• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2020 7:39 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2003
1244 posts
504 upvotes
Vancouver
quasarito wrote: It's happened with American Airlines: AAirpass (Wikipedia)

"The program (now re-branded as AirPass) initially enabled passholders unlimited first class travel on any of the airline's flights worldwide. Lifetime membership was priced at $250,000, with the option to purchase a companion pass for an additional $150,000. [...] The program was launched at a time when the airline was struggling financially and in need of a quick infusion of cash."
We're comparing 1-3 months (during a pandemic) vs lifetime flights. :rolleyes:

For the AA program, people were flying to London for lunch then back to New York to catch a Broadway show. In the current climate, good for those who's willing to go through the trouble to abuse the program.
Mar 17, 2018
944 posts
1366 upvotes
I wonder how many mile high clubs you could join in 30 days?
Yes, I'd like to price match RedFlagDeals please - Ken Adams
$50 15GB Unlimited Talk and Text
$22.99 1GB Unlimited Talk/Text Canada Public Mobile
$0.00 a month (FREE using Google Opinion Rewards) Unlimited Talk/Text Fongo Mobile App
Jun 2, 2011
31 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
14 days quarantine between most provinces so pretty much 2 flights max a month
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
1982 posts
933 upvotes
YYZ
Nhuynh555 wrote: 14 days quarantine between most provinces so pretty much 2 flights max a month
nobody follows that. ive literally spoken to people who told me they've just got back from Pearson

after i hear that i usually turn the other way.
Licensed Full Service Realtor
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
8610 posts
4975 upvotes
Toronto
OP should add monthly pass to make it more clear.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2005
1598 posts
864 upvotes
Was so tempted to get this but it looks like the Airport Lounges in many places are closed for unknown reasons.

We can open restaurants but not lounges. Face With Rolling Eyes
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
2219 posts
589 upvotes
YVR
Diafel wrote: Was so tempted to get this but it looks like the Airport Lounges in many places are closed for unknown reasons.

Hm, yes does put a damper on it. Had a sliver of a thought of living for a month basically in the airport, jumping from lounge to lounge for showers and meals.
Zoomer
Jan 9, 2014
960 posts
778 upvotes
Edmonton
To all the folks saying the government will bail out Air Canada, the answer is yes and no. They will bail out Air Canada with a loan. Former stock holder here, not so much anymore.
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
14655 posts
4039 upvotes
HaZaRd wrote: This doesn't even seem like a good deal to me.

$2,260 per month for unlimited travel. Great. But how many flights can you take in that time while still actually enjoying where you land? Seems kinda pointless if you actually want to see Canada.
Could be worthwhile to fly to more remote cities in the country.
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
2219 posts
589 upvotes
YVR
Lone_Prodigy wrote: Could be worthwhile to fly to more remote cities in the country.
Absolutely, in normal times this would be a very compelling deal. Flights to more remote places in Canada are actually prohibitively expensive for the most part. These same more remote places have pretty strict guidelines these days on inbound travel as well so the use case here is limited.
Zoomer
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4388 posts
941 upvotes
HaZaRd wrote: This doesn't even seem like a good deal to me.
$2,260 per month for unlimited travel. Great. But how many flights can you take in that time while still actually enjoying where you land? Seems kinda pointless if you actually want to see Canada.
You're not the target market. This isn't for casual travellers. This is for frequent and business travellers. If you're flying between say Vancouver and Toronto it'll take 3 round trips to break even. If between Toronto and Montreal it'll be 7 round trips. Still doesn't seem worth it even then though.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3618 posts
2881 upvotes
Nhuynh555 wrote: 14 days quarantine between most provinces so pretty much 2 flights max a month
Which provinces have 14 day quarantine? Not in BC, Alberta, Ontario or Quebec which I would assume are the most popular destination/provinces
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3618 posts
2881 upvotes
Diafel wrote: Was so tempted to get this but it looks like the Airport Lounges in many places are closed for unknown reasons.

It's not govt preventing opening of lounges but a business decision by the respective companies . Lounges can open if they want, they just choose not to. Eg even in countries with few(er) restrictions like UK, the plaza premiums and some of the airline lounges are closed .

Most lounges around the world are also closed

I mean traffic is way down, so the lounges don't make business sense to be open. Eg plaza premium only has yvr open from like 7am-3pm in Canada

MLL is open in Toronto though
Opening first on July 24 to eligible customers travelling on a domestic or international flight will be the Maple Leaf Lounge at Toronto Pearson, D gates. This will be followed by the lounges located in the domestic departure areas at airports in Montreal and Vancouver in the coming weeks.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3618 posts
2881 upvotes
Mulder and Scully wrote: You're not the target market. This isn't for casual travellers. This is for frequent and business travellers. If you're flying between say Vancouver and Toronto it'll take 3 round trips to break even. If between Toronto and Montreal it'll be 7 round trips. Still doesn't seem worth it even then though.
4 round trips to yvr or yyc from YYZ will be worth it already or smaller airports that are usually like $700+ flight