Travel

Air Canada eCoupons...have you got yours?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 10th, 2020 11:52 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1593 posts
671 upvotes

Air Canada eCoupons...have you got yours?

AC canceled my flight a few months back. Original option was for some limited future credit, and then migrated to the unlimited ecoupon option. I waited until that option became available and went for it. That was on June 3rd...fast forward almost 2 months and still waiting for my eCoupon. Originally it said 2-4 weeks, but now it says 6-8 weeks...I'm pretty much at 8 weeks now and still no eCoupon. Just curious if anyone is waiting or theirs as well still. I called like 2-3 weeks ago and was told to wait another week....been 2 or 3 weeks since.
13 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13024 posts
7958 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Keep calling!
eblend wrote: AC canceled my flight a few months back. Original option was for some limited future credit, and then migrated to the unlimited ecoupon option. I waited until that option became available and went for it. That was on June 3rd...fast forward almost 2 months and still waiting for my eCoupon. Originally it said 2-4 weeks, but now it says 6-8 weeks...I'm pretty much at 8 weeks now and still no eCoupon. Just curious if anyone is waiting or theirs as well still. I called like 2-3 weeks ago and was told to wait another week....been 2 or 3 weeks since.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Mar 3, 2009
796 posts
280 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Same boat here. Calling will not help as you can only speak to reservations. You can reply to that email that you got - but that has not gotten me anywhere either.

It's kind of ridiculous. How hard is it to issue a gift card these days.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4316 posts
854 upvotes
No e-coupon/gift card here yet either. I imagine that Air Canada must have literally one person manually processing these refunds considering how long they take.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1593 posts
671 upvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Keep calling!
Don' got anywhere to go for now so not in a rush to get it, but still, you would think they want people travelling as soon as possible, even if the flight is free, people still pay for other fees, lounges etc.
Mar 3, 2009
796 posts
280 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
What I find irritating is that I would book travel with them for December right now as the prices are good. If this COVID-19 drags out then I will be in the same boat anyway and will need to cancel.

But I cannot book anything until the give me the darn gift card. I cannot use one of the cancelled flights I have since I will lose the residual value of it. I send an email and told them this and they cannot even be bothered to reply to my email.

I understand times are difficult for Air Canada but should there not be some kind of customer service. It's just a joke.
Feb 18, 2019
7 posts
2 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
eblend wrote: AC canceled my flight a few months back. Original option was for some limited future credit, and then migrated to the unlimited ecoupon option. I waited until that option became available and went for it. That was on June 3rd...fast forward almost 2 months and still waiting for my eCoupon. Originally it said 2-4 weeks, but now it says 6-8 weeks...I'm pretty much at 8 weeks now and still no eCoupon. Just curious if anyone is waiting or theirs as well still. I called like 2-3 weeks ago and was told to wait another week....been 2 or 3 weeks since.
Still waiting too. I’m on week six and not holding my breath. In fact, I’ve pretty much mentally written that money off…

For comparison, I had a BA flight scheduled for late April that got cancelled. Had my voucher within a week. Just saying AC, just saying.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1593 posts
671 upvotes
ThatNorthVanGuy wrote: Still waiting too. I’m on week six and not holding my breath. In fact, I’ve pretty much mentally written that money off…

For comparison, I had a BA flight scheduled for late April that got cancelled. Had my voucher within a week. Just saying AC, just saying.
My original canceled flight was for October so I should be able to file credit card charge back still if I don't get my coupon. Yah it's pretty stupid, should be an automated process. Will wait another few weeks and then start calling, luckly they have a callback system so don't have to wait on the call forever, just wait and hour or two for a callback.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1593 posts
671 upvotes
Called AirCanada yesterday asking why I still haven't gotten anything in the last 8 weeks, and the lady on the phone said she will email the department responsible and check. She said that the credit still shows up for the reservation, so the money is still there, just needs to be converted to eCoupon and should have been done by now. Hope that doesn't take 8 weeks..
Sep 26, 2008
727 posts
168 upvotes
Ottawa
What's the difference between a voucher and an eCoupon? Air Canada cancelled my May flights and all I have is an email informing me of a travel credit.
Mar 3, 2009
796 posts
280 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Jenny1975 wrote: What's the difference between a voucher and an eCoupon? Air Canada cancelled my May flights and all I have is an email informing me of a travel credit.
When Air Canada initially cancelled flights you were entitled to use the value of that flight for a future booking. However, the new booking had to be the same price or more otherwise you lost the remaining value. You also had to rebook within 24 months.

An eCoupon (or gift card) can be used multiple times, for different people, and never expires. However, nobody seems to have gotten one yet. Cancelled flights can be converted to gift cards.
Sep 26, 2008
727 posts
168 upvotes
Ottawa
Seems pretty clear to me that all these challenges with accessing our credits are intended to minimize the number and value of redemptions. Really makes me quite angry.Angry Face
Deal Guru
Jul 17, 2008
10838 posts
3587 upvotes
Anyone who books Air Canada, Air Canada is the pimp and you are the bitches. Got to wait your turn in line to be defrauded of your money and beg for even a giftcard for something they cancelled.

Air Canada, possibly the worst airline company in the world, and the canadian govt is in bed with them. The american govt will help you more if you have problems with them, which is pathetic.
Mar 3, 2009
796 posts
280 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Messerschmitt wrote: Anyone who books Air Canada, Air Canada is the pimp and you are the bitches. Got to wait your turn in line to be defrauded of your money and beg for even a giftcard for something they cancelled.

Air Canada, possibly the worst airline company in the world, and the canadian govt is in bed with them. The american govt will help you more if you have problems with them, which is pathetic.
I am certainly not defending Air Canada - but I think this is a touch harsh, at least in my situation. Air Canada did not cancel my flight. I cancelled it because of the current situation. The fare was refundable with a $200 penalty and I chose to take a gift card instead to get the full value.

I do think that AC are dragging their feet and the level of customer service has dropped to an all time low but in my case I cannot say that they cancelled my flight.