• May 9th, 2021 7:27 am
[OP]
Sep 29, 2010
366 posts
506 upvotes

Air Canada to issue Refunds!

just heard this on the news...

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2021/03/03/ ... ay-unifor/

great news... now only have to wait for the fine print and see how it works if they already issued travelers flight credit...

no doubt tax payers will be bailing AC out... and this was one of the "conditions."
189 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2020
3610 posts
3237 upvotes
Toronto
greatgordini wrote: no doubt tax payers will be bailing AC out... and this was one of the "conditions."
Air Canada has agreed to offer refunds to passengers who had their travel plans cancelled because of the pandemic as part of a potential federal government bailout package, says a source with knowledge of the negotiations.

Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1497 posts
837 upvotes
Toronto
Already got my refund through a charge-back
Apr 7, 2006
377 posts
21 upvotes
Great, should we just call them to get the refund?
Jan 31, 2007
452 posts
263 upvotes
This is some shell game BS here. Why doesn't the govt just ask people to submit their canceled flights to a fund for review and divvy out refunds to eligible people since taxpayers are funding it? And then tell AC/Westjet to take a hike. Because I don't see why we should give money and get pennies back on the dollar.

If AC can't be viable, let them die. I smell corporate welfare because they managed to find money to buy air transat during this so something isn't adding up.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9731 posts
4921 upvotes
Markham
How do they process? For example, one got transferable voucher, sell it to someone else and then request refund, how could they detect this kind of fraud ?

It's similar to sell a phone and call the Rogers to claim stolen and get refund
Last edited by smartie on Mar 4th, 2021 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10886 posts
13258 upvotes
Vancouver
Temujin1 wrote: If AC can't be viable, let them die. I smell corporate welfare because they managed to find money to buy air transat during this so something isn't adding up.
This. I can just hear the discussion around the boardroom table.

"Hey, guys! I have a great idea. You know all of that money we have saved up from those cancelled flights we never refunded? Let's use it to buy another airline. We can then get a government bailout and repay people with that."
"Yessss! Best idea ever. But let's make sure to keep some of that money to pay ourselves our bonuses."
Jul 30, 2015
780 posts
728 upvotes
FINALLY some sort of financial support is coming! YAY
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36183 posts
10323 upvotes
Ottawa
Latitude57 wrote: FINALLY some sort of financial support is coming! YAY
For the support , yes.

Not celebrating yet.
Lets see if Air Canada (and others) will still abide by their rules and T's & C's on refundable, non-refundable and third party purchases.

Plus, what happens to those that accepted vouchers (an maybe transferred them or sold them)....are voucher holders out of luck?

Still lots of questions out there.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Apr 7, 2006
377 posts
21 upvotes
Just called Air Canada, they aren't doing the refund now, but waiting for the government offers them moneyNeutral Face
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36183 posts
10323 upvotes
Ottawa
reddeals wrote: Just called Air Canada, they aren't doing the refund now, but waiting for the government offers them moneyNeutral Face
You surely didn't think a press release by Jerry Dias and UNIFOR would make Air Canada give refunds?? LOL
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4129 posts
424 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Pete_Coach wrote: You surely didn't think a press release by Jerry Dias and UNIFOR would make Air Canada give refunds?? LOL
This made me chuckle. Looks like someone didn't read the article, haha.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36183 posts
10323 upvotes
Ottawa
Typhoonz wrote: This made me chuckle. Looks like someone didn't read the article, haha.
Did you read the title of the article? "Air Canada refunds for cancelled, postponed flights on the way: Unifor"

Or do you mean this part “The company (Air Canada) has agreed to Ottawa’s crucial demand to repay the many customers who weren’t reimbursed for their plane tickets,” a Unifor representative tells 680 NEWS." ? "Unifor represents airline workers at Air Canada"

Hmmm, looks like I did read....did you?? haha.... :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4129 posts
424 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Pete_Coach wrote: Did you read the title of the article? "Air Canada refunds for cancelled, postponed flights on the way: Unifor"

Or do you mean this part “The company (Air Canada) has agreed to Ottawa’s crucial demand to repay the many customers who weren’t reimbursed for their plane tickets,” a Unifor representative tells 680 NEWS." ? "Unifor represents airline workers at Air Canada"

Hmmm, looks like I did read....did you?? haha.... :facepalm:
I was agreeing with you lol - the poster you initially quoted didn’t read the article Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36183 posts
10323 upvotes
Ottawa
Typhoonz wrote: I was agreeing with you lol - the poster you initially quoted didn’t read the article Face With Tears Of Joy
Does not read that way.
Then quote the person you are commenting on.........
Dec 1, 2020
540 posts
273 upvotes
You mean, Canadian taxpayers to fund refunds.
I likely do not care.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4129 posts
424 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Pete_Coach wrote: Does not read that way.
Then quote the person you are commenting on.........
Sorry.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36183 posts
10323 upvotes
Ottawa
XmasTreelights wrote: You mean, Canadian taxpayers to fund refunds.
Yeah, just like the Canadian taxpayer GM, Ford, Chrysler cars you drove a while back. :)