• Last Updated:
  • Sep 2nd, 2018 10:00 am
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1804 posts
2843 upvotes
Canada, eh?

Air Canada, WestJet raising checked luggage fees

FYI. I love how in 'sync' these companies are, it's almost like they're owned by the same company! Grinning Face With Smiling EyesFace With Tears Of Joy

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air-ca ... -1.4801201
Air Canada and WestJet Airlines Ltd. are raising fees for passengers to check their bags.

The country's two largest airlines are raising the fee for the first checked bag to $30 from $25. They will also raise the price of checking a second piece of luggage to $50 from $30.

Air Canada and WestJet say the increases follow similar fee bumps by major U.S. airline JetBlue Airways Corp., as well as rising fuel prices and other costs.

For years, the airlines checked the first bag for free, a policy that largely ended across the industry by 2014.

The increases were put in place this week for domestic flight bookings, and with WestJet are effective for international flights booked starting Tuesday.

The fees apply to the lowest fare classes at both airlines.
46 replies
Banned
Jan 12, 2015
4107 posts
27311 upvotes
The new baggage fees apply on flights across Canada, to and from the United States, the Caribbean and Mexico, departing on or after Oct. 5.

WestJet’s changes apply on flights starting Oct. 1 for domestic bookings made as of last Friday, and as of Tuesday on flights to the U.S. and international destinations.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
It's really the timefor me to go with the National Bank for their World Elite Master Card
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
3686 posts
4751 upvotes
B.C.
Funny how gas prices are actually lower than 2014 when they implemented bag fees.
When gas price dropped in 2016, did they remove the fee?
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
13067 posts
3756 upvotes
Another reason not to travel in North America? Any credit cards that have free luggage?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1806 posts
520 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
I think all those checked baggage fees are such a money grab. We're looking at flying to Europe next spring and KLM charges $75 for the first checked bag, British Airways $60.
On shorter domestic flights, I can see why they do it, but on longer haul flights it's a total rip off. Those companies are not charter companies, they're national carriers.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
Didn't take long for them to jump on the American bandwagon. Discount airlines as well as major ones in the US raised the fees some time ago.
By the way, Porter has 3 rates for checked bags...online, at the counter and at the gate....won't be long before others get onboard with that one too. https://www.flyporter.com/en/travel-inf ... -allowance
The whole problem I have with the checked bag fee (and the increases) is that it basically forces people to carry on. The carry ons are getting bigger and bigger and some gate agents check while others don't so the inconstancy is pissing people off.
The next step to make more money will be for the airlines to strictly enforce the carry on rules and make people check in the bags that are oversize. Cha Ching...more money :)
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2733 posts
3964 upvotes
speedyforme wrote: Another reason not to travel in North America? Any credit cards that have free luggage?
RBC Westjet Mastercard.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
13067 posts
3756 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Didn't take long for them to jump on the American bandwagon. Discount airlines as well as major ones in the US raised the fees some time ago.
By the way, Porter has 3 rates for checked bags...online, at the counter and at the gate....won't be long before others get onboard with that one too. https://www.flyporter.com/en/travel-inf ... -allowance
The whole problem I have with the checked bag fee (and the increases) is that it basically forces people to carry on. The carry ons are getting bigger and bigger and some gate agents check while others don't so the inconstancy is pissing people off.
The next step to make more money will be for the airlines to strictly enforce the carry on rules and make people check in the bags that are oversize. Cha Ching...more money :)
More carryons, they get bigger and more cumbersome; causing more delays when boarding and getting off the plane etc.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
speedyforme wrote: More carryons, they get bigger and more cumbersome; causing more delays when boarding and getting off the plane etc.
I have not seen delays because of carry on bags but certainly, the folks in economy have been jammed in there with carry ons. Lots of discomfort for sure....and winter (with big coats) is coming.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
11549 posts
5377 upvotes
Moving target
It’s time they lower or eliminate checked bag fees and significantly raise carry on fees. If it doesn’t fit under your seat you should pay.

I happen to be flying around Europe on holidays and even keeping to “carry on size” the bags still go in the cargo hold because these 737 can’t accommodate everyone’s f*ing rollers

When I travel outside of vacation I expense luggage fees so charge me $100 for a carry on so I can get where I’m going fast.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
1280 posts
518 upvotes
GangStarr wrote: It’s time they lower or eliminate checked bag fees and significantly raise carry on fees. If it doesn’t fit under your seat you should pay.

I happen to be flying around Europe on holidays and even keeping to “carry on size” the bags still go in the cargo hold because these 737 can’t accommodate everyone’s f*ing rollers

When I travel outside of vacation I expense luggage fees so charge me $100 for a carry on so I can get where I’m going fast.
Ha-ha! they will gladly increase/introduce carry-on fees (like WOW already doing)
but lowering check-in fees? no way!

Cheers!
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
1280 posts
518 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Didn't take long for them to jump on the American bandwagon. Discount airlines as well as major ones in the US raised the fees some time ago.
Online check-in fees are less expensive than airport-time fees
in several companies, like AirLingus and RyanAir. AirLingus
has check-in fees differential for 15, 20, 25 and 35 KG
and for distance short, medium, long.

Yes, it is money grab, but it is basis for capitalism.
Business set own rules, customer (or other business) takes it or walks...

I am in full support of your idea to enforce carry-on size limits.

Cheers!
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
tequilla wrote: Ha-ha! they will gladly increase/introduce carry-on fees (like WOW already doing)
but lowering check-in fees? no way!

Cheers!
Most North American airlines do not have carry on fees yet (I don't know of any). It is common in Europe, especially for their low cost airlines.
I suspect the carry on fees will be coming here soon as it is the next logical revenue generator :)
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2733 posts
3964 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Most North American airlines do not have carry on fees yet (I don't know of any). It is common in Europe, especially for their low cost airlines.
I suspect the carry on fees will be coming here soon as it is the next logical revenue generator :)
Swoop and Flair (both ULCCs) have fees for carryon.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2016
1092 posts
402 upvotes
toronto
speedyforme wrote: Another reason not to travel in North America? Any credit cards that have free luggage?
prices are higher in Europe
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
13inches wrote: Swoop and Flair (both ULCCs) have fees for carryon.
There ya go.... Canadian discounters are already up and charging.
Holy crap! Flairs at the gate carry on bag fees are 105.00 – $115.00 https://flairair.ca/how-to-save/baggage/
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1804 posts
2843 upvotes
Canada, eh?
Pete_Coach wrote: There ya go.... Canadian discounters are already up and charging.
Holy crap! Flairs at the gate carry on bag fees are 105.00 – $115.00 https://flairair.ca/how-to-save/baggage/
With that price point in addition to the ticket cost it might be better to just buy a ticket from AC or WS. Low fare Canadian carrier's make no sense to me, TBH. Their fares aren't necessarily lower than their national counterparts, and their fees are so high it's absurd.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)