Expired Hot Deals

Air Canada Flight Pass - Price Error ($901 for 10 Western Flights)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 4th, 2019 10:01 pm
Tags:
None
May 30, 2011
78 posts
25 upvotes
Calgary
Dear XXXXX,

We write to provide you a brief update in regards to this case.

The trial for this case concluded on February 26, 2019 in Montreal, Quebec. The trial decision was under reserve (to be released at a later date). In the interim, there were some settlement discussions with Air Canada and we have reached an agreement-in-principle. As such, the Court will not be rendering a decision on the merits at this time.

At the moment, we are finalizing the terms of the settlement agreement for purposes of seeking Court approval. In a class action, any settlement must be approved by the Court. We anticipate the Court approval hearing will happen before end of June.

Once the proposed terms are finalized we will seek the Court's permission to issue an official notice to each class member and the details of the proposed settlement will be made available at that time for your review, prior to the Court approval hearing.

Please stay tuned and thank you for your patience.
Kind Regards,
Aug 18, 2010
941 posts
246 upvotes
Edmonton
I'll guess $500 in travel credit- or just below the price of 1 round trip to vegas from edmonton, so they still likely make money when we use the creditFace With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2008
1209 posts
230 upvotes
Coquitlam, BC
KristjanP63065 wrote:
May 4th, 2019 12:28 am
Any guesses?

My best guess - some kind of travel credit on Air Canada.
This is what they were originally seeking...
This class action is seeking to recover compensation from Air Canada for not honouring their advertised price. The compensatory damages we are claiming include the price difference between the advertised price (approximately $790) and the alleged regular price (approximately $8000) of the Flight Passes. In addition, this class action is seeking to recover interest and punitive damages. The amount of punitive damages will be decided by the Court at trial.
So, call it $7200, plus interest (not much) and punitive damages, say $8-9k each. If each person ends up with anything over $1k I'll be surprised (and hopefully not in AC credits).
Mar 31, 2013
120 posts
34 upvotes
Sherwood Park
Punitive damages are usually either non existent or very meager Canada. I am expecting to get a free movie rental voucher valid at blockbuster out of this. Hoping to get a flight pass.
Mar 21, 2019
4 posts
I think the request was $7200 in cash, plus $500 in cash for punitive damages, so a cash settlement of $7700 to each class member.

Maybe this is optimistic thinking but... If you're going to settle it would have to be some reasonable compromise, or else you'd just take your chances with the trial verdict. My guess - $1000 - $2000 in Air Canada travel credits (around 10-20% of what was asked for).
Feb 20, 2007
37 posts
6 upvotes
There were likely many settlement offers and counter offers right from the beginning but both sides probably felt they had this case won right up to the end, otherwise why would they continue and not settle earlier? The fact that AC finally settled at the end was because that was the least expensive option, this removed the risk of being found in violation of the Consumer Protection act and also setting a precedent for later cases.

It should be a reasonable settlement for the whole of the class, not just the lawyers or the class representative, this has to be considered and approved by the court. I would expect there to be an option of a higher amount of travel credits (travel credits cost AC less) and a lesser cash amount (for those who do not want to travel). There might also may be an option for Aeroplan points instead of cash.

Not sure how much this was worth to them but my guess (or should I say 'hope') is around $1,500 CASH per member.
Apr 21, 2019
1 posts
Any further word? Evolink said they were hoping for court approval by end of June...
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2008
1209 posts
230 upvotes
Coquitlam, BC
BrettB26983 wrote:
Jul 4th, 2019 4:04 pm
Any further word? Evolink said they were hoping for court approval by end of June...
I haven't received any update as of yet.