Expired Hot Deals

Air Canada Flight Pass - Price Error ($901 for 10 Western Flights)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2020 11:27 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2002
2259 posts
483 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: Maybe because the terms and conditions are contractually binding and Air Canada adjusted it as it saw fit?

I agree with most of your points but is there wiggle around terms and conditions indicated on the website or purchase agreement? Maybe they should include the clause: "we reserve the right to cancel any airfare purchase for whatever reason and make changes to terms and conditions post-purchase" and then many here will not be complaining. :)

About the lawsuit, I was kidding as I live in the GTA and did not bother to tie up my credit cards authorization limit.
There is no clause at Canada Post saying that if the postal worker gives you 10000 stamps accidentally instead of 1000 that it makes it right to keep the extra. Even if there was, does it make it right to keep them? I don't like the extra baggage fees that AC charges nor the cutbacks nor strict terms that AC has implemented, but I think the "guarantee" of a locked-in price is that if flight prices increase, you can still use the flight pass without incurring extra charges? I haven't read the details, but I bet that's what it refers to. If their own terms do say that they must honor whatever price the flight passes are sold at regardless of an online error then sure everyone has a right to hold them to that. I sort of doubt that clause is present though.
My avatar is Shandi Finnessey
Play Hay Day!
Jan 2, 2006
26 posts
9 upvotes
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: You keep talking about being "real" and being "fair" and what it would be like it if we "put the shoe on the other foot" -- well lots of us have been there, and when we make a mistake with a booking like:

1. typo in the name
2. reversed departure arrival airport
3. mixed up the flight dates
4. have a work/family emergency and need to cancel or change our plans in any way

Air canada always slaps us with either a massive penalty or a strict "no refunds"

Exactly. I don't feel objectively entitled to keep a mistake fare. BUT in the past year, due to both my own error and due to emergency circumstances, I've paid over $1000 to Air Canada in change fees for multiple tickets, on top of thousands of dollars in fares. I've never complained to Air Canada or felt entitled to them waiving their fees - in fact, I never even called them to ask them to waive the fees, I just paid them because that's what I agreed to do in the T&Cs. Why should Air Canada be able to renege on their deal due to error without any sort of compensation?
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2008
1222 posts
568 upvotes
Vancouver
This is a pretty good example of where a price error involving big $ is not going to honoured. OP should have kept it to themselves to be honest.

Use your common sense. This isn't even a good/service you are buying but a voucher for a good/service. It's so easy to cancel.

AC allows you to cancel or make any changes on flight bookings within 24 hours (in case of any errors).
Within 24 hours of the OP, I was already reading reports that they were not going to honour the transaction.
Looks like you can't make a morality/fair treatment argument here to me.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2002
2259 posts
483 upvotes
So I guess if the company has caused you some problems in the past does that make it okay to try to stick it back to them? I remember I was late getting to a flight from Toronto due to traffic and a slow shuttle from the rental depot to the terminal. The WestJet check-in guy wouldn't let us check-in for the flight as there was like 50 minutes before departure. They charged me $200 to get onto the next flight. This was my unfortunate mistake, and I had to pay the penalty. I don't hold it against WestJet as maybe my lateness would have delayed the flight since the baggage takes time to go through security and get loaded up on the plane. Stuff like this happens. But if WestJet in the future has some price error for $1 on a flight that costs $1000, and they don't honor it I'm not going to my lawyer or cry foul over it. That's just me though so you do whatever you think is right in your situation of course. We each have to live with our own good conscience.
My avatar is Shandi Finnessey
Play Hay Day!
Penalty Box
Apr 21, 2004
51693 posts
16205 upvotes
HunkaHunkaBurningLove wrote: There is no clause at Canada Post saying that if the postal worker gives you 10000 stamps accidentally instead of 1000 that it makes it right to keep the extra. Even if there was, does it make it right to keep them? I don't like the extra baggage fees that AC charges nor the cutbacks nor strict terms that AC has implemented, but I think the "guarantee" of a locked-in price is that if flight prices increase, you can still use the flight pass without incurring extra charges? I haven't read the details, but I bet that's what it refers to. If their own terms do say that they must honor whatever price the flight passes are sold at regardless of an online error then sure everyone has a right to hold them to that. I sort of doubt that clause is present though.
The receipt shows a purchase of 1,000 stamps and not 10,000. The buyer has no right in keeping the other 9,000 as the contract consummated was for 1,000 stamps.

That guarantee of a lock in price you describe doesn't make sense. An airfare purchased at a set price cannot be adjusted upward as it was consummated at the price; also a flight pass is the ceiling price for the air fare.

Like you, I didn't read the terms and conditions but just went by what other members were saying.

It's not like Air Canada hasn't declared bankruptcy several times over, at least go under with some good will. :)

=====

I don't feel the sense of entitlement and I can understand the other side to the transaction. So for people pissed off that Air Canada reneged on this price error. Vote with your wallet and boycott Air Canada.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2006
2107 posts
419 upvotes
I got the same message.

Te argument that I have is they put something out there- I bought it and have a confirmation number the transaction is complete- just like a contract how can they change their minds now
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2008
1222 posts
568 upvotes
Vancouver
HunkaHunkaBurningLove wrote: So I guess if the company has caused you some problems in the past does that make it okay to try to stick it back to them? I remember I was late getting to a flight from Toronto due to traffic and a slow shuttle from the rental depot to the terminal. The WestJet check-in guy wouldn't let us check-in for the flight as there was like 50 minutes before departure. They charged me $200 to get onto the next flight. This was my unfortunate mistake, and I had to pay the penalty. I don't hold it against WestJet as maybe my lateness would have delayed the flight since the baggage takes time to go through security and get loaded up on the plane. Stuff like this happens. But if WestJet in the future has some price error for $1 on a flight that costs $1000, and they don't honor it I'm not going to my lawyer or cry foul over it. That's just me though so you do whatever you think is right in your situation of course. We each have to live with our own good conscience.
I was actually in a situation similar to you. I checked in about 45 minutes prior to boarding on a domestic flight. It took so long to go through security and the gate was one of the farthest there was at the airport. I was denied boarding at the gate instead (because they closed boarding by then). They then had to take out my baggage out of the flight and put it on the next one. It took them longer to do this than if I just boarded. No extra charges for anything though.

I even know someone who was denied boarding at the gate because they didn't show up during the boarding time listed on their ticket. This time might be like 35 minutes before flight departure and if you show up 30 minutes before instead, they can apparently deny boarding...
Aug 26, 2015
17 posts
1 upvote
Madden, AB
@retrothing,

So you think small claims court is the way to go? I know about how the small claims legal process works. Can you please keep us in the loop on the steps to follow if you decide to pursue this?
Aug 26, 2015
17 posts
1 upvote
Madden, AB
Correction:

@retrothing,

So you think small claims court is the way to go? I know nothing about how the small claims legal process works. Can you please keep us in the loop on the steps to follow if you decide to pursue this?
Mar 22, 2006
181 posts
9 upvotes
andysh wrote: She planned Air Canada Rouge as the VP Customer Experience
https://www.aircanada.com/en/about/medi ... alade.html
So she's the genius that decided to make AC Rouge:
> change business class seats from two wide seats into a row of three seats with an intentional empty in the middle.
> removed the entertainment systems from the seats, charging $9 to use an iPad OR make you download the app that obviously freezes/glitchy mid flight
> no electrical outlets
Jul 31, 2003
153 posts
2 upvotes
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: You keep talking about being "real" and being "fair" and what it would be like it if we "put the shoe on the other foot" -- well lots of us have been there, and when we make a mistake with a booking like:

1. typo in the name
2. reversed departure arrival airport
3. mixed up the flight dates
4. have a work/family emergency and need to cancel or change our plans in any way

Air Canada always slaps us with either a massive penalty or a strict "no refunds"
I agree. The concerns of double standards are the every day 'mistake' fees and stringent T&C policies that AC has benefited from its customers.

In other news, from two weeks ago, "Air Canada's second quarter profit came in at $296 million, up 33 per cent from last year's level, the Montreal-based airline revealed Wednesday":
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air-can ... -1.3188085

Albeit, the article suggests that most of it comes from the impact of the weak Canadian dollar, but it would be interesting to know how much of the $296 million in profit (quarterly in this case) comes from the stringent and contractually binding "extra mistake" fees that AC imposes on its customers.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2005
2343 posts
1534 upvotes
andysh wrote: Renee Smith-Valade worked for BC Hydro as a Senior VP of Communications. That could explain why she does not care about customer experience even though that's her title.
http://bobmackin.ca/?cat=618

She planned Air Canada Rouge as the VP Customer Experience
https://www.aircanada.com/en/about/medi ... alade.html

She dated John Furlong, CEO of VANOC when she worked for VANOC under John Furlong
http://www.straight.com/news/478376/joh ... tion-trial

This is her LinkedIn Profile:
https://ca.linkedin.com/pub/renee-smith ... 4b/b55/980

Notable Quotes:
“She builds a case of evidence against you and then gives you little or no time to defend yourself before she publishes,” Renee Smith-Valade
http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/the- ... pic-war-2/
:lol:
Oct 2, 2008
3 posts
Vancouver
Did anyone here manage to book a flight with the flight pass before they were cancelled?

If so, please contact Adarsh Pillian at adarsh@trippeo.com. He is looking into making a formal claim. Here is his perspective.

"I look at it this way - I got into a contract with air canada when I purchased the flight pass and air canada is honouring the contract of those passengers who bought the ticket with the flight pass, yet is not honouring those who didn't get a chance to buy the tickets. A contract is a contract and they cannot have double standards on who they get to honour."
Dec 19, 2011
6 posts
1 upvote
cooperplus wrote: Did anyone here manage to book a flight with the flight pass before they were cancelled?

If so, please contact Adarsh Pillian at adarsh@trippeo.com. He is looking into making a formal claim. Here is his perspective.

"I look at it this way - I got into a contract with air canada when I purchased the flight pass and air canada is honouring the contract of those passengers who bought the ticket with the flight pass, yet is not honouring those who didn't get a chance to buy the tickets. A contract is a contract and they cannot have double standards on who they get to honour."
I know of some people who were able to book with their credits by calling Air Canada after purchasing the Flight Pass. I agree it's a double standard. This actually helps strengthen our argument that these were valid contracts.