Expired Hot Deals

[Air Canada] Infinite Canada Flight Pass

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2020 7:39 am
Newbie
Sep 15, 2020
1 posts
I don't think the airlines are really killing it as corporations go. I really think they are so close to the margins that they need to eek out every penny to please their shareholders. Now, in a soft market, they are compelled to lower offers. That is all it is. They don't love you either.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2008
1305 posts
610 upvotes
Vancouver
Diafel wrote: Was so tempted to get this but it looks like the Airport Lounges in many places are closed for unknown reasons.

We can open restaurants but not lounges. Face With Rolling Eyes
Lounges operate on a buffet model for serving food / drinks / reading material, private showers, etc. If you take that away, all you have are some nice chairs with electrical receptacles. Airports are not busy so there isn't a shortage of quiet spaces with seats + electrical receptacles.
Newbie
Sep 13, 2008
10 posts
8 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: Which provinces have 14 day quarantine? Not in BC, Alberta, Ontario or Quebec which I would assume are the most popular destination/provinces
The territories, Manitoba, and Atlantic Canada.
Newbie
Nov 5, 2008
51 posts
28 upvotes
Here was an article on a guy who bought this and he companion pass but they eventually revoked it because it flew too much.... there’s always one person...
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3618 posts
2881 upvotes
thomascook12 wrote: The territories, Manitoba, and Atlantic Canada.
Yup, just as I thought. Ones that aren't popular destinations for majority of domestic leisure travellers
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3618 posts
2881 upvotes
knc06 wrote: Here was an article on a guy who bought this and he companion pass but they eventually revoked it because it flew too much.... there’s always one person...
This or the American airlines one?

The AA one was because the guy was selling trips to people using his companion pass which violated the terms and conditions
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2008
1162 posts
646 upvotes
Id love to take advantage of this and go up north during Aurora season. Quarantine for two weeks waiting to see one kinda works hand in hand lol. Highly doubt The Territories would be part of this deal.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
1086 posts
2185 upvotes
actng wrote: when a restaurant switches to AYCE model, it's usually on its last legs
Yeah. This is a pretty horrible sign.
Member
Apr 16, 2019
388 posts
312 upvotes
If you must travel, then you must.
Otherwise too may negatives, like are you covered for health insurance outside of your province as ICU stays and air ambulance costs are very expensive...
Currently the reproduction number is above 1 in Ontario and in several other jurisdictions, that AC services.
If the 'going back to school' for kids, teens and twenty somethings turns into super-spreader events, then you may loose your money, etc.

Buyer beware Slightly Smiling Face
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 15, 2014
2448 posts
1225 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
If we weren't in the middle of a pandemic, I may have jumped on this.. but.. you know..
This space for rent.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2005
5259 posts
3275 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: This or the American airlines one?

The AA one was because the guy was selling trips to people using his companion pass which violated the terms and conditions
The guy from the article wasn't selling anything. It was the cancelations that did him in.

He booked and canceled thousands of flights and on his companion pass he booked thousands of flights with no intention of having someone fly with him so he could have an empty seat.

He caused AA to lose revenue for empty seats.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 3, 2006
4388 posts
941 upvotes
EricA8320 wrote: I don't think the airlines are really killing it as corporations go. I really think they are so close to the margins that they need to eek out every penny to please their shareholders.
This is a common misconception. The larger airlines, like Air Canada and United, have profit margins in the 12% to 32% range in any given year. Air Canada had a profit margin of 19% in 2019 and 15% in 2018.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 3, 2006
4388 posts
941 upvotes
mech9t5 wrote: The guy from the article wasn't selling anything. It was the cancelations that did him in.
He booked and canceled thousands of flights and on his companion pass he booked thousands of flights with no intention of having someone fly with him so he could have an empty seat.
He caused AA to lose revenue for empty seats.
The real story is much deeper and quite sad (in the emotional way). TLDR: Guy was a frequent business traveller. He became good friends with many AA front line employees and senior executives from all his travels. He gifted his free seats to family and friends who used them. His only son died at 15. The guy's brother and frequent flying companion also died a few years later. These events led to his deep depression and which he never got out of. Because he was always travelling, his closest friends were AA employees. And as everyone got older with their own lives they didn't have time to fly as often anymore. This was when the guy began booking flights on behalf of other people but those people never showed up and thus all the empty seats. AA had a legit reason to terminate the Airpass. But the real reason the guy kept booking speculative seats was just so he could talk to AA employees and his friends over the phone. Depression is a killer.

https://narratively.com/the-man-with-th ... ne-ticket/
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2005
5259 posts
3275 upvotes
Mulder and Scully wrote: The real story is much deeper and quite sad (in the emotional way). TLDR: Guy was a frequent business traveller. He became good friends with many AA front line employees and senior executives from all his travels. He gifted his free seats to family and friends who used them. His only son died at 15. The guy's brother and frequent flying companion also died a few years later. These events led to his deep depression and which he never got out of. Because he was always travelling, his closest friends were AA employees. And as everyone got older with their own lives they didn't have time to fly as often anymore. This was when the guy began booking flights on behalf of other people but those people never showed up and thus all the empty seats. AA had a legit reason to terminate the Airpass. But the real reason the guy kept booking speculative seats was just so he could talk to AA employees and his friends over the phone. Depression is a killer.

https://narratively.com/the-man-with-th ... ne-ticket/
didn't want to get into that. but ya, he had his reasons for doing it but AA didn't care and neither did the court (if it was brought up to either).
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
2326 posts
713 upvotes
dekay wrote: For people interested in travelling within Canada, Air Canada's selling a flat rate Flight pass. Prices start at $2100 for most Canadian gateways (one month use).

Since Toronto's the center of the world, I'm happy to inform you that your price is $2260. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

Sale applies to Canadian residents only.
AC is looking for another Cash Infusion from taxpayers in addition to the funds they are already sitting on from cancelled flights.

Top