Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Air Canada

convert Air Canada buddy pass to 30000 AP points

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 1st, 2022 3:03 am
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2009
3637 posts
1646 upvotes
Koezer wrote: I applied for the TD card in August and BP showed up yesterday. Called today and they will convert it to points.
Lucky you! I received my buddy pass TODAY after 5-month of opening my CIBC cc account (Jul 26). Called as well and the agent told me she had to email another department to check if they can still convert my buddy pass to points, and it will take about 3 weeks.

So at this moment I'm not sure if they will approve it or not. SHE did mention the only condition to convert is the card needed to be opened in July.
Aug 9, 2009
150 posts
479 upvotes
Just to add a data point. My wife applied in late August for the TD Aeroplan Visa, received her buddy pass on Dec 19th. Called in today and waited on hold for an hour. Agent had no problem doing the conversion. Said points will post in about 8 weeks.
Aug 7, 2010
86 posts
53 upvotes
Edmonton
I have a DP here, applied for CIBC AI on Aug 31, got the BP on Dec 21. Called aeroplan today and after an hour wait, they made an exception on the points conversion. Will get the 30k points in January.
Oct 5, 2017
515 posts
176 upvotes
no name wrote: I have a DP here, applied for CIBC AI on Aug 31, got the BP on Dec 21. Called aeroplan today and after an hour wait, they made an exception on the points conversion. Will get the 30k points in January.
So who I should call? Aeroplan or cibc? Buddy pass is appearing on my aeroplan now
Jan 5, 2020
22 posts
5 upvotes
Just got my buddy pass yesterday (applied for TD card and linked AP number on Aug 28). Desperately trying to call AP but an automated message keeps telling me there's a high number of calls.. doesn't even let me wait for an agent. Anyone else experience this? What time should I be calling at, because I've been trying since late last night and early this morning...
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2017
1686 posts
2109 upvotes
Vancouver
Chandlerparsons wrote: So who I should call? Aeroplan or cibc? Buddy pass is appearing on my aeroplan now
Assuming you applied for the card in July/August.. you would call Aeroplan. They are the ones who convert it for you.
Dec 20, 2013
131 posts
67 upvotes
Vancouver
Just got off the phone. Spent about 50 minutes on hold before getting through. First the rep said the conversion offer had expired but offered to double check. She came back and said there is an exemption if your BP was issued after Nov 15 and then processed it for me.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2009
3637 posts
1646 upvotes
Time Line:
Jul 23 - Applied for the CIBC cc and got approved.
Aug 23 - Spent $1000+ before first statement.
Dec 23 - Buddy pass issued after calling CIBC multiple times.
Dec 23 - Called Aeroplan to convert the buddy pass to points.
Jan 5 - 30k points showed up in my Aeroplan account.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
2724 posts
2297 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
Phoned Amex to address an issue on my father’s account and while on hold pulled up their website and decided to switch my Gold card to the Aeroplan Reserve card which I didn’t realize was a standalone product. A few minutes of listening to the T&C and my application for the Aeroplan Reserve was approved. Looks as though I will earn the AC buddy pass in 3-4 months time after activation and will report back once I request the conversion. As I recall the experience last year was straightforward converting the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege buddy pass so don’t anticipate anything different this year.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2009
2691 posts
2708 upvotes
Ottawa
100Pacer wrote: Phoned Amex to address an issue on my father’s account and while on hold pulled up their website and decided to switch my Gold card to the Aeroplan Reserve card which I didn’t realize was a standalone product. A few minutes of listening to the T&C and my application for the Aeroplan Reserve was approved. Looks as though I will earn the AC buddy pass in 3-4 months time after activation and will report back once I request the conversion. As I recall the experience last year was straightforward converting the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege buddy pass so don’t anticipate anything different this year.

You know the date to convert to aeroplan points has long since passed? You can’t convert anymore to the 30k points unless you meet very specific criteria of people who had the buddy pass delayed from their credit card company.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
2724 posts
2297 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
chriscabob wrote: You know the date to convert to aeroplan points has long since passed? You can’t convert anymore to the 30k points unless you meet very specific criteria of people who had the buddy pass delayed from their credit card company.
I should have elaborated: it made sense to move to the Aeroplan Reserve rather than the Platinum despite the buddy pass conversion expiry. Having said that I should be able to have the buddy pass converted. That’s why I was going to report back.
May 22, 2015
498 posts
366 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Man waited painful 40+ mins only to hear the agent tell me that you must have opened the account before Aug 31 as part of exceptions.

Don't think I've read this requirement before?

I'll try again. It's so hard to be even placed on queue now.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2017
1686 posts
2109 upvotes
Vancouver
goodhours wrote: Man waited painful 40+ mins only to hear the agent tell me that you must have opened the account before Aug 31 as part of exceptions.

Don't think I've read this requirement before?

I'll try again. It's so hard to be even placed on queue now.
Ah. When did you open the acct?

So the conversion deadline was “internally” Nov 30.

However for people who applied in July/Aug they’re allowing a limited conversion period

They use the Aeroplan “link day” with CC as the source so if it shows your card was linked after Aug 31 then it won’t work.

https://princeoftravel.com/blog/aeropla ... an-points/

For a limited time, some cardholders will be granted an exception to convert their Buddy Pass beyond November 30:

You must have opened the card in July or August 2021
You must have your Buddy Pass deposited into your Aeroplan account after November 15, 2021
Nov 5, 2009
66 posts
51 upvotes
Edmonton
I had initially applied in early August but due to a system error and processing delays on TD's end, my account was not approved/opened until September 2nd. I finally received my buddy pass sometime over the weekend.

I called Aeroplan this evening and after holding for 1 hour 20 minutes, they said I was ineligible because my account was not open in August. I asked about escalation and after a brief hold, they told me to contact TD Visa because there was nothing Aeroplan could do. I insisted on speaking with a supervisor and after another brief hold, the same rep came back and said they received "updated instructions" this morning and would submit my conversion request but that it would take 3-4 weeks.

Including hold times, the call took 1 hour and 50 minutes.

if anyone else is trying to do this, just be polite and patient and say thank you often. They're just doing their jobs and I can only imagine how entitled and pissed off other customers calling in are.
Nov 4, 2017
19 posts
15 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
How are you guys getting through? Every time I try calling the Aeroplan phone number (1-800-361-5373) and input all the details of my account, I just get a automated message that says: "Due to exceptionally high volume, we are unable to place your call on hold at this time..."
I've been calling them on 3 separate occasions throughout the last few weeks... any help would be appreciated.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19893 posts
4112 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
squirtle2 wrote: How are you guys getting through? Every time I try calling the Aeroplan phone number (1-800-361-5373) and input all the details of my account, I just get a automated message that says: "Due to exceptionally high volume, we are unable to place your call on hold at this time..."
I've been calling them on 3 separate occasions throughout the last few weeks... any help would be appreciated.
Call the minute they open.
May 8, 2021
58 posts
82 upvotes
Even though this has already expired, for those who will come across this in the next few months after still not receiving their buddy pass;
Contacted CIBC/Aeroplan multiple times, got jerked around and finally after 4 months they've said they (CIBC) cannot provide the buddy pass and will instead add 30k points to the Aeroplan account.

edit: clarified who is responsible for providing points/pass
May 9, 2016
42 posts
7 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Late to the party as I recently got my buddy pass. I called the Aeroplan number at 1-800-361-5373 and I advised them I wanted to transfer over my buddy pass to points. I let them know that the buddy pass came late after numerous correspondence with TD.

The agent told me I met the criteria of having my account activated before September (mine was August in this case) and having my buddy pass deposited after November 15, 2021 for the exception to be granted.

As someone stated prior, be polite and patient as I was on hold with the agent for at least 15 minutes for this to be done. All-in-all roughly 35 minutes spent and pretty painless!
Aug 9, 2009
150 posts
479 upvotes
Has anyone who converted their buddy pass in late December/early Jan had the points deposited yet? I am still waiting but I notice one person had theirs deposited a week after asking for the conversion.