Expired Hot Deals

Air Canada Flight Pass - Price Error ($901 for 10 Western Flights)

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2020 3:15 pm
Tags:
None
Member
Mar 31, 2013
203 posts
896 upvotes
Courtenay, BC
so, just to be sure, by joining this mailing list it will not stop me from filing a small claims court action?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 19, 2005
3040 posts
2055 upvotes
Canadia
I had a good conversation with several lawyers from Munroe & Company last Friday, and initially agreed to act as one of the representative plaintiffs in the BC action. My partner subsequently asked me not to take on a representative plaintiff role for personal reasons, but I hope one or both of the cases proceeds to certification.

Whether or not the case proceeds, Air Canada handled this situation in a terrible manner and there are some significant irregularities regarding the actions they took in the hours and days following the flight pass sale.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 19, 2005
3040 posts
2055 upvotes
Canadia
phantomfj wrote: so, just to be sure, by joining this mailing list it will not stop me from filing a small claims court action?
Correct. It's just a mailing list so the law firm can contact you. You're still free to take legal action yourself.
Newbie
Aug 26, 2015
17 posts
1 upvote
Madden, AB
@retrothing,

Will either of these class actions help people residing in Alberta? I see it was only filed in Quebec and BC.
Newbie
Aug 2, 2007
29 posts
7 upvotes
Did anyone notice the change in price for the flight pass now it is 8379 I swear it was not that number before. They are manipulating the site to pretend its a mistake. if anyone as a screenshot of the prices before please post it!
Newbie
Aug 26, 2015
17 posts
1 upvote
Madden, AB
retrothing wrote: Correct. It's just a mailing list so the law firm can contact you. You're still free to take legal action yourself.
I'm signed up. Very curious to see how the courts respond to the Munroe & Company request. Good job following through @retrothing. I agree, there is some very irregular about the way AC has acted.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 19, 2005
3040 posts
2055 upvotes
Canadia
TheBSharps wrote: @retrothing,

Will either of these class actions help people residing in Alberta? I see it was only filed in Quebec and BC.
Yes, I am in Alberta. If there is eventually a settlement or judgement, any eligible class member can submit a claim.
Newbie
Aug 31, 2015
1 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Long time reader of RFD, but first time poster. I also bought the flight pass. Just to clarify, Munroe is just the first law firm to file. They jumped on this from the media attention as it's a great opportunity for their two junior lawyers. If you look at their 2 lawyers, they are both recent law school graduates (1 year of experience each) - look at Law Society of BC "Lawyer Lookup". That's a huge issue. It's not a race to file in the courts. I'm sure more experienced legal counsel are carefully drafting the pleadings, and not racing like Munroe. No need to sign up on their website yet, just stand by. This is just getting started.
Newbie
Oct 31, 2013
84 posts
14 upvotes
Vancouver
RaptorsFan123 wrote: Long time reader of RFD, but first time poster. I also bought the flight pass. Just to clarify, Munroe is just the first law firm to file. They jumped on this from the media attention as it's a great opportunity for their two junior lawyers. If you look at their 2 lawyers, they are both recent law school graduates (1 year of experience each) - look at Law Society of BC "Lawyer Lookup". That's a huge issue. It's not a race to file in the courts. I'm sure more experienced legal counsel are carefully drafting the pleadings, and not racing like Munroe. No need to sign up on their website yet, just stand by. This is just getting started.
Thanks for the tip. Meanwhile I still haven't gotten my refund..
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2006
2471 posts
602 upvotes
No refund for me yet either
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 22, 2007
26803 posts
6032 upvotes
Hamilton
Well. That was fast
$35/10GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
5310 posts
1940 upvotes
Winnipeg
They could of avoided the class action lawsuits if they did the right thing and honoured it...or at least like Home Depot does is send out a gift card or something in apology.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 29, 2003
18784 posts
2057 upvotes
airmail wrote: They could of avoided the class action lawsuits if they did the right thing and honoured it...or at least like Home Depot does is send out a gift card or something in apology.
Exactly. A refund, an apology and a couple of hundred bucks of coupons (however limited they may be) could have calmed the talks of class action lawsuits pretty well and they would take less of a PR hit on a "mistake".
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Newbie
Aug 2, 2007
29 posts
7 upvotes
Totally agree...... what excuse will they come up with now. The dog ate the computer?

Top