Credit Cards

Air Canada charged a completely different/random card?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2021 11:24 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 15, 2009
226 posts
46 upvotes

Air Canada charged a completely different/random card?

Hi RFD,

I bought tickets via Air Canada and I bought them using the "saved" credit card on my Aeroplan profile (i.e. my Aeroplan card). I noticed at the time that there was a pre-authorized charge on my credit card and thought nothing of it.

Fast forward 2 weeks later, I notice that the pre-authorized charge disappeared and AC did not charge any of my credit cards. I take a closer look at my ticket reservation and I don't recognize the last 4 digits of the credit card used to pay for my flights at all..

Anybody have suggestions on steps forward? I'm going to call Air Canada support but I have no idea how helpful they will be.. The worst case would be if my tickets somehow get cancelled because the person who actually got charged disputed the charges.
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
7708 posts
9694 upvotes
ah_b wrote: Hi RFD,

I bought tickets via Air Canada and I bought them using the "saved" credit card on my Aeroplan profile (i.e. my Aeroplan card). I noticed at the time that there was a pre-authorized charge on my credit card and thought nothing of it.

Fast forward 2 weeks later, I notice that the pre-authorized charge disappeared and AC did not charge any of my credit cards. I take a closer look at my ticket reservation and I don't recognize the last 4 digits of the credit card used to pay for my flights at all..

Anybody have suggestions on steps forward? I'm going to call Air Canada support but I have no idea how helpful they will be.. The worst case would be if my tickets somehow get cancelled because the person who actually got charged disputed the charges.
Firstly your best bet is to call AC.

Secondly the difference in numbers could be because they used an alternative digital card number to help protect your privacy similar to when paying with mobile wallet, but I haven't heard of anything like that for payments not done through mobile wallet so I'm not entirely sure.
[OP]
Aug 15, 2009
226 posts
46 upvotes
I called them and they ended up just refunding the old tickets (which matched my billing address and everything) and then re-purchasing it on a card I had in front me.

Super weird experience here..
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2016
1477 posts
1139 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
I wonder if the PNR and the segments were actually ticketed or just in a reservation …