None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2687 upvotes
Vancouver

Air Canada clamping down on carry-on bags at Toronto Pearson airport

AC will be posting staff at the security checkpoint to stop people bringing carry-on bags that are too large to the gate. Bags that pass their inspection will be tagged. If people have a bag that doesn't pass inspection, they will have to go back to the counter and check it, with standard fees applying (i.e., $25 for first checked bag). They will supposedly receive a pass to rejoin the head of the security line.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nat ... e24539428/

While I do think it's time they enforced the rules about carry-on baggage, I can't help but feel that this is part of an ongoing cash grab on baggage fees that's going to piss off a lot of people.
76 replies
Banned
Nov 1, 2014
4317 posts
559 upvotes
Toronto, ON
good..

wish they would've done it sooner
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1484 upvotes
Pickering
They were doing this last year and it was on the news...
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
740 upvotes
AudiDude wrote: They were doing this last year and it was on the news...
Not really and not to this extent.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1484 upvotes
Pickering
nalababe wrote: Not really and not to this extent.
Yes really, and to this extent. Pete Coach posted his approval then as well and there were news clips of people getting rejected. I got Rouged one year ago this month and saw the metal guide by the jetway and the staff walking the line pulling people out.

Although they didn't do this last October, they did do this when I flew out of YYZ this past Sunday.

I'm beginning to think it is an annual thing for the beginning of the summer to warn people, not to bother with huge ass luggage.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
740 upvotes
AudiDude wrote: Yes really, and to this extent. Pete Coach posted his approval then as well and there were news clips of people getting rejected. I got Rouged one year ago this month and saw the metal guide by the jetway and the staff walking the line pulling people out.

Although they didn't do this last October, they did do this when I flew out of YYZ this past Sunday.

I'm beginning to think it is an annual thing for the beginning of the summer to warn people, not to bother with huge ass luggage.
AudiDude wrote: Got my timeline messed up, but here it is:

http://globalnews.ca/news/1591393/air-c ... n-baggage/
They started looking at it then...but it was, like they had done previously, in small waves and only on occasional flights. I flew some 30 times last year to various Canadian, US and Intl flights...not once was my bag checked...nor were any other passengers...many who clearly had bags too large. There were times that a comment was made, but was not enforced as they are now implementing.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1560 posts
379 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
nalababe wrote: No...they should have nothing larger than a laptop bag and nothing bigger.
Sorry, but that won't do it for me on a 26 hour flight or so.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
740 upvotes
knuks101 wrote: Sorry, but that won't do it for me on a 26 hour flight or so.
That's more than enough for a flight...for your 26 hour flight you are making at least one stop so you can refresh...

A computer, iPad, Chargers, headphones...maybe a few books...

You all have enough room for emergency medication or other necessities.

We normally do a backpack (so we would go a bit smaller), diaper bag, laptop bag and camera bag for five of us traveling on long flights...we have everything we need.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2004
4254 posts
1412 upvotes
Vancouver
nalababe wrote: No...they should have nothing larger than a laptop bag and nothing bigger.
Why? Carry-on luggage is (mostly) safe and efficient, and the way to go for short trips. If that's what I'm trying to accomplish and can follow the rules, why should I be punished and forced to a) wait to check in my bag, b) have the airline possibly lose my bag, c) deal with potential theft of items, d) deal with damaged luggage and e) wait to pick up my bag?

Obviously it's not a problem on a family vacation where even if something goes wrong, life goes on and I'll probably get reimbursed by either the airline and/or insurance but if I'm on a two-day business trip, I don't have time to deal with that sort of crap nor do I have time to wait an hour to pick up my bag when I can literally be out of the airport in less than 10 minutes with Nexus and expedited customs clearance. On vacations, it's still a smart idea to carry on a small pack with your trip's essentials and maybe underwear, etc. and your most valuable items. I'm assuming this is what you mean- just know this doesn't always apply to all trips when I could get away with packing a few days worth of everything in regulation-size carry-on luggage.
Removed external link in signature.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1560 posts
379 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
My carry on is usually a backpack, I don't think the laptop bag will be enough for me .
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
599 upvotes
Toronto
Airlines keep squeezing and squeezing, it's rather pathetic IMO. Nothing to cheer about here.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
740 upvotes
lhsonic wrote: Why? Carry-on luggage is (mostly) safe and efficient, and the way to go for short trips. If that's what I'm trying to accomplish and can follow the rules, why should I be punished and forced to a) wait to check in my bag, b) have the airline possibly lose my bag, c) deal with potential theft of items, d) deal with damaged luggage and e) wait to pick up my bag?

Obviously it's not a problem on a family vacation where even if something goes wrong, life goes on and I'll probably get reimbursed by either the airline and/or insurance but if I'm on a two-day business trip, I don't have time to deal with that sort of crap nor do I have time to wait an hour to pick up my bag when I can literally be out of the airport in less than 10 minutes with Nexus and expedited customs clearance. On vacations, it's still a smart idea to carry on a small pack with your trip's essentials and maybe underwear, etc. and your most valuable items. I'm assuming this is what you mean- just know this doesn't always apply to all trips when I could get away with packing a few days worth of everything in regulation-size carry-on luggage.

I have been on countless flights where everyone has 1) a carry-on and 2) their purse or laptop bag...the overhead storage is filled by the time 2/3 or less of the plane is boarded. I'd rather just have the people with minimal baggage on and then quickly exit....which is not happening when everyone has two items (and many oversized). I have no issue, if people have regulation carryon....but they don't...that is the problem.

This ridiculous waste of time is what is being eliminated. If you travel a lot, you are already familiar with skycheck....planes empty in a quicky and efficiently, why? Not waiting for people to get their massive bags down and slowly bump through the aisles.

Yes, YYZ baggage claim is horrific, but elsewhere it isn't as bad. Laguardia, OHare, Logan, Orlando...my bags are routinely waiting for me when I arrive at the carousel...

...I don't see theft and damaged luggage as really being an issue. After 500 or 600 flights, I have never had anything stolen...my bags get damaged...but that is to be expected with their usage.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1560 posts
379 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
Nalababe, you're allowed to have a carry on bag plus a purse or something like that, hence the two items.

Last month I went to ON for 5 days and chose to have only carry one. The smallest suitcase of my luggage set fit the dimensions as set by the airline (WJ in this case), and I was able to put it in the overhead bin, but I also kept my purse with my wallet, ID, Ipad with me, to put under the seat in front of me. I noticed that no one had any carry on bigger than what was allowed, i.e. the same size as mine. And yes, I admit that I chose to bring only carry on, because I didn't want to pay $50 for checked luggage (return) for only a few days. Whenever I go on vacation, I check in my luggage, but for a short trip where I don't bring as much, I don't think I should have to.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4974 upvotes
Here 'n There
Thank God. I am sick and tired of people bringing oversized and bags way over the weight limit on planes that they can barely lift into the overhead and cannot fit in. I was just on a flight from Florida and this guy in front of me in line when we boarded spent 5 min trying to get an obviously too long bag into the overhead. I kept telling him it won't fit but he wouldn't listen. People started laughing at this clown trying to defy logic and the plane was backed up in the aisle waiting for him to finally realize that. I kept raising my voice more and more telling him it will not fit no matter how much he wants to try but he kept trying. Finally the flight attendant came and took the bag to check it in in the cargo hold.

The plane was 15 min late than our already late departure because of this clown. The fact is if airlines don't enforce policies then people just abuse them to everyone's detriment.