Air Canada frequent flyers will get complimentary Wi-Fi in 2018

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2017 10:51 am
Banned
Jan 12, 2015
4107 posts
27311 upvotes

Air Canada frequent flyers will get complimentary Wi-Fi in 2018

Air Canada Altitude Elite 75K and Super Elite 100K frequent flyers will get access to complimentary in-flight Wi-Fi, starting in 2018. Gogo, the company that provides Wi-Fi service to Air Canada flights, made the announcement earlier this week alongside the airliner. While the service officially starts in 2018, later this year Air Canada will contact Elite 75K and Super Elite 100K members to offer them the option to choose between 6- and 12-month unlimited-use Wi-Fi passes that can be used onboard Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada Rogue flights. “Earlier this year, Air Canada announced plans to launch an all new, digital-first loyalty program in June 2020. While we design the future program, we’re committed to adding new options and benefits for Altitude members today and over the next two years,” said Air Canada’s Mark Nasr in a prepared statement. “In-flight Wi-Fi is a critical amenity for business and leisure travelers alike, so we’re excited to become the first North American airline to offer the choice of unlimited Wi-Fi plans to our most frequent Altitude members.” Gogo provides its Wi-Fi service with the help of satellites. According to the company, Air Canada is the first North American airline to offer its service to frequent flyers.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/11/30/air- ... tary-wifi/
6 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2050 posts
925 upvotes
HK
Thanks but no thanks. Another excuse for business travelers having to "work" on the plane.

Just to be clear, members needs to select wifi as one of their privileges, which is likely not a popular choices relative to 100% bonus miles, eupgrade credits, 50k for a friend or even lower re-qualification level.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27803 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
McKinsey wrote: Thanks but no thanks. Another excuse for business travelers having to "work" on the plane.

Just to be clear, members needs to select wifi as one of their privileges, which is likely not a popular choices relative to 100% bonus miles, eupgrade credits, 50k for a friend or even lower re-qualification level.
Gotta agree.

“Trying” to work on a cramped plane is ridiculous... it a PITA for everyone involved... the worker, their seat row mates, flight crew... everyone.

If I was racking up miles doing extensive business travel (been there / done that) then I’d be looking for ways I COULD PERSONALLY BENEFIT from a menu of perks, and work would not be my first choice. I’d be more interested in earning extra miles that I can convert into vacation flights for when I was not work8ng.
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
11548 posts
5376 upvotes
Moving target
Sounds like a nice benefit when travelling for pleasure. If travelling for work, and actually working. I think most employers would easily approve an expense like this.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1569 posts
1129 upvotes
Ottawa
McKinsey wrote: Thanks but no thanks. Another excuse for business travelers having to "work" on the plane.
PointsHubby wrote: “Trying” to work on a cramped plane is ridiculous... it a PITA for everyone involved... the worker, their seat row mates, flight crew... everyone.
GangStarr wrote: Sounds like a nice benefit when travelling for pleasure. If travelling for work, and actually working. I think most employers would easily approve an expense like this.
Indeed. I expect most 75k+ fliers are at flying for work/business a majority of their time, and if/when needed can expense WiFi. They'll take it if its genuinely free, but if it is a choice versus status "rewards" (=partially bribes) that benefit them personally, they'll choose those.

Personally I get a lot of work done at 35,000 feet. It's actually pretty comfortable as an "office" if you're in a business class pod, and I'd much rather spend my time getting stuff done (and sleeping) and then having free time at home, versus watching movies in flight and then have work to do at home. I'm pretty sure I'll have a very productive week next week, including 4 long-haul flights totalling 30 hours in the air. Mind you, part of the reason it's very productive working time is that there are no distractions, so I'm not going to start regularly using in-flight Internet until it's truly professionally and socially unacceptable to not be connected all the time.
Jun 4, 2017
90 posts
3 upvotes
What about Air Canada Employees travelling on Air Canada?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
Jagmin wrote: What about Air Canada Employees travelling on Air Canada?
What about them? They don't collect miles unless they pay.
You don't pay Air Canada for the wifi.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)