Expired Hot Deals

Air Canada Flight Pass - Price Error ($901 for 10 Western Flights)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2020 11:01 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4678 posts
1672 upvotes
Winnipeg
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: But what if I haven't decided by the end of 2020 when/where I want to travel in 2021? With the covid situation being so unpredictable....

Another option I was thinking is that Air Canada currently is offering credits to anyone who booked by March 31 2020. And the credits are valid until March 31 2021. Our credits are only good through Dec 2020. We could use our credit to book a flight (doesn't matter when or where) by March 31 2020, then cancel, thus extending our credit expiry from Dec 2020 to Mar 31 2021? In theory it should work, but has anyone actually tried it? Only 2 days left to test it...
I went ahead and booked a flight to use up the eCoupon, and promptly cancelled (within 24hrs)

AC gives an option refund back to original form (so back to your original eCoupon) or as a travel credit.

You now have 2 YEARS from date of cancellation to use up the travel credit. (Which you will have to call AC to book... with original ticket #... pain in the A)

But, this gives us much more time to use up these credits (April 2022 vs Dec 2020)
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2006
2489 posts
605 upvotes
canuckcolehead wrote: I went ahead and booked a flight to use up the eCoupon, and promptly cancelled (within 24hrs)

AC gives an option refund back to original form (so back to your original eCoupon) or as a travel credit.

You now have 2 YEARS from date of cancellation to use up the travel credit. (Which you will have to call AC to book... with original ticket #... pain in the A)

But, this gives us much more time to use up these credits (April 2022 vs Dec 2020)
Very smart- was it hard to cancel- did you have to call in? Or did you do it online?
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
2463 posts
1682 upvotes
I did the same as canuckcolehead. Cancelled online, it was quick and painless. Unfortunately to rebook you have to call them. They said they are working on an automated rebooking system, so people won't have to call to rebook soon
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
2463 posts
1682 upvotes
Since my boyfriend also got a travel voucher refund I'm contemplating using this method to "merge" the two refunds into 1... Usually aircanada is extremely stubborn about allowing you to use multiple payment methods, only allows 1 credit card and 1 gift card on the same transaction. Can't do credit card + 2 gift cards. But using this method it'll effectively merge the two gift cards into 1?
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4678 posts
1672 upvotes
Winnipeg
Daf wrote: Very smart- was it hard to cancel- did you have to call in? Or did you do it online?
Cancelled online, within 10 minutes of the booking... since its within 24hrs, it was easy.
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: I did the same as canuckcolehead. Cancelled online, it was quick and painless. Unfortunately to rebook you have to call them. They said they are working on an automated rebooking system, so people won't have to call to rebook soon
I'm hoping the re-booking will be easy and not have to spent hours on hold...
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: Since my boyfriend also got a travel voucher refund I'm contemplating using this method to "merge" the two refunds into 1... Usually aircanada is extremely stubborn about allowing you to use multiple payment methods, only allows 1 credit card and 1 gift card on the same transaction. Can't do credit card + 2 gift cards. But using this method it'll effectively merge the two gift cards into 1?
You can use your 2 gift cards to book, thats what I did with my gf's voucher too.

Find a flight (anywhere to anywhere) that adds up to $1006 (or close to it) and book with BOTH your names on the ticket.

My mistake is that I booked the 2 vouchers for 1 flight in my name only then cancelled, I think Ill only be able to re-book under my name and not add my gf or kids to use up the credits...
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
2463 posts
1682 upvotes
Looks like air canada caved and got rid of the 2 year expiry limit for covid19 travel vouchers
As of June 15, 2020, you will be able to convert your previously cancelled booking (for original travel between March 1, 2020 and June 30, 2021) to an Air Canada Travel Voucher that is fully transferrable and never expires or Aeroplan Miles with an additional 65% bonus miles. Learn more.[/quote
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
3243 posts
1041 upvotes
Ontario
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: Looks like air canada caved and got rid of the 2 year expiry limit for covid19 travel vouchers
Can we transform these eVouchers into Aeroplan miles by booking and then cancelling?
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay
Bank: Alterna (1.9%, no fees)
Brokers: IB (For. stocks/low comm)/Reg. RBCDI(service, USD)
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2003
4215 posts
2600 upvotes
Edmonton
minimalist wrote: Can we transform these eVouchers into Aeroplan miles by booking and then cancelling?
Yes

Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2008
1228 posts
235 upvotes
Coquitlam, BC
ChinpokoMon wrote: Yes

Is it literally as simple as booking a flight (say for December 2020) worth a bit more than the voucher, and then cancelling within 24 hours online?
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
3243 posts
1041 upvotes
Ontario
ChinpokoMon wrote: Yes

I booked a flight and then cancelled 10 minutes later with my ecoupon + a small amount on my CC.

I was not presented with this option to convert to Aeroplan.

I got the refund on my CC and am waiting for my voucher.

Did I do something wrong?

I have to do the same with spouse's eVoucher.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2003
4215 posts
2600 upvotes
Edmonton
DarkCanuck wrote: Is it literally as simple as booking a flight (say for December 2020) worth a bit more than the voucher, and then cancelling within 24 hours online?
minimalist wrote: I booked a flight and then cancelled 10 minutes later with my ecoupon + a small amount on my CC.

I was not presented with this option to convert to Aeroplan.
You need to wait longer before you'll see those conversion options. Check back after a few days after you made the booking, and they should show up when you cancel.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
3243 posts
1041 upvotes
Ontario
ChinpokoMon wrote: You need to wait longer before you'll see those conversion options. Check back after a few days after you made the booking, and they should show up when you cancel.
Did you book a refundable fare?
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2003
4215 posts
2600 upvotes
Edmonton
minimalist wrote: Did you book a refundable fare?
My fare was mixed - refundable on one leg, and non-fundable on another. But whether the fare was refundable or otherwise should not impact your ability to convert your cancelled trip into miles.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2008
1228 posts
235 upvotes
Coquitlam, BC
FYI, just got an email response from Air Canada.

My eCoupons were set to expire Dec 11, 2012. In August 2020, they added another year to that automatically, to December 11, 2021.

I emailed them a couple days ago asking them to confirm the expiry date, and this was my their response.

Dear Mr. XXX

Thank you for your email.

I understand travel plans you had may now be on hold and you did not have an opportunity to use the eCoupon we provided.

In appreciation of your support, an additional 12 months has been added to the validity of your eCoupon.  You may use the same eCoupon and pin number provided previously.  Please note only the booking needs to be made by expiry, travel does not have to begin until a later date.

We hope this extension allows us the opportunity to welcome you on board soon.

Sincerely,
XXXXXX
Customer Relations