Expired Hot Deals

[Air Canada] Non-stop from Vancouver, Calgary or Edmonton, Canada to China from only $494 CAD roundtrip

• Last Updated:
  • May 13th, 2019 11:07 am
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2004
3312 posts
714 upvotes
MikoWilson wrote:
May 9th, 2019 2:14 am
Huh? There is plenty of competition within Canada. Sometimes it's cheaper to fly from Vancouver to Florida than from Vancouver to Kelowna; it's simply demand economics. The planes that fly to China also have incredibly expensive tickets in ultra premium class that pay for the majority of the flight.
Huh? Depending on where you fly and where you are located within Canada, your choices are limited to Aor Canada and Westjet.

Maybe you consider that as being competition, but it doesn’t to me.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
21636 posts
7534 upvotes
puglife644 wrote:
May 8th, 2019 11:55 pm
How is it cheaper to fly to China than it is to fly from one end of Canada to the other? Airfare prices don’t make sense to me
My favorite is flying from A to C with a stopover in B.

It's cheaper to fly A to B to C than it is to fly from A to B.
Also known as hidden city ticketing.
Oct 17, 2009
675 posts
1239 upvotes
Balduno wrote:
May 9th, 2019 2:32 am
Huh? Depending on where you fly and where you are located within Canada, your choices are limited to Aor Canada and Westjet.

Maybe you consider that as being competition, but it doesn’t to me.
Sure, depending on where you fly in America you could face a single option as well, that's life -- it happens. Popular routes have more competition, while less popular routes sometimes only have regional airline coverage.
The real issue with the price disparity vs distance flown is the inclusion of ultra-first class tickets that regional Canadian flights don't have :S
Here's a great breakdown on how airline economics work.
Dec 14, 2018
12 posts
6 upvotes
MikoWilson wrote:
May 9th, 2019 2:19 am
Yeah, that's not how the carbon tax works. . . at all.
He probably doesn't even know what a carbon tax is, likely just repeating what he sees on idiot box like a good little boy
Jan 11, 2017
5 posts
8 upvotes
Did this set of flights a couple years ago (YYC-PEK) for I think around $450. Totally worth it.

Hired a well known local driver for like $120USD for the day to take us to a further section of the Great Wall. Ate amazing Peking Duck in a ‘hutong’ district where we saw no foreigners for days, aside from in our neat hipster hotel that felt like it was inside an old-school palace courtyard. Enjoyed touring the Imperial City and seeing all the artifacts.

Yes there’s political issues nowadays, and you have to be lucky to get days with clear blue skies in Beijing (as we were), but it’s really hard to argue with paying <$500 to travel to a place with such remarkable sites. If Beijing doesn’t have enough for you, just buy tickets from a cheaper Asian airline and combine the trip with Hong Kong, Taiwan, another part of the mainland, etc.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1841 posts
766 upvotes
HK
puglife644 wrote:
May 8th, 2019 11:55 pm
How is it cheaper to fly to China than it is to fly from one end of Canada to the other? Airfare prices don’t make sense to me
It's called supply and demand (e.g. market competition). It's not based on mileage like a taxi.

I've paid $1300 for an hour flight YYZ-CMH lol.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1841 posts
766 upvotes
HK
Great price, even Premium Economy is only ~$1500, which is still cheaper than economy with other airlines/destinations in Asia.
Dec 12, 2014
278 posts
183 upvotes
Montréal, QC
Come on guys just buy more first class so we can buy cheap tickets... !
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2010
4750 posts
1845 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
jaynefonda wrote:
May 9th, 2019 3:21 am
He probably doesn't even know what a carbon tax is, likely just repeating what he sees on idiot box like a good little boy
MikoWilson wrote:
Now I learn something. The price of flight ticket was not impacted by carbon tax at all.

There are tiny flights that fly to US with no first class, and yet, it is cheaper than flying within Canada.
That is one reason why Canadians would rather have vacation in other countries.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Apr 7, 2007
577 posts
120 upvotes
Calgary, AB
One reason flights are so expensive in Canada is airports levy huge taxes on airlines in the form of "landing fees".
Oct 17, 2009
675 posts
1239 upvotes
theflyingsquirrel wrote:
May 9th, 2019 9:24 am
Now I learn something. The price of flight ticket was not impacted by carbon tax at all.

There are tiny flights that fly to US with no first class, and yet, it is cheaper than flying within Canada.
That is one reason why Canadians would rather have vacation in other countries.
Yeah, I don't know what your point is exactly.

The carbon tax hasn't been levied on air travel yet, so yeah, it hasn't impacted the price of travel. Will it in the future? Yeah, probably; and it should. Airplanes dump a ton of CO2 into the atmosphere, and right now, no one is paying for that.

Airline frequently have cheap flights out to return locations simply to relocate planes, making money on the return. There are so many different ways that airlines make money, trying to pin down why the Canadian market is the way it is, is a difficult proposition.
An example of the return flight premium is from Victoria to Cancun. I just flew to Cancun for $129, but paid $580 return through partner airlines. It's basic supply and demand -- yeah, a flight to chicago will be cheaper than flying to Kitchener. Sorry, not many people want to go to Kitchener :S
Sep 30, 2001
27592 posts
6711 upvotes
Toronto
a large number of posts have been removed for derailing this thread (and frankly some were just patently offensive).

If you have a problem with the Chinese government take your issues to the political forum. Thread-crapping just disincentives people from posting deals - the whole point of this website.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
30369 posts
2486 upvotes
Winnipeg
Drizzt wrote:
May 9th, 2019 1:40 am
I took my economics course in Beijing. It was cheaper than the transit pass to university :)
communism version i see.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
30369 posts
2486 upvotes
Winnipeg
MikoWilson wrote:
actually carbon tax is meant to tax anything that generates carbon, which includes transportation of all kinds.
Dec 25, 2007
259 posts
77 upvotes
CALGARY
Did a similar deal a few years ago from Calgary to Beijing. The visa was a bit pricey but lasts as long as your passport.

The air was pretty awful when I went in April 2017. Had a driver for the first 5 days I was there and it was pretty pleasant with a guide. Did another week of self exploration and absolutely hated it.
The food is pretty good and oddly the cycling culture is pretty big out there, but it is a bit chaotic. My friend got hit by an electric scooter on the sidewalk and I really struggled to breath after an extended bike ride.