Travel

Air Canada Full Refund Due to Canada/US border closing?

• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2020 3:28 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2010
1509 posts
149 upvotes
Markham
Why are they not refunding the tickets? I was waiting it out as I have a Vegas flight in a few weeks. I don't want a credit. I'd rather have a full refund.

I booked on a travel card. Is it a long process to put in a claim? Scotia Amex

If we get a credit don't we lose our insurance from our credit card? I dont think Amex would cover the rebook? For things like trip delay and baggage insurance
Last edited by DdBigs on Mar 19th, 2020 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 10, 2006
549 posts
107 upvotes
DdBigs wrote: Why are they not refunding the tickets? I was waiting it out as I have a Vegas flight in a few weeks. I don't want a credit. I'd rather have a full refund.

Has Air Canada cancelled your flight? Wait until they do, then ask for a refund.
Aug 29, 2009
48 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Has anyone been successful in getting a full refund to their credit card for a flight which AC cancelled?

I think there are many issues with accepting a refund in the form of a travel credit. Once travel restrictions are lifted, there is no certainty whether the same flights can be booked at or even anywhere near the same cost as your original booking, sometimes life circumstances change preventing you from using the credit making the credit next to worthless, and lastly it is a way of the airline borrowing money from you for free without providing any service or any guarantee that an identical service can be provided in the future with the credit given.
Dec 10, 2006
549 posts
107 upvotes
Streetthispgt wrote: Has anyone been successful in getting a full refund to their credit card for a flight which AC cancelled?

I think there are many issues with accepting a refund in the form of a travel credit. Once travel restrictions are lifted, there is no certainty whether the same flights can be booked at or even anywhere near the same cost as your original booking, sometimes life circumstances change preventing you from using the credit making the credit next to worthless, and lastly it is a way of the airline borrowing money from you for free without providing any service or any guarantee that an identical service can be provided in the future with the credit given.
Not to mention the risk of the airline declaring bankruptcy.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34626 posts
8509 upvotes
Ottawa
DdBigs wrote: Why are they not refunding the tickets? I was waiting it out as I have a Vegas flight in a few weeks. I don't want a credit. I'd rather have a full refund.

If we get a credit don't we lose our insurance from our credit card? I dont think Amex would cover the rebook? For things like trip delay and baggage insurance
I believe they do not have enough money to give it all back.
I am not sure the credit card companies can give it back wither if the airlines are not refunding in cash.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
[OP]
May 23, 2017
172 posts
11 upvotes
treksub wrote: My flight is next Wednesday March 25. I think the 24 months is only for cancelled flights.
For flights not cancelled and departing before April 30. The future travel credit must be completed by December 31, 2020 (see image attached).
Prime minister Trudeau explained that travelers won't be permitted to cross the border for recreation and tourism. Based on this, shouldn't Air Canada refund the money to the original form of payment instead of future travel credit expiring end of this year?
Feb 8, 2005
161 posts
25 upvotes
Air Canada cancelled my flight and changed me to a flight on another day due to the coronavirus. I still want to travel to my destination, but a date change is really disruptive. I've never experienced this situation before. What are my options? I don't want a monetary travel credit because I got a great price on the flight, and rebooking will cost me more money. Can I ask for a credit that allows me to rebook another ticket without paying anything extra? Can I ask for an upgrade to business class if I accept the change date?
Nov 6, 2014
444 posts
694 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
NO! Stay home! There's a world pandemic/outbreak and you want to be comp'd to business class?!!!
Mar 8, 2004
255 posts
82 upvotes
Kanata
We had this happen non virus related. It said in the email we had the option to cancel for full refund which we did as we could rebook cheaper.
Feb 8, 2005
161 posts
25 upvotes
Thanks for the link. It's very useful. My original search didn't show it. It looks like I get a monetary travel credit that's much higher than what I paid for that's good for 24 months. I'll take that.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2093 posts
2188 upvotes
treksub wrote: Prime minister Trudeau explained that travelers won't be permitted to cross the border for recreation and tourism. Based on this, shouldn't Air Canada refund the money to the original form of payment instead of future travel credit expiring end of this year?
No.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
16856 posts
3260 upvotes
Toronto
For all those wondering why you’re getting a credit and not a refund, despite a refund being owed: it’s because the airline doesn’t have enough cash on hand to give everyone refunds, it’s why they’re trying to get away with travel credits (which if they go bankrupt could be worthless anyways).

See my post here:
ac-b-air-canada-1268761/12/#p32299150
Real Estate Agent, CPA, CA

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)