• Aug 26th, 2021 3:34 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2140 posts
2215 upvotes
Toronto

Air Canada boarding zone 8?

I just checked in online for my flight and see I have been assigned boarding zone 8. On Air Canada's website it shows that boarding zones go up to Zone 6 for basic economy. I have a standard economy ticket. What is zone 8?
34 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1781 posts
2827 upvotes
Canada, eh?
Zone 8 is part of their modified covid-boarding process....never actually seen one myself so didn't know they were actually implementing it.

Zone 8 is typically the front of the plane, right behind business class.

Knowing AC though, they'd probably make zone 8 permanent. :rolleyes:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2140 posts
2215 upvotes
Toronto
secretalcoholic wrote: Zone 8 is part of their modified covid-boarding process....never actually seen one myself so didn't know they were actually implementing it.

Zone 8 is typically the front of the plane, right behind business class.
That's weird. My seat is actually in the middle economy cabin (777-300ER)
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1781 posts
2827 upvotes
Canada, eh?
yesnomaybe wrote: That's weird. My seat is actually in the middle economy cabin (777-300ER)
This was posted last year on Flyertalk but I can't find it anymore on their website. Looks like they haven't updated it at all.

The only other reference I can find as of right now is this:
Capture.JPG
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2140 posts
2215 upvotes
Toronto
secretalcoholic wrote: This was posted last year on Flyertalk but I can't find it anymore on their website. Looks like they haven't updated it at all.

The only other reference I can find as of right now is this:

Capture.JPG
I'm wondering if I should change my seat now. I just don't want to fight for carry on space...
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18955 posts
6127 upvotes
London
yesnomaybe wrote: That's weird. My seat is actually in the middle economy cabin (777-300ER)
Exit row?
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
17022 posts
12422 upvotes
Toronto
I just had a flight to Van and then Maui, I was zone 7, my wife was zone 3, and our 8 year old was zone 5.

The best part…we were all sitting in the same row

:facepalm:
Last edited by Swerny on Aug 18th, 2021 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
10566 posts
3890 upvotes
yesnomaybe wrote: I'm wondering if I should change my seat now. I just don't want to fight for carry on space...
On a wide body like the 777 should be plenty of bin space.
Autocorrect sucks
Nov 24, 2019
140 posts
92 upvotes
Honestly just went through this same crap. Wife was across the aisle (both aisle seats), I was one of the last people to board, which screwed me over. I was forced to check my bag as there was no more room. Pissed me off so much to see people stuffing their backpacks in the overhead when theyre supposed to go under the seat, while flight attendants did nothing. Had to wait at the carousel for one bag, took over an hour.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2140 posts
2215 upvotes
Toronto
Lotek9119 wrote: Honestly just went through this same crap. Wife was across the aisle (both aisle seats), I was one of the last people to board, which screwed me over. I was forced to check my bag as there was no more room. Pissed me off so much to see people stuffing their backpacks in the overhead when theyre supposed to go under the seat, while flight attendants did nothing. Had to wait at the carousel for one bag, took over an hour.
That sucks...what type of plane were you on?
Nov 24, 2019
140 posts
92 upvotes
Airbus A220. Same configuration as the picture above but the zones differed. I was in seat 25D and was in a later zone. I was 7 or 8. Wife was in 25C and was zone 5
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2006
5053 posts
1781 upvotes
yesnomaybe wrote: I'm wondering if I should change my seat now. I just don't want to fight for carry on space...
Personal experience only... When departing Canada on Air Canada there's usually enough overhead bin space. But when on a returning flight it's a battle for overhead bin space because Canadians are all bringing back their shopping purchases.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1781 posts
2827 upvotes
Canada, eh?
Makes me wonder if people who buy preferred seating get shafted now from the boarding zones. Cause they're supposed to have a lower zone number.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2140 posts
2215 upvotes
Toronto
Well I just boarded and it's a disaster. Lots of people unable to find overhead space. Luckily there was space in my row. I realize this has nothing to do with the boarding zones
Jul 12, 2015
429 posts
556 upvotes
I wonder if AirCanada zones you according to how much you pay for the tickets. According to the map posted above from another poster, I should have been in zone 3 for boarding, but I was assigned zone 7. I guess maybe it's because I used my Aeroplan points to get a basic economy ticket.
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
10566 posts
3890 upvotes
AlexiRos wrote: I wonder if AirCanada zones you according to how much you pay for the tickets. According to the map posted above from another poster, I should have been in zone 3 for boarding, but I was assigned zone 7. I guess maybe it's because I used my Aeroplan points to get a basic economy ticket.
Basic economy always get punished for the zone.

Before I had status I flew some expensive economy tickets (last minute/small airports/ busy business routes.) I would book seats as close to front as possible which at times wasn’t possible and always got zoned higher if sitting towards front and earlier If towards back.

Things could change but let’s just say priority boarding is addictive zone 2
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2009
1729 posts
1042 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
AlexiRos wrote: I wonder if AirCanada zones you according to how much you pay for the tickets. According to the map posted above from another poster, I should have been in zone 3 for boarding, but I was assigned zone 7. I guess maybe it's because I used my Aeroplan points to get a basic economy ticket.
I didn't realize you could redeem AE for basic economy. I thought standard was the lowest.
Nov 24, 2019
140 posts
92 upvotes
Not sure. Like you, my zone didn't line up with the layout posted above, but I also paid what I would think is a high price to go from Toronto to Halifax (~$1500 for 2 people) so I would say price probably doesnt mean anything.
Jul 12, 2015
429 posts
556 upvotes
dr_torch wrote: I didn't realize you could redeem AE for basic economy. I thought standard was the lowest.
You are correct! I checked my ticket, it was standard economy. My bad!