Travel

Air Canada Travel Voucher Transfer Questions

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2021 1:25 pm
[OP]
Sep 13, 2019
2 posts

Air Canada Travel Voucher Transfer Questions

Hello, with all the Air Canada Travel Vouchers that are being given out I'm starting to see them come up for sale and am thinking about buying one off someone to save some $$.

I have questions about how the transfer works though. So they give you the voucher code and pin and then you get access to the voucher, I would assume they still have access to it at this point if they have the same info? Then how do you transfer it to your account/make it so you are the only person who can access it? Air Canada's website just mentions that its fully transferable but doesn't say much else.

Just looking to cover my bases if I do it to ensure its a more secure transaction, does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2004
5362 posts
1555 upvotes
Toronto
Because of the government imposed restrictions on travel, there is a very high chance Air Canada will declare bankruptcy. In this case, all vouchers may become void.

I would be wary of vouchers at the moment for that reason. Government restrictions are destroying our airline industry and it's hard to say what will be left of it once (or if they ever) lift restrictions.
Mar 3, 2009
870 posts
335 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I don't think there is any way to protect yourself here. It's just a gift card number and a pin.

The other problem is if you cancel the flights the money will go back to the gift card.

This all seems a bit risky.
Mar 3, 2009
870 posts
335 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
So it turns out I am wrong .... it happens about once per year :)

If you use an Air Canada gift card to book a NON-REFUNDABLE flight and you cancel it with Air Canada's flexible booking policy then you get a NEW gift card. This will take 4-6 weeks (or longer, or much longer maybe).

So I guess if you purchased a gift card from somebody and made a non refundable booking and canceled it after 24 hours you should get a new gift card (or Aeroplan miles if you so desired) with a new number and pin - eventually.

I'm still not sure it's a great idea to buy a gift card from somebody as it carries some risk - I am just sharing my personal experience with the Air Canada gift cards.