Travel

Air Canada Suspending Frederiction Operations on Jan 23rd

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2021 7:51 pm
12 replies
Aug 3, 2017
663 posts
478 upvotes
YZF and the YYZ-YYT routes too. Atlantic Canada is super slow to keep service in a normal winter period, with the Atlantic borders closed to non-essential travel and now ON essentially closed down too, can imagine they really have no other choice.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35811 posts
9894 upvotes
Ottawa
No (or not enough to cover costs) passengers, why fly there?
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4689 posts
1106 upvotes
Scarborough
Other routes affected (from FT):

Prince Rupert, BC
Kamloops, BC
Yellowknife, NT
Fredericton, NB
Goose Bay, NL
Gander, NL

At least they have other local airlines they can depend on. I flew into Moncton instead of YFC and just drove the two hours. It's not that bad, though the weather isn't bad here (yet).
Jul 30, 2015
696 posts
579 upvotes
Suspending some routes to YOW as well. Some international routes too.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35811 posts
9894 upvotes
Ottawa
Latitude57 wrote: Suspending some routes to YOW as well. Some international routes too.
Yeah, some routes were cut back and others cancelled completely.
No customers, no business, no flights, no need for the employees either.

I think both Air Canada and Westjet have hung on as long as they could with the situations. Maybe this is opportunity for regional carriers that were under the Air Canada umbrella?
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Jul 30, 2015
696 posts
579 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: There's no demand. Why continue operating money-losing routes with no customers? The pandemic will be over eventually and demand will pick up bigger than ever. Let the airlines go into hibernation mode until then.
Problem with aviation is that you can't go into hibernation mode if your(foreign) competition has received financial support from it's government. You loose market. Not much Canadians get that. In the end, our government is destroying one very important industry in the country and yet everybody here seems to agree with it....
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
9659 posts
11385 upvotes
Vancouver
Latitude57 wrote: Problem with aviation is that you can't go into hibernation mode if your(foreign) competition has received financial support from it's government. You loose market. Not much Canadians get that. In the end, our government is destroying one very important industry in the country and yet everybody here seems to agree with it....
There is no foreign competition on domestic routes.
Jul 30, 2015
696 posts
579 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: There is no foreign competition on domestic routes.
I’m referring to international routes.
Aug 3, 2017
663 posts
478 upvotes
Latitude57 wrote: I’m referring to international routes.
The reality right now is that there is next to no demand in or out of Canada, so nobody is really gaining or losing market share. If anything has been an issue, it's that AC and WS, AC in particular refused to refund fares for flights it canceled and I suspect is losing some market share to US airlines on the limited amount of transborder flying that is going on.

It remains to be seen if AC/WS will lack the necessary capitalization to be globally competitive against airlines with bailouts after the pandemic ends. As it stands, AC/WS seem to be doing ok so far despite the hardship.
Jul 30, 2015
696 posts
579 upvotes
dolfan1980 wrote: The reality right now is that there is next to no demand in or out of Canada, so nobody is really gaining or losing market share. If anything has been an issue, it's that AC and WS, AC in particular refused to refund fares for flights it canceled and I suspect is losing some market share to US airlines on the limited amount of transborder flying that is going on.

It remains to be seen if AC/WS will lack the necessary capitalization to be globally competitive against airlines with bailouts after the pandemic ends. As it stands, AC/WS seem to be doing ok so far despite the hardship.
And where do you get that from ? Because it's false. As someone in the industry it is clear that everytime one of our airlines cuts a route, another foreign airlines picks our customers. You should see how full some foreign airlines flights are because our OWN airlines have stopped flying to some destinations.

WS we have no idea how they are doing as they arent a public company anymore but for sure it's not pretty. If you look at AC latest financial results the situation is alarming. Even if they have cash it doesnt mean much as they added a ton of debts and/or dilution of the company to raise that money. If anyone thinks that our airlines are doing OK so far compared to foreign airlines that received billions in bailout, then I dont know what to say.
Aug 3, 2017
663 posts
478 upvotes
Latitude57 wrote: And where do you get that from ? Because it's false. As someone in the industry it is clear that everytime one of our airlines cuts a route, another foreign airlines picks our customers. You should see how full some foreign airlines flights are because our OWN airlines have stopped flying to some destinations.

WS we have no idea how they are doing as they arent a public company anymore but for sure it's not pretty. If you look at AC latest financial results the situation is alarming. Even if they have cash it doesnt mean much as they added a ton of debts and/or dilution of the company to raise that money. If anyone thinks that our airlines are doing OK so far compared to foreign airlines that received billions in bailout, then I dont know what to say.
I am saying I don't think many people are flying so therefore customers are staying home, not going to a competitor. Are AC/WS perhaps losing some market share amongst the very few people flying, sure I will concede that. However, most Canada-International flights are canceled at the moment and the ones flying I doubt are all full and even if they are it is a drop in the bucket of normal traffic. I don't see anyone adding dozens of flights a day YYZ-Europe. Heck here in YOW we're probably down to about 1,000 people a day flying at all now in January, less than a tenth of normal and those are all on AC/WS domestic since we no longer have any other service. The international competitors haven't all jumped in with new routes.