• Feb 19th, 2020 3:45 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2457 posts
2096 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Air Canada cancelled flight between Toronto and HK in March

So , Air Canada just cancelled all flight between Toronto and HK for March. They did this because of demand now get much lower , it is nothing to do with travel ban with China because of virus outbreak.

All passage booked between Toronto and HK will get a connected flight at Vancouver.

I have major issue with this.
My mom is at HK now and she is coming back Mar 1.
Which mean her flight will be cancel and rebook with connected flight via Vancouver.

When I book this round Trip ticket, the main factors is direct flight. She have medical condition that she is not very mobile and connected flight is difficult for her.
Now AC change my direct flight to connected purely base on their profitability (because of low demand, they combine all flight between all Canadian city < > HK via Vancouver as hub).

This is just BS.
If it is regulations requirements, like all people must route via Vancouver for inspection, I can understand and is for public safety. But what they done is change what I purchased already to keep it profitable for themselves.

I try to call them today, put on hold for 4 hrs, the agent told me she look into it, and I got cut off.
Try to call in again only to get greetings they now can't put me on hold.
Last edited by cheapshopper on Feb 12th, 2020 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bright side of RFD: 4 X Koodo $40/8GB plan
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
64 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5446 posts
4736 upvotes
So get a refund and book with another airline?

Not much else you can do if they decide to cancel flights... Can't really blame them either, they are a publicly traded business and have shareholders to report to.

Planes cost a ridiculous amount of money to operate; it would be insane to burn hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of jet fuel alone to fly empty planes across the Atlantic
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2457 posts
2096 upvotes
Richmond Hill
superfresh89 wrote: So get a refund and book with another airline?

Not much else you can do if they decide to cancel flights... Can't really blame them either, they are a publicly traded business and have shareholders to report to.

Planes cost a ridiculous amount of money to operate; it would be insane to burn hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of jet fuel alone to fly empty planes across the Atlantic
I can't even get to their customers service. I been oh hold for 4 hours and got hang up by their customer service.

This is return flight, no idea what they will give me for refund.

Booking one way with CX now will cost me. Approx. $2500

My issue is they decided not to deliver the service I paid for, in the middle of the trip.
Last edited by cheapshopper on Feb 12th, 2020 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
2081 posts
836 upvotes
get over it...shit is happening
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
3464 posts
1436 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Look at getting a long-dated r/t if your mother decides to go there again.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
2250 posts
571 upvotes
Ontario
All flights in that area of the world should be grounded until they figure out this virus.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8372 posts
2337 upvotes
Mississauga
Why is she even flying to Hong Kong knowing there's an outbreak in that part of the world? Air Canada has been stopping flights to China and Hong Kong. Let's hope your mother isn't infected with the virus, let alone bringing it back to Canada.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
3464 posts
1436 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
It's not clearly written but the OP's mother is already in H.K. and due to fly back 1 March.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2457 posts
2096 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Raggie wrote: Why is she even flying to Hong Kong knowing there's an outbreak in that part of the world? Air Canada has been stopping flights to China and Hong Kong. Let's hope your mother isn't infected with the virus, let alone bringing it back to Canada.
To be exact, , my mother-in-law was there since Nov 2019. She do this every year to spend time with her son (my brother in law) and get away from the worse months of the winter.

I just notice I type "my mom" on org post, that's just because I so used to just call her mom. Either-way, is my relative.
Jul 5, 2004
24453 posts
3886 upvotes
What do you hope to accomplish by calling customer service? You think if you complain they'll reinstate the non-stop flight just for you and your mother? There's nothing you can do except get a refund and re-book or take the new flight.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2457 posts
2096 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Shaner wrote: What do you hope to accomplish by calling customer service? You think if you complain they'll reinstate the non-stop flight just for you and your mother? There's nothing you can do except get a refund and re-book or take the new flight.
I try to see if they can move her to Feb 28/29 flight, which is still direct flight. They cancel all "Direct" flight in MARCH. Her booked flight is Mar 1.
Oct 3, 2013
690 posts
739 upvotes
If she's not well & mobility is a challenge, why not just ask for assistance for her? They'll literally wheelchair her from one plane seat to the next & carry her bags for her if she needs it.

Seems like you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. A few hours of a delay is fairly commonplace for a long haul international flight regardless of an extra stop. Go ahead and get it refunded if you want, but don't expect A/C to give you much sympathy for the increased cost of booking with another carrier.
Feb 28, 2006
138 posts
70 upvotes
I sympathize with OP. I mean if anyone of us paid extra for direct flight and got shafted like that, we will feel shitty too. Yes it's due to circumstances out of AC and the OP's control, but why give him a hard time? Calling them to see if there's a better arrangement or compensation is totally reasonable.

Also take note the scale of the cases in HK is not that high, it's not like mainland China.

I got affected by this too, as I have a flight to HK in March, but thankfully I'm not stranded so I could just cancel it. As long as I can get thru the brutal AC phone system.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
32393 posts
3194 upvotes
Winnipeg
Fjr2005 wrote: get over it...shit is happening
I'm more surprised at how late they are acting, should have been done sooner.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
1486 posts
366 upvotes
Mississauga
webshark wrote: All flights in that area of the world should be grounded until they figure out this virus.
I agree 100%, I said this a month ago
"With today's sheep mentality sometimes I feel like going to a wall and just bang my head"