Expired Hot Deals

Air Canada

YMMV: Get a discount of up to 45% when you buy or gift Aeroplan points!

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2021 2:57 pm
[OP]
Nov 3, 2020
2 posts
2 upvotes

[Air Canada] YMMV: Get a discount of up to 45% when you buy or gift Aeroplan points!

Get up to a 45% discount on your purchase. Offer ends October 11, 2021.

Buy 2,000 - 9,000 points, receive a 30% discount
Buy 10,000 - 45,000 points, receive a 35% discount
Buy 50,000 - 100,000 points, receive a 40% discount
Buy 110,000+ points, receive a 45% discount

Images
  • Buy Aeroplan Points.png
  • 2000+.png
  • 10000+.png
  • 26000+.png
  • 50000+.png
  • 110000+.png
  • 260000+.png
23 replies
Nov 20, 2010
324 posts
469 upvotes
Thx for the share… Air Canada becoming insolvent or some sort lol
Jul 6, 2018
684 posts
1176 upvotes
kchkwan wrote: Thx for the share… Air Canada becoming insolvent or some sort lol
The government will always bail these guys out...but ya this is definitely strange timing.
Jan 10, 2017
89 posts
623 upvotes
GTA and GVA (Back an…
FYI, I'm getting buy points and get up to 80% bonus. It is targeted.
Images
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 10.48.16 PM.png
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1832 posts
2701 upvotes
West
I would say this has minimal worth for majority of people. Points just don't make sense at the current airfares to fly domestically, save for select routes to more remote locations. Perhaps international business would still be worth it for those that will need to travel anyway, or for those who may need a few points to top up to redemption levels, but that's pretty much it.

I suppose one could always hoard points for when travel does open up, but you run the risk of devaluations occurring, and tie up capital until who knows when at this rate.

For DP: also have up to 80% bonus.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2002
6410 posts
5985 upvotes
Vancouver
unimpressive wrote: FYI, I'm getting buy points and get up to 80% bonus. It is targeted.
I read this first as getting an 80% discount vs 45%... :)
With an 80% discount you could buy 350k points for $2100.. that would be amazing.

Ron.
Sep 29, 2021
1 posts
newfbc wrote:
I read this first as getting an 80% discount vs 45%... :)
With an 80% discount you could buy 350k points for $2100.. that would be amazing.

Ron.

80% bonus = 44.44% discount.
you can check the price of 350k pts with both offers and confirm.
Deal Addict
May 20, 2009
1420 posts
1000 upvotes
Mississauga
Just different wording, 80% bonus is very close to 45% 0ff...
PM $13/30 days, 250MB with unlimited incoming/30d
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
6172 posts
3549 upvotes
Ottawa
One question, can I buy pts then redeem some gift cards?
Buy Nice or Buy Twice.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2002
1944 posts
701 upvotes
Toronto
Also worth mentioning that if you have an Aeroplan branded TD Visa card, you may have received a promo for 10X the points on Air Canada purchases (eg. TD VIP earns 2X on AC, with this promo you get a total of 20X or 20,000 points on a $1000 purchase). Since they are issued by AC, these should be eligible? And to sweeten the deal even more, those with a Premium card (TD, CIBC or Amex) could use this purchase for the “Spend you way to Elite promo” where 10K in total purchases will earn you P25 status next year (or a bump to the next level if you already have status).
Celebrating 19+ years on RFD!
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2002
1944 posts
701 upvotes
Toronto
sonyHdr12 wrote: One question, can I buy pts then redeem some gift cards?
Redeeming Aeroplan points for GC or merchandise is not the best way to use your points. The best use for Aeroplan is on long haul business class travel, especially if you add multiple segments).
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1826 posts
750 upvotes
Calgary
wysiwyg wrote: Also worth mentioning that if you have an Aeroplan branded TD Visa card, you may have received a promo for 10X the points on Air Canada purchases (eg. TD VIP earns 2X on AC, with this promo you get a total of 20X or 20,000 points on a $1000 purchase). Since they are issued by AC, these should be eligible? And to sweeten the deal even more, those with a Premium card (TD, CIBC or Amex) could use this purchase for the “Spend you way to Elite promo” where 10K in total purchases will earn you P25 status next year (or a bump to the next level if you already have status).
They post from Points.com, so no. You just get what you paid for, plus the regular 1x on your TD credit card.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2002
1944 posts
701 upvotes
Toronto
Oh, that’s too bad, thanks for confirming!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
6172 posts
3549 upvotes
Ottawa
wysiwyg wrote: Redeeming Aeroplan points for GC or merchandise is not the best way to use your points. The best use for Aeroplan is on long haul business class travel, especially if you add multiple segments).
I don’t travel, I need 2000 pts more to redeem $100 gift card, just in case redeem pts before they are expired. Thanks
Buy Nice or Buy Twice.
May 10, 2021
25 posts
131 upvotes
Recently got an Aeroplan card (well an Amex Cobalt with MR i plan to convert to Aeroplan to travel from YUL to LAX with the kids).

Am i missing something ? Why is there such few hype on 45% off deal ? Seems super hot to me no ?
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1826 posts
750 upvotes
Calgary
ebpodeals wrote: Am i missing something ? Why is there such few hype on 45% off deal ? Seems super hot to me no ?
Partially because there was a similar promo, but with 100% extra points earlier in the year.
Partially because the best use case(longhaul business class) still isn't the easiest to execute right now(flight route cuts, quarantine requirements for certain countries).
Partially because people are mad at AC for taking forever to process their refunds.
Also because in order to get the 45% off, you need to spend $1800 to get that level of discount.
Oct 31, 2012
968 posts
1756 upvotes
Berczy Park
ebpodeals wrote: Recently got an Aeroplan card (well an Amex Cobalt with MR i plan to convert to Aeroplan to travel from YUL to LAX with the kids).

Am i missing something ? Why is there such few hype on 45% off deal ? Seems super hot to me no ?
Well, It's much cheaper to sign up for a few new credit cards spend the minimum $1000 within 3 months (in most cases) and rack up a low 6 figure amount of points. Also for many people who just want to do a simple round trip without adding many stopovers (or any at all) I find its not that easy to even hit 2ccp as you would a complex routing (or select distant cities). So many great deals are to be had in business class, economy and even first class pre-pandemic and currently.

But of course, free points are better than paying for them or flights Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes.
May 10, 2021
25 posts
131 upvotes
blind56 wrote: Partially because there was a similar promo, but with 100% extra points earlier in the year.
Partially because the best use case(longhaul business class) still isn't the easiest to execute right now(flight route cuts, quarantine requirements for certain countries).
Partially because people are mad at AC for taking forever to process their refunds.
Also because in order to get the 45% off, you need to spend $1800 to get that level of discount.
donttoewsmebro wrote: Well, It's much cheaper to sign up for a few new credit cards spend the minimum $1000 within 3 months (in most cases) and rack up a low 6 figure amount of points. Also for many people who just want to do a simple round trip without adding many stopovers (or any at all) I find its not that easy to even hit 2ccp as you would a complex routing (or select distant cities). So many great deals are to be had in business class, economy and even first class pre-pandemic and currently.

But of course, free points are better than paying for them or flights Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes.
Thanks !! I appreciate the answer ! Looks like I have more learning to do about Aeroplan :D
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2014
2078 posts
3172 upvotes
Atlantic
Buying Aeroplan points is one thing.

The issue is whether Air Canada will devalue such points in the future. Ie. It used to cost 22000 points for a one way trip somewhere in Canada, then changes to 44000 points required for the same trip somewhere down the line.

You are now locked into their loyalty program in which they can change the terms at any time.

I would rather buy something like an AC giftcard with a 10% discount @ Sobeys/Safeway this weekend. Still tied somewhat to AC but as least not as locked in as being in their loyalty program.
Apr 30, 2015
54 posts
54 upvotes
Nepean, ON
One word of caution:

Devaluation