Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Air Canada

YYZ -> Japan $540, YVR -> Japan $510 Non-stop (May 2021)

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2020 7:08 pm
Jr. Member
Nov 14, 2004
113 posts
21 upvotes
Relying on CC issuers to cover customers is a crapshoot. Various CC issuers are obstructing and in some cases outright refusing to initiate chargebacks, parroting the airlines use of force majeure, fair compensation, and other nonsense. Airlines are currently ignoring contract law, case law, and existing court decisions with respect to refunds, all with the tacit approval of the CTA and the current government. Simply put, buying from a Canadian airline in the current climate is grossly unwise, regardless of the low prices. Customers who are eligible are receiving better protections from the US DOT and EU than from our own Canadian air passenger protection system.
Banned
Feb 23, 2004
7940 posts
3539 upvotes
kenze wrote: None of us has a crystal ball to know what the situation will be like next year. Also, Japan's pandemic response has been a lot better than most countries.

Gotta compare apples to apples, this isn't a travel deal to the US or Brazil.
In speaking to someone currently living in Tokyo, the response there actually hasn’t been great. They have an increase in cases now.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/ ... iko-koike/
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7727 posts
6911 upvotes
y2imm wrote: Relying on CC issuers to cover customers is a crapshoot. Various CC issuers are obstructing and in some cases outright refusing to initiate chargebacks, parroting the airlines use of force majeure, fair compensation, and other nonsense. Airlines are currently ignoring contract law, case law, and existing court decisions with respect to refunds, all with the tacit approval of the CTA and the current government. Simply put, buying from a Canadian airline in the current climate is grossly unwise, regardless of the low prices. Customers who are eligible are receiving better protections from the US DOT and EU than from our own Canadian air passenger protection system.
cc will provide refunds/chargeback if a voucher is not provided or bankruptcy of vendor. They won't do chargeback if voucher is offered

US is no better for refunds either
Specifically, the Aviation Enforcement Office will refrain from pursuing an enforcement action against a carrier that provided passengers vouchers for future travel in lieu of refunds for cancelled or significantly delayed flights during the COVID-19 public health emergency
Only airlines offering refunds are those who got multi billion dollar cash infusions like LH, CX etc

Or just buy a refundable fare which most overseas flights are subject to certain penalties that range from like $300 to $0 and you can cancel for any reason and get a refund

That's what I did for two tickets in May on AC when I decided not to travel and got refund and just cancelled online
Member
Mar 11, 2018
425 posts
212 upvotes
So credit cards most likely will not cover for your losses in airfare when an airline goes bankrupt, but claims for compensation through TICO will be reimbursed? Where would TICO get enough money for all that?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7727 posts
6911 upvotes
MeatJuice wrote: So credit cards most likely will not cover for your losses in airfare when an airline goes bankrupt, but claims for compensation through TICO will be reimbursed? Where would TICO get enough money for all that?
Why would CC not cover bankruptcy as services not rendered and no voucher provided?
They've always refunded airfare when airlines went bankrupt like with Wow, Jetsgo and etc

Eg people got refunded from WOW bankruptcy

https://www.reddit.com/r/PersonalFinanc ... om_wow_air

People got refunded from Jetsgo Bankruptcy
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/jetsgo-p ... s-1.547973

Tico is backed by provincial govt

The Travel Industry Council of Ontario (TICO) is an organization mandated by the Ontario government to administer the Ontario Travel Industry Act, 2002 and Ontario Regulation 26/05 which governs all of the approximately 2,400 travel retailers and travel wholesalers registered in Ontario.
Member
Mar 11, 2018
425 posts
212 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: Why would CC not cover bankruptcy as services not rendered and no voucher provided?
They've always refunded airfare when airlines went bankrupt like with Wow, Jetsgo and etc

Eg people got refunded from WOW bankruptcy

https://www.reddit.com/r/PersonalFinanc ... om_wow_air

People got refunded from Jetsgo Bankruptcy
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/jetsgo-p ... s-1.547973

Tico is backed by provincial govt
But would a credit card company still have to honour refunds of an airline that goes down due to a pandemic that resulted in losses and insolvency to the airline?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7727 posts
6911 upvotes
MeatJuice wrote: But would a credit card company still have to honour refunds of an airline that goes down due to a pandemic that resulted in losses and insolvency to the airline?
Credit card companies provide refunds for services not rendered . Just like they always have for airlines and other businesses that have gone bankrupt countless times before for countless reasons

This is why people should always pay with their CC wherever possible for the protection. Add in TICO (or relevant Provincial equivalent) for additional reassurance

Top