Expired Hot Deals

Air Canada Flight Pass - Price Error ($901 for 10 Western Flights)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2019 1:25 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2009
1293 posts
87 upvotes
taurus25 wrote:
Aug 28th, 2015 1:41 pm
We're in touch with you regarding the Western USA Plus Pass that you recently purchased from Air Canada that was, unfortunately, incorrectly priced and is now corrected. Let me first say that we’re sorry for the inconvenience and misperception this error caused and outlined below are details of what happened and the steps we're taking to correct this error and a gesture of thank you for your understanding.

On the evening of August 25th, a computer loading error resulted in a temporary mispricing of our Western USA Plus Pass product for Business Class travel. This product, good for 10 one-way flights, was mistakenly displayed at $800 instead of the correct price of $8,000. When we became aware of this error 24 hours later, the passes were withdrawn from sale and the booking of flights was inhibited.

We understand your disappointment and trust you understand we cannot honour the Flight Passes mistakenly sold at 10% of their value. Therefore, any Flight Passes purchased at the incorrect $800 price will be cancelled and refunded. If you have already made any credit bookings with your incorrectly-priced Flight Pass, however, these flights WILL be honoured and the remaining credits cancelled and refunded on a prorated basis. We appreciate your understanding and to express our thanks, if you choose to re-purchase this Flight Pass at the correct price, we will add an 11th flight credit to the package for free. (Once you complete your purchase, simply eMail us at crflightpass@aircanada.ca with your Flight Pass number and we will process the extra credit.)

Thank you for your support for Air Canada and, as always, we look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Sincerely,

Don't you have to wait 24 hours before you can make your first booking with the flight pass? If I am not mistaken, AC remove their flight pass before the 24 hours hold period was up.

I seriously don't think it was a computer glitch. I think they did it on purpose to get people to sign up (create accounts with AC).. next thing you know, they are going to send out emails about "promos" with AC. I am sure they got thousands of new customers.
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18483 posts
1734 upvotes
Fjiwa78 wrote:
Aug 28th, 2015 3:57 am
I bought one of these and I am a lawyer in Vancouver. I will be pursuing this further by likely filing a small claims action. I am however looking into the idea of simply turning this into a class action lawsuit.

It is amazing that there is absolutely no correspondence to any of us from air canada about the issue as well.
We're you the one featured on Global News this morning?
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Sep 27, 2010
551 posts
347 upvotes
Vancouver
super26 wrote:
Aug 28th, 2015 1:56 pm
Don't you have to wait 24 hours before you can make your first booking with the flight pass? If I am not mistaken, AC remove their flight pass before the 24 hours hold period was up.

I seriously don't think it was a computer glitch. I think they did it on purpose to get people to sign up (create accounts with AC).. next thing you know, they are going to send out emails about "promos" with AC. I am sure they got thousands of new customers.
what a great marketing strategy
Mar 20, 2013
552 posts
470 upvotes
Winnipeg
Haz wrote:
Same one with the Craigs List ad?
Dec 19, 2011
6 posts
1 upvote
Haz wrote:
That was me. We are planning the next steps and will be in touch soon.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2002
2226 posts
447 upvotes
Those of you angry about AC not honoring this price mistake certainly have the right to your own opinions here, but the way I see it is that some web programmer at AC made an error with the pricing. A bunch of people jumped on this too good to be true deal, and sure enough it fell through. Now everyone is butt hurt that they aren't getting their ten $109 flights all over western Canada and the US and are considering legal action. Come on let's be real. Mistakes are going to happen with online sales. The business doesn't have to honor them. Are you expecting them to take a $8000 loss times X number of people just because their web guy posted the wrong price? I've seen car dealerships advertise cars with an obvious price error either because the newspaper printer / editor or the web guy made an error. Would you expect the business to sell you a brand new car for $2000 when it actually should have been $20,000? Maybe my self-entitlement gene is repressed or has regressed or just never flourished, and my fairness gene is just more dominant as I just don't see the big deal here. Just put the shoe on the other foot and imagine this is your business and your mistake. If you honestly feel you would have honored the price mistake then then pursue it all you want. Cry foul on the top of buildings! Protest with placards in front of the AC check-in counter!

Just because it is a large corporation it doesn't mean that they don't have expenses and budgets to meet. If say 1000 people bought the flight passes, that would be a $8 million dollar loss. I guess they could absorb that cost and then just increase everyone's future flight costs to make up for it in X number of years, but is that what you really want? Sure you can sue them, do the class action whatever suit, and that extra ligitation cost for AC to defend it will be distributed to guess what? Everyone's future flight costs. Angry? Sure, boycott AC and fly Wesjet exclusively to hurt AC's bottom line. Make them go under, and we'll have one Canadian airline choice. That's great right? A monopoly is always a good thing for competition and pricing. All the people working at AC can easily find work elsewhere. They are automatically an evil company anyways since they won't honor this huge price mistake on their website. Bad AC! Bad!

I don't know. I guess I just see things on a larger scale and consider the ripple effects. There must be some fine print saying that they have the right to not honor pricing mistakes somewhere. If I benefit from a mistake a business made I consider myself fortunate, but I also think about their loss. If they decide to honor the price mistake that's great, but if they don't I'm not crying foul about it. I've got some killer deals on RFD, and some were pricing errors. If the business okays the sale I'm okay with it and very thankful, but if they don't I'm not calling their customer service to ream them out about it. That's just embarrassing I think. Honestly, what happened to people's sense of fair play?

EDIT: I once went to the post office to buy 1000 stamps. The postal worker accidentally gave me 10,000 stamps for the price of 1000. Did I go back to return the stamps? You bet I did. The lady was in tears to see me and so relieved. I didn't think twice about it as I would never have kept the stamps as it was clearly a mistake. I wonder how many of you would have done the same thing? The girl probably would have lost her job if I hadn't. Maybe it was just the way I was raised, but there is a right and wrong in these situations.
My avatar is Shandi Finnessey
Play Hay Day!
Oct 4, 2013
191 posts
41 upvotes
HunkaHunkaBurningLove wrote:
Aug 28th, 2015 2:05 pm
I benefit from a mistake a business made I consider myself fortunate, but I also think about their loss. If they decide to honor the price mistake that's great, but if they don't I'm not crying foul about it. I've got some killer deals on RFD, and some were pricing errors. If the business okays the sale I'm okay with it and very thankful, but if they don't I'm not calling their customer service to ream them out about it. That's just embarrassing I think. Honestly, what happened to people's sense of fair play?
Completely agree... if I'm lucky enough they honour it, great.
Legal action on a blatant mistake... intense!
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
49801 posts
14910 upvotes
Those of you angry about AC not honoring this price mistake certainly have the right to your own opinions here, but the way I see it is that some web programmer at AC made an error with the pricing. A bunch of people jumped on this too good to be true deal, and sure enough it fell through. Now everyone is butt hurt that they aren't getting their ten $109 flights all over western Canada and the US and are considering legal action. Come on let's be real. Mistakes are going to happen with online sales. The business doesn't have to honor them. Are you expecting them to take a $8000 loss times X number of people just because their web guy posted the wrong price? I've seen car dealerships advertise cars with an obvious price error either because the newspaper printer / editor or the web guy made an error. Would you expect the business to sell you a brand new car for $2000 when it actually should have been $20,000? Maybe my self-entitlement gene is repressed or has regressed or just never flourished, and my fairness gene is just more dominant as I just don't see the big deal here. Just put the shoe on the other foot and imagine this is your business and your mistake. If you honestly feel you would have honored the price mistake then then pursue it all you want. Cry foul on the top of buildings! Protest with placards in front of the AC check-in counter!

Just because it is a large corporation it doesn't mean that they don't have expenses and budgets to meet. If say 1000 people bought the flight passes, that would be a $8 million dollar loss. I guess they could absorb that cost and then just increase everyone's future flight costs to make up for it in X number of years, but is that what you really want? Sure you can sue them, do the class action whatever suit, and that extra ligitation cost for AC to defend it will be distributed to guess what? Everyone's future flight costs. Angry? Sure, boycott AC and fly Wesjet exclusively to hurt AC's bottom line. Make them go under, and we'll have one Canadian airline choice. That's great right? A monopoly is always a good thing for competition and pricing. All the people working at AC can easily find work elsewhere. They are automatically an evil company anyways since they won't honor this huge price mistake on their website. Bad AC! Bad!

I don't know. I guess I just see things on a larger scale and consider the ripple effects. There must be some fine print saying that they have the right to not honor pricing mistakes somewhere. If I benefit from a mistake a business made I consider myself fortunate, but I also think about their loss. If they decide to honor the price mistake that's great, but if they don't I'm not crying foul about it. I've got some killer deals on RFD, and some were pricing errors. If the business okays the sale I'm okay with it and very thankful, but if they don't I'm not calling their customer service to ream them out about it. That's just embarrassing I think. Honestly, what happened to people's sense of fair play?
Maybe because the terms and conditions are contractually binding and Air Canada adjusted it as it saw fit?

I agree with most of your points but is there wiggle around terms and conditions indicated on the website or purchase agreement? Maybe they should include the clause: "we reserve the right to cancel any airfare purchase for whatever reason and make changes to terms and conditions post-purchase" and then many here will not be complaining. :)

About the lawsuit, I was kidding as I live in the GTA and did not bother to tie up my credit cards authorization limit.
Dec 19, 2011
6 posts
1 upvote

I'll just say this for now. We customers are ALWAYS forced to abide by Air Canada's stringent terms and conditions. How many times have you had to pay one of the countless fees after you make a reservation because of something in the terms and conditions? Here we are, for once, there's a clause in the terms and conditions that favors the consumers (guaranteed and "locked-in" price). Now Air Canada is trying to get around their very own terms and conditions. It is a double-standard. The terms and conditions are not a one-way street. They should have to abide by the terms and conditions just like how they force their customers to on a daily basis. They have handled this beyond unprofessionally, and whether you are directly affected by this or not, it's the principle that matters. They force their customers to abide by the terms and conditions, well they should too. The fact they altered their FAQ to remove the guaranteed-price language this morning only adds to their shady business practices here.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
1881 posts
1051 upvotes
Calgary

You keep talking about being "real" and being "fair" and what it would be like it if we "put the shoe on the other foot" -- well lots of us have been there, and when we make a mistake with a booking like:

1. typo in the name
2. reversed departure arrival airport
3. mixed up the flight dates
4. have a work/family emergency and need to cancel or change our plans in any way

Air canada always slaps us with either a massive penalty or a strict "no refunds"
Sep 27, 2010
551 posts
347 upvotes
Vancouver

The questions we should be asking are

How can a consumer differentiate between a price error, clearance pricing and promotional pricing? An iPhone 4 was worth $500 but can be purchased for $100 now (80% off). If Best Buy had a line out the door, can they come in and say it's a price error and up the price - and tell you that you should've known it was a price error because the discount is > 50%.

If a federally-regulated business puts out a mistake price, are they able to get away with no penalties? It is up to the carrier to ensure that everything they put out on their website is factual. CBC/CTV need to ensure that everything on their website is correct. If they don't, they will get sued. Best Buy needs to ensure that all pricing on their website is correct. If they don't, Consumer Protection Agency steps in and stands up for the customer.

If a mistake price does happen and a customer had its goods, services, or contract cancelled, what remedy does the customer have? The carrier cannot just cancel it without the permission of the customer. I cannot cancel my fare without the permission of the carrier - and that permission is given through the contract that states you can cancel your ticket within 24 hours or you can get a full refund if you buy latitude or executive flex.
Aug 21, 2011
106 posts
19 upvotes
NEW WESTMINSTER
Just received this email from Air Canada: This is the first communication I have received from them about this issue:

We're in touch with you regarding the Western USA Plus Pass that you recently purchased from Air Canada that was, unfortunately, incorrectly priced and is now corrected. Let me first say that we’re sorry for the inconvenience and misperception this error caused and outlined below are details of what happened and the steps we're taking to correct this error and a gesture of thank you for your understanding.
On the evening of August 25th, a computer loading error resulted in a temporary mispricing of our Western USA Plus Pass product for Business Class travel. This product, good for 10 one-way flights, was mistakenly displayed at $800 instead of the correct price of $8,000. When we became aware of this error 24 hours later, the passes were withdrawn from sale and the booking of flights was inhibited.
We understand your disappointment and trust you understand we cannot honour the Flight Passes mistakenly sold at 10% of their value. Therefore, any Flight Passes purchased at the incorrect $800 price will be cancelled and refunded. If you have already made any credit bookings with your incorrectly-priced Flight Pass, however, these flights WILL be honoured and the remaining credits cancelled and refunded on a prorated basis. We appreciate your understanding and to express our thanks, if you choose to re-purchase this Flight Pass at the correct price, we will add an 11th flight credit to the package for free. (Once you complete your purchase, simply eMail us at crflightpass@aircanada.ca with your Flight Pass number and we will process the extra credit.)
Thank you for your support for Air Canada and, as always, we look forward to welcoming you onboard.
Sincerely,

Renee Smith-Valade
Vice President, Customer Experience
Sep 27, 2010
551 posts
347 upvotes
Vancouver
thepress83 wrote:
Aug 28th, 2015 2:19 pm
Just received this email from Air Canada: This is the first communication I have received from them about this issue:

Sincerely,

Renee Smith-Valade
Vice President, Customer Experience
that's the same as what I posted this morning