Expired Hot Deals

Air Canada Flight Pass - Price Error ($901 for 10 Western Flights)

• Last Updated:
  • May 22nd, 2020 11:16 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 20, 2010
156 posts
16 upvotes
To CheapWinnipeger,

What do you do for a living? Do you work for Air Canada? You sure spent a lot of time online bashing others on this thread. Too bad there's no Ignore Button on RFD.

We're here to help others get bargain on RFD and your posts are getting annoyed.
Mar 20, 2013
604 posts
566 upvotes
Winnipeg
disneyguru wrote: What do you do for a living?
How is that relevant to anything?
disneyguru wrote: Do you work for Air Canada?
No. Does your job entail inhaling noxious fumes?
disneyguru wrote: You sure spent a lot of time online bashing others on this thread.
Who have I bashed?
disneyguru wrote: We're here to help others get bargain on RFD
Really? Here to help are you? Can you point to single recent comment of yours where you help anyone get a bargain? Just one single recent helpful comment. (I'm not saying that you're a leech, I just don't think that 'helpful' is really the right word for you)

I've posted a couple of official US and Canadian government documents that would seem to suggest that both have current policies of not forcing airlines to honour prices that are clearly pricing errors.

Is that what caused your bunching? Would it have been better if I said "woo hoo, you go girls, I just know that you'll be able to force Air Canada to give you $8000 worth of flight passes for $800!"

Don't get me wrong, I think that it would be awesome if they did succeed. I also think that it's delusional to think that there's a good chance that they will succeed. You’re not delusional are you?
Jan 2, 2006
26 posts
9 upvotes
CheapWinnipeger wrote: How is that relevant to anything?

No. Does your job entail inhaling noxious fumes?

Who have I bashed?

Really? Here to help are you? Can you point to single recent comment of yours where you help anyone get a bargain? Just one single recent helpful comment. (I'm not saying that you're a leech, I just don't think that 'helpful' is really the right word for you)

I've posted a couple of official US and Canadian government documents that would seem to suggest that both have current policies of not forcing airlines to honour prices that are clearly pricing errors.

Is that what caused your bunching? Would it have been better if I said "woo hoo, you go girls, I just know that you'll be able to force Air Canada to give you $8000 worth of flight passes for $800!"

Don't get me wrong, I think that it would be awesome if they did succeed. I also think that it's delusional to think that there's a good chance that they will succeed. You’re not delusional are you?
Weren't you on this thread earlier, telling people to make sure they had individual Aeroplan memberships for each traveler, etc., trying to help people successfully buy the passes? I don't think you came off like someone on Air Canada's side. :)
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3027 posts
2005 upvotes
Canadia
TheBSharps wrote: @retrothing,

Any additional comments after reading this article?
This is a markedly different case, for several reasons:

1. In the Swiss case, the central issue was whether a valid contract of carriage was entered into when tickets were purchased through a third party. In Air Canada, the product sold was a Flight Pass that entitled customers to purchase a ticket or reservation on a variety of routes that varied in length and destination. The product was sold directly by Air Canada, on their website. Air Canada's terms of carriage apply only to tickets/reservations.

2. To wit, "Swiss claims that at no time was it made aware of the availability of the mistaken fares, nor was it made available on its Web site."

3. Further, Swiss asserts that the complainants had no interest in using their tickets in the way they were intended, "Swiss maintains that the complainants had no interest in travelling the entire ticketed routes or to travel at all, but sought to take advantage of mistaken fares to travel parts of their chosen route."

Of primary concern is whether customers purchasing the $799.95 flight pass could reasonably have assumed that it was a legitimate fare. Several actions taken by Air Canada suggest that the airline sought to hide the original nature of the flight passes. Three immediate thoughts:

A. In a media report, Air Canada representative Peter Fitzpatrick stated that "The product, good for 10 flight legs, was displayed at CAD$800 instead of the correct price of CAD$8,000." The insinuation was that a simple keying error had occurred, a missing zero in the published price. In actuality, the sale price was a very deliberate $799.95 and the subsequently published price is $8379.

B. Most of us are unfamiliar with Air Canada's Flight Pass product. However, a quick review of the Air Canada site indicates that full price flight passes can be purchased starting at $646 (NY Commuter, 4 flight credits) or $976 (Eastern Commuter Student Flight Pass, 6 flight credits). Consequently, a $799.95 fare cannot automatically be dismissed as a "simple pricing error."

I travel by air only a handful of times per year, and I always take the same approach: I visit the Air Canada and WestJet sites and carefully choose from the offered fares, because they can vary considerably depending on the day of the week and time of day - as an example of the extremes, a full price fare from Calgary to Los Angeles in On Monday, October 5th ranges from $204 to $1159.

C. Air Canada removed the Flight Pass FAQ page from their website sometime within the 24 hour period after the majority of customers appear to have purchased their flight passes. The FAQ specifically explained that there will be no price increases to purchased flight passes.
Mar 31, 2013
184 posts
877 upvotes
Courtenay, BC
some people assume we should have known it was a mistake........there are a lot of viral marketing campaigns out there, sell a huge deal to create buzz and get others talking about the company........that was my take, and jumped on it right away, I didn't think that AC was that bad with their computers.......so my question is, if AC can't trust their computers and stand by them, why should any of us trust them to have the correct price on any of their offerings? Even a 1 % "mistake" adds up over millions of transactions ..........well AC, you created a big buzz all right!!!!!.......lol
Aug 7, 2011
361 posts
268 upvotes
Edmonton
So, I just noticed my credit card charge has actually gone through... Not sure if that changes anything but in my case, money has theoretically changed hands.
Sep 26, 2012
327 posts
116 upvotes
North York
My card got charged as well. Ironically it was posted yesterday, after receiving the e-mail from AC.
Aug 7, 2011
361 posts
268 upvotes
Edmonton
monarchwest wrote: My card got charged as well. Ironically it was posted yesterday, after receiving the e-mail from AC.
Funnily enough, I haven't got the email for both. So... Who knows.
Mar 20, 2010
156 posts
16 upvotes
$1,675.80 charged to my CC (Me and My Wife) Tomorrow is Aug 31 and is the cutoff for my CC.

$7,200 CC bills for the month of August.
Aug 26, 2015
4 posts
7 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Well...sitting here in LA, flight down on pass went smooth, let's hope I can get back. They will refund 8/10 x the price paid for the ticket since I had booked it. I tried to change the flight home and it was all blocked out. They said no changes, no refunds when I called. Should have booked a bunch of trips!!
Mar 20, 2013
604 posts
566 upvotes
Winnipeg
Round trip business class to LA for $168. That's pretty sweet.

Did you take advantage of the free booze and access to the lounge?
Jan 2, 2006
26 posts
9 upvotes
coleo83 wrote: Well...sitting here in LA, flight down on pass went smooth, let's hope I can get back. They will refund 8/10 x the price paid for the ticket since I had booked it. I tried to change the flight home and it was all blocked out. They said no changes, no refunds when I called. Should have booked a bunch of trips!!
Congrats on getting down there! Did you buy your pass and book the tickets the day before everyone got wind of it? (I guess that would have been August 25 when it was posted, and August 26 was when it blew up and was taken down.) I'm just curious at what point they put the 24 hour hold on and how many people actually were able to make bookings!
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2005
2398 posts
1642 upvotes
Type_A_Tiff wrote: Congrats on getting down there! Did you buy your pass and book the tickets the day before everyone got wind of it? (I guess that would have been August 25 when it was posted, and August 26 was when it blew up and was taken down.) I'm just curious at what point they put the 24 hour hold on and how many people actually were able to make bookings!
Some people call in to book the trip, it will bypass the 24 hours hold.
Aug 26, 2015
4 posts
7 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I booked the trip within probably 30-60 mins of buying the pass. There was no hold on my ability to see the credits in my account or use them, though I have purchased and used many flight passes on AC in the past so perhaps that is why.