Travel

Air Canada Full Refund Due to Canada/US border closing?

• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2020 3:28 pm
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
12666 posts
9899 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
RobertM3946 wrote: i booked a flight to Houston using Aeroplan. Now i need to cancel which I'm encouraged to do online at Aeroplan.com I'm directed to Manage My Bookings. Can't find a link or instructions on how to cancel a booking on that page.

Calling Aeroplan but on hold with horrible music playing on a loop for hours on end and still no response.

any suggestions?
Hi, see you are new here ... so welcome

Check out this recent thread on Aeroplan Cancelling
aeroplan-online-cancellation-not-working-2362025
Dec 10, 2006
549 posts
107 upvotes
treksub wrote: If the USA/Canada boarder is closed, will the credit card company allow a chargeback for a plane ticket flying between USA and Canada?
If the airline cancels the flight yes. It is best to work it out directly with AirCanada though.
[OP]
May 23, 2017
188 posts
14 upvotes
e909 wrote: If the airline cancels the flight yes. It is best to work it out directly with AirCanada though.
I have a flight to the USA next week and it is not cancelled so far. The government is closing the boarder and Air Canada is just offering future travel credit good until end of this year. Can I ask the credit card company to do a chargeback to get the refund to my credit card instead?
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2096 posts
2196 upvotes
Yes, you can ask.

You may not like the answer.
Dec 10, 2006
549 posts
107 upvotes
treksub wrote: I have a flight to the USA next week and it is not cancelled so far. The government is closing the boarder and Air Canada is just offering future travel credit good until end of this year. Can I ask the credit card company to do a chargeback to get the refund to my credit card instead?
If Air Canada has cancelled the flight and refuses to refund you you can do a chargeback for failure to deliver services. I believe you have 2 hours until the flight leaves to cancel the flight, so keep waiting to see if Air Canada cancels the flight.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
12666 posts
9899 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
treksub wrote: I have a flight to the USA next week and it is not cancelled so far. The government is closing the boarder and Air Canada is just offering future travel credit good until end of this year. Can I ask the credit card company to do a chargeback to get the refund to my credit card instead?
Your flight will most likely be cancelled ... so sit tight

With the new Border Agreement (closure) it’s cuz neither country wants a lot of Tourists running around
As history shows Covid 19 is a Travellers Disease
Spreading place to place by infected Travellers / Tourists

And BTW ... AC has changed their policy regarding Future Travel Credits cuz of COVID 19
They now will be good for 24 months

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2020-03 ... 9-Response
[OP]
May 23, 2017
188 posts
14 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Your flight will most likely be cancelled ... so sit tight

With the new Border Agreement (closure) it’s cuz neither country wants a lot of Tourists running around
As history shows Covid 19 is a Travellers Disease
Spreading place to place by infected Travellers / Tourists

And BTW ... AC has changed their policy regarding Future Travel Credits cuz of COVID 19
They now will be good for 24 months

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2020-03 ... 9-Response
My flight is next Wednesday March 25. I think the 24 months is only for cancelled flights.
For flights not cancelled and departing before April 30. The future travel credit must be completed by December 31, 2020 (see image attached).
Images
  • air canada dec 2020 exp.jpg
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2015
1005 posts
378 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
treksub wrote: My flight is next Wednesday March 25. I think the 24 months is only for cancelled flights.
For flights not cancelled and departing before April 30. The future travel credit must be completed by December 31, 2020 (see image attached).
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavir ... -1.4859341

If I were you I'd just wait. If this is true that the border is closing between US and Canada this week-end, Air Canada will most likely cancel your flight and you will be able to get the credits for 24 months.
I know it's hard to wait. I'm in the same boat. I'm just waiting for my flight to Lisbon to get cancelled so that I can get the 24 months credit instead of the December 2020 deadline.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34643 posts
8542 upvotes
Ottawa
ckay1980 wrote: I think the people having to pay the non-refundable fees and that are not getting full refund are those travelling after April 30. When is your flight?
Mine is April 7 to 21 and if I cancel online, I get the full credit. It's just the deadline to use the credits that I'm not happy with (dec 2020).

But as the statement that I posted above said, people will get credits for 24 months if their flights are affected. So if I were you, I'd just wait a bit to have more options.
My flight out is 23 April. I have a fully refundable ticket (business class).
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2015
1005 posts
378 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Pete_Coach wrote: My flight out is 23 April. I have a fully refundable ticket (business class).
Are you back after the 30th? maybe that's why you are not getting the full amount?
Do you plan on waiting for the flight to be cancelled too?

Vueling did a trick on people. My flight from Faro to Barcelona was cancelled and I received an email to change or request a refund. I chose a refund. Then I receive an email saying it will be processed in 10 days and will include a voucher with December 2020 expiry. At no point during the refund process there was a mention of a voucher. Angry Face
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34643 posts
8542 upvotes
Ottawa
ckay1980 wrote: Are you back after the 30th? maybe that's why you are not getting the full amount?
Do you plan on waiting for the flight to be cancelled too?
To Lisbon on 23 April and back from Madrid on 10 May. Spain is closed, as much as other countries in Europe.
Yes I am waiting.
We were originally routed through YYZ and Heathrow, then Boston to Lisbon, then they changed though Newark to Lisbon. Now Newark is out (no notification yet). Heathrow is still on A/C schedule online. Interestingly, they said Heathrow will be cancelled yet when you look it up, it still shows and available. Madrid airport is closed too but it still shows as flight available. I think they have not had the time to update their schedules.
Last edited by Pete_Coach on Mar 20th, 2020 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Apr 17, 2007
738 posts
13 upvotes
Oshawa
Are you not able to simply have your credit card company refund through an insurance claim? Surely we should not be bound to a credit for a service not provided?
Dec 10, 2006
549 posts
107 upvotes
espanolguy wrote: Are you not able to simply have your credit card company refund through an insurance claim? Surely we should not be bound to a credit for a service not provided?
If Air Canada cancels your flight they need to give you a refund, you do not need insurance for that. It does not matter what Air Canada states their policies are. They cancelled your ticket, they owe you a refund due to contract law.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)