlines to have to service "unprofitable" (or perhaps the better term is less profitable) routes. Combine that with the general lack of financial incentives vs the Middle Eastern or Asian carriers have and yeah...it's a different ballgame.

IMO only Delta and JetBlue are "better" than AC in their product, but their network might not appeal to us in Canada and Aeroplan arguably is a better program than anything the US carriers have so AC has that going for it.

If you think AC is bad...I challenge you to fly on a Latin American airline; they're way more barebones than AC.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7688 posts
6870 upvotes
TravellingChris wrote: There was an interesting discussion on another site, pointing out how most of the international airlines with the best reputations for quality and service (EK, QR, EY, SQ, CX) are carriers that operate no domestic routes. They rely entirely on O&D traffic and international transfer passengers. This forces them to be at the top of their games.

By contrast, AC, UA, AA, DL have protected domestic markets (no cabotage) feeding into their international hubs. AC enjoys a privileged market position in Canada and the US3 have a very large domestic market to support their international routes. Thus zero incentive to improve service, quality or reliability.
CX and SQ from my own experience are vastly inferior to prepandemic, especially CX with their 10abreast 777 now deployed across the fleet

I wouldn't choose CX over AC unless it was cheaper and their FF program has been devalued significantly compared to before. I just flew CX in J and PE last month and I had better experience on AC than with cx
Jul 7, 2019
750 posts
963 upvotes
Oilers Country
StatsGuy wrote: CX and SQ from my own experience are vastly inferior to prepandemic, especially CX with their 10abreast 777 now deployed across the fleet

I wouldn't choose CX over AC unless it was cheaper and their FF program has been devalued significantly compared to before. I just flew CX in J and PE last month and I had better experience on AC than with cx
Good points. We used to use HKIA fairly often as both an arrival point to the Pearl River Delta as well as a connection point to further afield (Vietnam, Thailand, etc.) However, we haven't even considered flying through HK post-pandemic because of the restrictions. We'll wait awhile before doing so again--next year is two trips to Europe, possibly SE Asia in early 2024.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)