Travel

Air Canada cancelled flight between Toronto and HK in March

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2020 3:45 am
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4262 posts
811 upvotes
cheapshopper wrote: I try to see if they can move her to Feb 28/29 flight, which is still direct flight. They cancel all "Direct" flight in MARCH. Her booked flight is Mar 1.
Just keep calling Air Canada Reservations. It took me 1 hr 45 min to get through. Put your phone on speakerphone, turn up the volume and go do something else while you wait. Don't forget to ask Air Canada to waive their change fee due to the circumstances. I have a flight in April and already made backup plans to travel elsewhere.

So much hostility on RFD.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2003
11062 posts
409 upvotes
Ottawa
A secret for us elites who abandoned AC is to call out-stations. Have her - or you - call the AC office in Hong Kong, or Japan, etc., where you should have a faster pickup time if it's open.
- Absolute
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2517 posts
2146 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Based on comment here , I think most people didn't read the REASON of WHY they cancel the "Direct Flight" and WHY I have issue with this change.

My issue is not because they cancel those flight, the issue is WHY they cancel them.

If the reason is to control the virus, I am 100% in support of this action.

However, it is NOT. AC do this just to protect their profitability.

The only reason they cancel those direct flight is to "Consolidate" all the passengers of flying to Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, etc all into single flight to Vancouver, because the demand is lower now.
This is 100% just for their benefit, NOT an action to benefit public safety.

All I want to get to their customer service is to see if there are seat on flight like Feb 27, 28, 29, etc that we move to it.

I have friend got to CS yesterday, he been told his direct flight on Mar 9 is cancelled, but they Don'T know which flight they will put him on.
It MAY OR MAY NOT be the same day, he will only be notify 72hrs from his new flight that which flight they will put him on. It could be Mar 7, it could be Mar 8, , It could be Mar 11, It could be Mar 14. No one know. Again, he will have 72 hours notice.
So, it mean: I just change your return flight to whatever we have room because I want to protect my profit, I set the date of your travel, take it or leave it.

Now how is this acceptable?
Bright side of RFD: 4 X Koodo $40/8GB plan
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6666 posts
2959 upvotes
webshark wrote: All flights in that area of the world should be grounded until they figure out this virus.
I heard an expert on the radio yesterday saying that if everyone in the affected areas were to quarantine themselves in their homes for 14 days (and strict quarantine meaning NO chance of exposing anyone else to the virus during the period except for the people they live with), then the virus would be finished in 14 days. Now, I also started seeing stuff yesterday saying the incubation might actually be 24 days but I think the same logic applies.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2003
11062 posts
409 upvotes
Ottawa
cheapshopper wrote: Based on comment here , I think most people didn't read the REASON of WHY they cancel the "Direct Flight" and WHY I have issue with this change.

I think most (or some of us) do understand, but don't know what you want to accomplish, beyond venting. Sure, it's done for their profitability - happens all the time with airlines. Out of YOW, UA suddenly cancelled at flights to Chicago for a year for profitability. Now, they're bringing back less Chicago flights in March, and ending all service to Newark. For people who booked flights on those days, it means getting extra transfers, new dates, etc.

How is it publicly acceptable? The airline is accountable to their shareholders, who would raise hell and cause issues if an airline didn't protect it's profit - that would not be acceptable to them, to run profit loss routes. @superfresh89 gave you that answer in the very first reply.

How is this allowed? Because you said they could do this. In your Contract of Carriage / T&C's, you're to be flown from your origin to your destination. Even your dates are _not_ guaranteed. If you want to dive into it, they clearly state they're allowed to make changes to your itinerary, the type of aircraft, timings, etc. Depending on the duration/type of the change, you may be able to make free changes or cancel for a refund. Or, this is where Credit Card / travel insurance is important.

You are NOT guaranteed a direct flight when you buy a ticket - as I mentioned, origin to destination is what is covered.
cheapshopper wrote: All I want to get to their customer service is to see if there are seat on flight like Feb 27, 28, 29, etc that we move to it.
It doesn't seem to be the case - your replies also focus on "how can they do this", not just asking for tips and tricks on how to get through to them.

AC hold times for non-elites have been averaging around 2 hours since they switched their reservation systems back in November. In fact, most people are disconnected after 2.5 hours.

Try Twitter, calling the foreign customer service numbers like I asked, or keep going on hold. Yes, AC has terrible customer service, but it's been that way for months, the new system, weather, virus, etc., have all made it worse, but none of us on here can help you change your trip.

EDIT: At least it's better now, for weeks after they implemented the new reservation system, if people called up with flights a month or two away, they were told that CS was only helping people with travel in the next few days, and to call back later on closer to their flights. Plenty of news articles and public outcry about it, but of course nothing was done.
- Absolute
Feb 28, 2006
158 posts
99 upvotes
Absolute wrote: I think most (or some of us) do understand, but don't know what you want to accomplish, beyond venting. Sure, it's done for their profitability - happens all the time with airlines. Out of YOW, UA suddenly cancelled at flights to Chicago for a year for profitability. Now, they're bringing back less Chicago flights in March, and ending all service to Newark. For people who booked flights on those days, it means getting extra transfers, new dates, etc.

How is it publicly acceptable? The airline is accountable to their shareholders, who would raise hell and cause issues if an airline didn't protect it's profit - that would not be acceptable to them, to run profit loss routes. @superfresh89 gave you that answer in the very first reply.

How is this allowed? Because you said they could do this. In your Contract of Carriage / T&C's, you're to be flown from your origin to your destination. Even your dates are _not_ guaranteed. If you want to dive into it, they clearly state they're allowed to make changes to your itinerary, the type of aircraft, timings, etc. Depending on the duration/type of the change, you may be able to make free changes or cancel for a refund. Or, this is where Credit Card / travel insurance is important.

You are NOT guaranteed a direct flight when you buy a ticket - as I mentioned, origin to destination is what is covered.
Can they do this? Yes. But should we just bend over and take it? Big companies likes to pull this kind of shit all the time, it's not customer friendly. Normally if we buy something, it's a mutual agreement, if one side decides to unilaterally change the conditions of what you buy, that's usually unfair. It's not that consumers like it, it's just that we have no choice.

To be honest, this cancellation was half-assed. If it's to control the virus, well anyone can still get to Toronto via Vancouver and Montreal, so that doesn't do it. If it's profitability, I'm sure that despite lower demand, it's not at zero, they don't have to cancel every single flight in March, they probably lose money cancelling all flights. I think they just don't want to deal with the outrage with why you cancel mine and not theirs if they do partial cancellations.

Yeah none of us can really help OP with his problem. But it's a forum, I think it's nice to share, and there may be someone who's dealing with the same problem.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
4354 posts
1971 upvotes
Calgary
cheapshopper wrote: Based on comment here , I think most people didn't read the REASON of WHY they cancel the "Direct Flight" and WHY I have issue with this change.

My issue is not because they cancel those flight, the issue is WHY they cancel them.

The only reason they cancel those direct flight is to "Consolidate" all the passengers of flying to Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, etc all into single flight to Vancouver, because the demand is lower now.

All I want to get to their customer service is to see if there are seat on flight like Feb 27, 28, 29, etc that we move to it.

I have friend got to CS yesterday, he been told his direct flight on Mar 9 is cancelled, but they Don'T know which flight they will put him on.
It MAY OR MAY NOT be the same day, he will only be notify 72hrs from his new flight that which flight they will put him on. It could be Mar 7, it could be Mar 8, , It could be Mar 11, It could be Mar 14. No one know. Again, he will have 72 hours notice.
So, it mean: I just change your return flight to whatever we have room because I want to protect my profit, I set the date of your travel, take it or leave it.

You are lucky that the flight hasn't been cancelled outright yet. I think it should be. All direct flights to China are already cancelled by Air Canada. It's inevitable that Hong Kong should also be cancelled being effectively a part of China. The US has already banned all flights from China and most American airlines have also cancelled all Hong Kong flights.

The world and ongoing crisis is bigger than your petty complaints inconvenience. I pity the airlines who have to deal with such selfishness and ignorance of world issues.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
4354 posts
1971 upvotes
Calgary
quantized light wrote: Can they do this? Yes. But should we just bend over and take it? Big companies likes to pull this kind of shit all the time, it's not customer friendly. Normally if we buy something, it's a mutual agreement, if one side decides to unilaterally change the conditions of what you buy, that's usually unfair. It's not that consumers like it, it's just that we have no choice.

To be honest, this cancellation was half-assed. If it's to control the virus, well anyone can still get to Toronto via Vancouver and Montreal, so that doesn't do it. If it's profitability, I'm sure that despite lower demand, it's not at zero, they don't have to cancel every single flight in March, they probably lose money cancelling all flights. I think they just don't want to deal with the outrage with why you cancel mine and not theirs if they do partial cancellations.

Yeah none of us can really help OP with his problem. But it's a forum, I think it's nice to share, and there may be someone who's dealing with the same problem.
Air Canada is a private airline with shareholders to protect.

Be thankful we have a clown PM who is thinking more about his image than worrying about protecting Canadians as best as possible. Air Canada is doing what should be a federal government decision, but we have a weak leader.

Antigua and Barbuda (As of Feb. 6)
Foreign passengers and airline crew who’ve been to mainland China in the past 28 days aren’t allowed to enter.

Armenai (As of Feb. 6)
Holders of normal mainland China passports are no longer visa exempt and are required to obtain a visa or an e-visa prior to arrival in Armenia.

Australia (As of Feb. 6)
Passengers who’ve transited through or have been in mainland China on or after Feb. 1 won’t be allowed to transit or enter Australia, though this doesn’t apply to airline crew. Australian nationals and residents who’ve transited through or have been in mainland China on or after Feb. 1 will be required to self-quarantine for 14 days from their arrival into Australia.

Azerbaijan (As of Feb. 6)
Mainland China nationals are not allowed to enter Azerbaijan if they do not have a visa obtained before departure.

Bahamas (As of Feb. 6)
Passengers who have been in mainland China in the past 20 days are not allowed to enter. Residents of the Bahamas who have been in mainland China will be subject to immediate quarantine for a maximum of 14 days.

Bangladesh (As of Feb. 8)
Holders of passports from mainland China, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau can no longer obtain a visa on arrival. They must fill a Health Clearance Form provided by cabin crew.

Belize (As of Feb. 10)
Foreigners and non-residents who have been in mainland China in the past 14 days are not allowed to enter Belize.

Cook Islands (As of Feb. 6)
Passengers who have been in mainland China in the past 14 days are not allowed to enter.

El Salvador (As of Feb. 6)
Holders of normal passports from mainland China arriving from mainland China are not allowed to enter unless they are residents of El Salvador.

Fiji (As of Feb. 7)
Foreign passengers and airline crew who have been in in the past 14 days are not allowed to enter Fiji.

Grenada (As of Feb. 10)
Foreigners and non-residents who have been in mainland China in the past 14 days are not allowed to enter.

Guatemala (As of Feb. 6)
Foreigners who have been in mainland China in the past 15 days are not allowed to enter Guatemala. Guatemalan nationals will be interviewed to comply with clinical evaluation and will be transferred to a Health Service for due isolation and treatment by the Ministry of Public Health, if required.

Hong Kong (As of Feb. 8)
Non-residents who have been in the Hubei Province in the past 14 days are not allowed to enter. Passengers who have been in mainland China in the past 14 days are not allowed to enter if their permitted stay in Hong Kong is less than 14 days. Passengers who have been in mainland China in the past 14 days or arriving from mainland China are subject to compulsory quarantine for 14 days.

India (As of Feb. 9)
Any visa or e-visa issued to mainland China nationals before Feb. 5 are invalidated, excluding passengers with an OCI card or airline crew. Passengers who have been in mainland China on or after Jan. 15 are not allowed to enter, with any visa or e-visa issued before Feb. 5 invalidated -- excluding passengers with an OCI card or airline crew.

Indonesia (As of Feb. 8)
Foreigners or non-residents, including the airline crew, who have been in mainland China the past 14 days are not allowed to enter or transit Indonesia.

Iran (As of Feb. 10)
Passport holders from mainland China, Hong Kong and Macau are no longer visa exempt but they can obtain a visa on arrival. They are required to clear medical checks upon arrival and get a certificate.

Iraq (As of Feb. 11)
Nationals from mainland China or foreigners who have been there in the past 14 days are not allowed to enter. Iraqi nationals or residents who have been in mainland China in the past 14 days will be quarantined for 14 days.

Israel (As of Feb. 6)
Passengers who have been in mainland China in the past 14 days are not allowed to enter. This does not apply to Israelis, their spouses and their children. This also does not apply to residents of Israel.

Jamazica (As of Feb. 6)
Passengers who have been in mainland China will be subject to immediate quarantine for at least 14 days. Those returning from mainland China who have been granted landing privileges and who show any symptom of the novel Coronavirus will be put in immediate isolation.

Japan (As of Feb. 6)
Foreigners who have been in the Hubei Province in the past 14 days are not allowed to enter Japan. Chinese with passports issued in Hubei are not allowed to enter.

Jordan (As of Feb. 6)
Passengers who have been in mainland China in the past 14 days are not allowed to enter Jordan. This does not apply to Jordanians, their spouses and children.

Kazakhstan (As of Feb. 6)
Mainland Chinese nationals with a normal passport arriving at Almaty (ALA), Aktau (SCO), Astana (TSE), Karaganda (KGF), Shymkent (CIT) or Taraz (DMB) are no longer visa exempt.

Kiribati (As of Feb. 6)
Passengers who have been in a country with any confirmed cases of novel Coronavirus (2019-nCov) are not allowed to enter. They must have stayed in a country with no confirmed cases for a period of at least 14 days before entering Kiribati.

South Korea (As of Feb. 7)
Foreigners or non-residents who have been in the Hubei Province in the past 14 days are not allowed to enter. Korean visas issued by the Wuhan Consulate in the Hubei Province are invalidated. Mainland Chinese with a passport issued in Hubei are not allowed to enter. Mainland Chinese nationals are also required to have a visa, even those only transiting through

North Korea (As of Feb. 6)
Tourists are not allowed to enter. Passengers traveling on business or duty must spend 14 days in quarantine upon arrival.

Kosovo (As of Feb. 7)
Mainland Chinese are not allowed to enter unless they travel with a medical certificate proving they are free from the novel coronavirus. Airline crew are exempted.

Kuwait (As of Feb. 6)
Mainland Chinese or Hong Kong passport holders are not allowed to enter. Those with residence permit or visa issued by mainland China who have been in mainland China in the past 2 weeks are not allowed to enter. Passengers with a residence permit or visa issued by Hong Kong who have been in Hong Kong in the past 2 weeks are not allowed to enter.

Macau (As of Feb. 6)
Passengers who reside or have been in the Hubei Province in the past 14 days must present a certificate issued by a legal medical institution proving they are not infected with the novel coronavirus. This doesn’t apply to Macau passport holders or residents.

Malaysia (As of Feb. 10)
Foreigners and non-residents who have been in the Hubei, Zhejiang or Jiangsu Provinces in the past 14 days are not allowed to enter. Non-resident mainland Chinese with a passport issued in Hubei are not allowed to enter.

Maldives (As of Feb. 6)
Foreigners who have been in mainland China in the past 14 days are not allowed to enter.

Marshall Islands (As of Feb. 6)
Passengers arriving from mainland China, Hong Kong or Macau are not allowed to enter.

Mauritius (As of Feb. 6)
Passengers who have been in mainland China, Taiwan, Hong Kong or Macau in the past 14 days are not allowed to enter. Nationals or residents of Mauritius who have been in mainland China in the past 14 days will be placed in quarantine.

Micronesia (As of Feb. 6)
Passengers who have been in mainland China on or after Jan. 6, are not allowed to enter. Only passengers who have been in countries with no confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus for at least 14 days are allowed to enter. This does not apply to airline crew.

Mongolia (As of Feb. 10)
Non-resident passengers who reside or have been in mainland China, Taiwan, Hong Kong or Macau since Jan. 1 are not allowed to transit or enter Mongolia.

Myanmar (As of Feb. 6)
Mainland Chinese nationals or any passengers arriving from mainland China on any Chinese airline can no longer obtain a visa on arrival.

New Zealand (As of Feb. 7)
Passengers who have transited through or have been in mainland China on or after Feb. 2 won’t be allowed to transit or enter New Zealand. New Zealand nationals, residents and their immediate families will be allowed entry but will be required to self-isolate for a period of 14 days from their arrival.

Niue (As of Feb. 7)
Passengers who have been in mainland China in the past 30 days are not allowed to enter. They must have stayed in a country with no confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus for at least 14 days before entering Niue and have an official medical clearance undertaken within 3 days prior to arrival.

Palau (As of Feb. 6)
Passengers who have transited through or have been in mainland China, Hong Kong or Macau in the past 14 days are not allowed to enter.

Paraguay (As of Feb. 6)
Visas issued to nationals of mainland China are invalidated.

Philippines (As of Feb. 11)
Passengers who have been in mainland China, Hong Kong or Macau in the past 14 days are not allowed to enter. Filipinos and residents will be allowed entry but will be required to self-isolate for a period of 14 days from their arrival into the Philippines.

Russia (As of Feb. 6)
Mainland Chinese nationals traveling to Kaliningrad (KGD), St. Petersburg (LED) or Vladivostok (VVO) can no longer obtain an e-visa.

Samoa (As of Feb. 11)
Passengers who have transited through or have been in mainland China, Hong Kong, Japan, Macau, Singapore or Thailand must have spent a period of 14 days in quarantine before arrival. Travelers who have been in or transited through countries with confirmed coronavirus cases must have medical clearance issued 3 days before arrival.

Seychelles (As of Feb. 6)
Non-nationals and non-residents who have been in mainland China, Hong Kong or Macau in the past 14 days are not allowed to transit or enter Seychelles. Residents of mainland China, Hong Kong or Macau are not allowed to transit or enter Seychelles.

Singapore (As of Feb. 8)
Non-Singaporeans or non-residents who have been in mainland China in the last 14 days are not allowed to transit or enter Singapore. Residents who have been in Hubei Province in the last 14 days will be quarantined upon entry in Singapore. Work pass holders with travel history to mainland China in the last 14 days are allowed to enter Singapore subject to prior approval from the Ministry of Manpower, which will need to be shown to airline staff upon check-in and before boarding. Mainland Chinese with passports issued in Hubei are not allowed to transit or enter Singapore, though those holding permanent residency or long-term passes will be quarantined upon entry in Singapore. Passengers with an Approved Letter for Entry from the Singapore Immigration & Checkpoints Authority will not be subject to the above restrictions but will still be subject to health screenings upon arriving at Singapore airport. Short or multiple-term visas issued to mainland Chinese nationals have been suspended and invalidated.

Solomon Islands (As of Feb. 6)
Non-nationals or non-residents who have transited through or have been in mainland China in the past 14 days are not allowed to enter. Non-nationals or non-residents arriving from certain countries who have transited through Fiji, Kiribati, Nauru or Papua New Guinea are not allowed to enter.

Somalia (As of Feb. 10)
Passengers who have been in mainland China in the past 20 days are not allowed to enter. Residents who have been in mainland China are subject to immediate quarantine for a maximum of 14 days.

Sri Lanka (As of Feb. 6)
Mainland Chinese can no longer obtain a visa on arrival.

Taiwan (As of Feb. 7)
Mainland China nationals are not allowed to transit or enter unless their spouse is from Taiwan. Passengers who’ve been in mainland China, Hong Kong or Macau in the past 14 days are not allowed to enter unless they are Taiwan residents or holders of passports from Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau.

Tonga (As of Feb. 7)
Passengers and airline crew arriving from or transiting through mainland China are not allowed to enter. They must have stayed in a country with no confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus for at least 14 days before entering Tonga and have an official medical clearance undertaken within 3 days prior to arrival. This doesn’t apply to Tonga nationals, permanent residents, their immediate families or airline crew on direct flights from mainland China who have been using appropriate personal protective equipment.

Trinidad and Tobago (As of Feb. 7)
Non-nationals, non-residents or crew members who have been in mainland China in the past 14 days are not allowed to enter Trinidad and Tobago. Nationals of Trinidad and Tobago, as well permanent residents who have been in mainland China in the past 14 days will be allowed entry but put in immediate isolation.

USA (As of Feb. 6)
Non-nationals or non-residents who have been in mainland China in the past 14 days are not allowed to enter. For those allowed entry that have been in mainland China in the past 14 days must arrive at one of the following airports: Atlanta (ATL), Chicago (ORD), Dallas, (DFW), Detroit (DTW), Honolulu (HNL), Los Angeles (LAX), New York (JFK or EWR), San Francisco (SFO), Seattle (SEA) and Washington (IAD).

Vanuatu (As of Feb. 10)
Passengers who have been in mainland China, Taiwan, Hong Kong or Macau in the past 14 days are not allowed to enter. Passengers must complete an Incoming Passenger Health Declaration Form before boarding. Passengers who have been in mainland China, Taiwan, Hong Kong or Macau since Dec. 31 but who have spent the previous 14 days outside of mainland China, Taiwan, Hong Kong or Macau must supply a copy of Medical Clearance Form 1, completed by a registered medical practitioner certifying that they are free from any respiratory illness. Passengers showing symptoms of respiratory illness (flu, running nose, fever, headache, chest pain, or difficulty in breathing) must be tested by a registered medical practitioner for the novel coronavirus and supply a copy of Medical Clearance Form 2 completed by a registered medical practitioner certifying that they have been tested for 2019-nCoV at a WHO appointed 2019-nCoV referral laboratory, and that the test returned a negative result for 2019-nCoV.

Vietnam (As of Feb. 6)
Foreigners or non-residents who have been in or transited through mainland China in the past 14 days are not allowed to enter.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2003
11062 posts
409 upvotes
Ottawa
quantized light wrote: Can they do this? Yes. But should we just bend over and take it? Big companies likes to pull this kind of shit all the time, it's not customer friendly. Normally if we buy something, it's a mutual agreement, if one side decides to unilaterally change the conditions of what you buy, that's usually unfair. It's not that consumers like it, it's just that we have no choice.

I don't disagree at all - companies get away with these things because people aren't willing - or in such a large country with few transportation options, able to - boycott them to force change. They're big, one of the only options, and they knew it. It's why those new "Canadian Air Traveler Rights" were written the way they were; the original versions protected PAX, the final versions have the airlines fingerprints all over it. Fairness doesn't matter to AC - look at the CBC articles about those same passenger protection rights, where a husband was given money due to a delay, while they told his very own wife on the same flight that it wasn't eligible for compensation. Kinda a comedy, if it wasn't screwing over customers.

You're right about the publicity and outrage they want to avoid, but regarding the conditions of what the OP bought, as I mentioned, they state in there that the airline can make whatever changes they want, providing they get them from point A to point B. Those conditions aren't fair - they're legal-speak and burried deep, but it wasn't a change of agreed upon conditions.

I'm all for the OP posting, but that's why I wrote only after the OP said "All I want is to get their customer service". If the OP said they also wanted to vent, see if someone else experienced the same thing, wanted to confirm AC can legally do this, or ask for ways to publicize the issue and speak to journalists, etc., then awesome! If the OP did only want that... then our approach of advising them of ways to contact AC, and how they can legally do this (so they don't get AC on the phone, and claim it's illegal, not allowed, etc. which would immediately cause the CSR to hang up or invoke their legal department for protection) has accomplished their goal.

I'm probably more biased, spending more time on planes and dealing with airlines than most people on here, where I've seen how little we can change as individuals, and that the best policy is to talk to the CSR as friends, asking for help, and ensuring you don't talk in anger/frustration or ask them to do something impossible.
- Absolute
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2538 posts
1691 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

I think you underestimate how many logistics come into play when it comes down to cancelling a route. I am not disputing or making excuses for the inconvenience it causes but I don’t think you see the bigger picture.

#1. The Corona Virus is fluid situation and completely unforeseen - NOBODY knows if the situation will improve OR if the worst is yet to come. Will this be next week? 2 weeks from now? Or a month from now? Nobody knows. Hence, at some point a decision needs to be made to include travel dates which unfortunately has affected you.

#2. Regardless of the present situation in Hong Kong keep in mind the flights (including the direct flight in question) is not full of passengers who’s final destination is terminating in Hong Kong. That flight is sold with codeshare agreements and allows passengers to connect onwards in HKG ... that CAN include (but is not limited to) mainland China and/or neighbouring countries.

#3. The demand to travel to Asia is far from its peak right now- heck there’s has even been a decline in demand for areas far removed from Asia (believe it or not as close to home as the US and Caribbean). Will people still travel ...sure. Will others put plans on hold and go elsewhere... naturally.
3b) On the flip side Chinese Tourists (including those in HKG) are in the millions and are also affected given they are being barred from entering a growing list of countries. Your direct flight back to Canada may have had a group of 150 tourists who have now cancelled as well (just an example).

#4. Having said this, to operate a flight on large expensive equipment with a quarter of the capacity is very costly. But also rebooking / refunding passengers $$ adding additional staff to handle the administrative things behind the scene costs money too. And yes, it comes down to money but that can be said in pretty much any business practice out there regardless if it’s a service or a product (product doesn’t sell? End production).

#5 I have quite a few family and friends who are crew members (both captains- first officers and cabin crew). It’s becoming increasingly difficult to find staff to work these flights as going back to my first point - nobody knows the situation tomorrow or next week. You can argue that this job always had it’s risks- but there are people who can’t taken risk or are not willing to.

In regards to your friend not being given an actual departure day. Keep in mind in these situations there are dedicated staff who are handed lists of thousands of passengers affected by the affected flights. Priority is always given to passengers travelling within the next 7 days. I would advise your friend to wait closer to the departure day as his affected travel date is still 3 weeks way. Does it suck? Sure. But again with a situation like this things can change drastically day to day.

I would suggest adding “wheelchair assistance” and “meet + assist” to your mother in law’s booking. It’s pretty seamless as she will be escorted off the aircraft and Fast tracked through immigration and taken directly to the gate for her return flight. In the event of any delays - cancellations she will also be assisted.

Edit*** not defending AC as everything I’ve mentioned above applies to ALL airlines (and I believe there’s several) who have cancelled / reduced their schedules serving main land China & Hong Kong.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2517 posts
2146 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Update: I finally got the CSR on the phone. It was on hold from 9am this morning tIll 2:40pm.
I am more lucky than my friend. The CS told me yes the Mar 1 flight is cancelled and they are trying to rebook me to the flight either Mar 1 or Mar 2 connect via Vancouver.
I ask them: Could you please check is there any open seat on Feb 28/29 flight direct to Toronto, which is BEFORE the Mar 1 effective date. He did, found me a seat and rebooked me on Feb 28. So problem solved.

I know a lot of people here mix up cancel direct flight vs ban people travel from China / HK. As I mention before, i have no issue if they ban the traffic from HK or enforce she need to be inspect/ monitor for 14 days.
My issue was they change the route at their will just to protect their profit. Yes, under T&C they CAN do this, but doesn't mean is right thing to do. Plus HOW DIFFICULT TO GET TO THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE.
4 hrs yesterday, just to get hang up when connected with CS.
5 hrs 40min today.

Lucky i work from home and I just continue my work / conference call when I was on hold.

Now problem is solved.
Last edited by cheapshopper on Feb 13th, 2020 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
3075 posts
999 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
cheapshopper wrote:

Yes there are seats on those dates. I just checked on-line so no need to hassle CSRs.

A return trip coming back Feb 27, 28, 28 is about $1,542. Could you book that and forget the first leg? Or could you book a HKG > YYZ > HKG and abandon the return leg.

But, what were the terms of your Mom's ticket. Was it the cheapest with no cancellation or change options without a fee? Just change it on-line and pay up and don't try to tell AC how to run their airline.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2517 posts
2146 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Marzipan wrote: Yes there are seats on those dates. I just checked on-line so no need to hassle CSRs.

A return trip coming back Feb 27, 28, 28 is about $1,542. Could you book that and forget the first leg? Or could you book a HKG > YYZ > HKG and abandon the return leg.

But, what were the terms of your Mom's ticket. Was it the cheapest with no cancellation or change options without a fee? Just change it on-line and pay up and don't try to tell AC how to run their airline.

She is already at HK since Nov 2019, this is her return flight. I didn't hassle the CSR, I know it will be more useful if I ask nicely for their help, which they did.
See my last update. I finally got to CSR today after 5 hrs + on hold and change the return flight to Feb 28, and they willing to waive the change fee.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
3075 posts
999 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
cheapshopper wrote: She is already at HK since Nov 2019, this is her return flight. I didn't hassle the CSR, I know it will be more useful if I ask nicely for their help, which they did.
See my last update. I finally got to CSR today after 5 hrs + on hold and change the return flight to Feb 28, and they willing to waive the change fee.
Looks like you bought a cheap ticket and got around the terms of the ticket. Now, hope not, but what if Mom has to go into quarantine for 24 days? Do we have to make an exception?