Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Air Canada

YYZ -> Japan $540, YVR -> Japan $510 Non-stop (May 2021)

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2020 7:08 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7179 posts
3422 upvotes
Germany
badOne wrote: AC went bankrupt twice in its history. Once they see this pandemic wont end any time soon, and they see a lot of outstanding vouchers, there is a fair chance they will declare bankruptcy to extinguish the voucher and miles debt which is now over 1 billion dollars.
Yeah, AC’s financials have me nervous. I have a hundreds of thousands of unused Aeroplan points.
Sr. Member
Jan 13, 2013
781 posts
1076 upvotes
Saguenay, QC
Gonna give the same advice: do not give your money to Air Canada. My gf booked a local flight three weeks ago and it got cancelled due to covid a few days before the flight. Like covid was new lol? They should just not have allowed this flight in the first place but I guess that's just to show how much they need the money and can get away with anything.

We lended money for free to AC. When we tried to call, they simply hung up on the phone after we tried to argue a bit. They just tell you to contact them through their website which will lead you to a message telling you to not contact them about refund because they just don't do refunds. But they'll keep taking your money that's for sure. That kind of practice is simply illegal in Quebec. They absolutely don't give a [email protected]&.
Member
Nov 26, 2002
237 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
orditeck wrote: Gonna give the same advice: do not give your money to Air Canada. My gf booked a local flight three weeks ago and it got cancelled due to covid a few days before the flight. Like covid was new lol? They should just not have allowed this flight in the first place but I guess that's just to show how much they need the money and can get away with anything.

We lended money for free to AC. When we tried to call, they simply hung up on the phone after we tried to argue a bit. They just tell you to contact them through their website which will lead you to a message telling you to not contact them about refund because they just don't do refunds. But they'll keep taking your money that's for sure. That kind of practice is simply illegal in Quebec. They absolutely don't give a [email protected]&.

File a dispute with your credit card.
Sr. Member
Jan 13, 2013
781 posts
1076 upvotes
Saguenay, QC
superbpx wrote: File a dispute with your credit card.
That's exactly what I did when they hung up on me. Fingers crossed.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 31, 2009
799 posts
562 upvotes
Toronto
air canada is pretty sketchy right now, trying to get as much cash as they possibly can and beware if they cancel your flight, you also dont get a refund, and will get a voucher instead. They have been selling flights right now and canceling them but wont give refunds
Member
Nov 23, 2012
451 posts
369 upvotes
Brossard
We had a 2-stop flight from YUL to Saigon. The Narita to Saigon flight was cancelled and AC just basically said "find a flight for yourselves" from Narita to Saigon. Also, we won't refund *any* part of the trip. Yeah... so my I can't get to my final destination but that's *my* problem? MMMkay...

The vouchers? 2 year validity starting from date of purchase (Feb 2020). So... basically "one summer" worth of traveling window.

I will be giving the middlefinger from now on to AC.

For folks wondering about bankruptcy / bailout situation... I do not think the Federal gvt will let AC go to *true* bankruptcy, but you can pretty much kiss you deposits goodbye at that point.
Member
Nov 23, 2012
451 posts
369 upvotes
Brossard
cdfegab wrote: air canada is pretty sketchy right now, trying to get as much cash as they possibly can and beware if they cancel your flight, you also dont get a refund, and will get a voucher instead. They have been selling flights right now and canceling them but wont give refunds
Pretty much what has been said here...
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
1641 posts
2975 upvotes
Berczy Park
Longshot49 wrote: The vouchers? 2 year validity starting from date of purchase (Feb 2020). So... basically "one summer" worth of traveling window.
Not arguing your other points but the vouchers never expire and are transferable as well as retain value after one use. So it is basically a gift card.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/hom ... id-19.html
Deal Fanatic
Apr 18, 2010
5747 posts
1400 upvotes
Toronto
Oh wow good thing I read this thread. I came across this deal a few days ago and came close to purchasing.

F**k AC if they don't give refunds for cancelled trips.. I'd be absolutely pissed if they took my money like that.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 20, 2005
2734 posts
2077 upvotes
Air Canada, sorry, refund me first then I may think to give you my business.
Sr. Member
Jan 3, 2013
995 posts
3914 upvotes
Toronto
How do you guys feel about domestic Air Canada flights in mid/late August 2020?

I need to fly to Calgary from Toronto. Any reason to be worried it will be cancelled? If AC declared bankruptcy, do they immediately ground all planes?

EDIT: Just seen that post that they have a year’s worth of cash on hand. Thanks for that.
Last edited by Coolcicada on Jul 7th, 2020 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member
Nov 23, 2012
451 posts
369 upvotes
Brossard
donttoewsmebro wrote:
Not arguing your other points but the vouchers never expire and are transferable as well as retain value after one use. So it is basically a gift card.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/hom ... id-19.html
Yep - not gonna get into too many details but I have a long chain of email and the first "offers" was a 24-month travel credit from date of purchase. No retained value - one time use and no "refund" for unused portions. They will glady take your money if the flight is more money tho.

I think the "clean care" is their new "updated" COVID policy.

So basically... worse then giftcards when gvt finally put in no expiry dates.

Excerpt from email :
"Air Canada does offer 24 months credit for future travel. You could rebook the new travel day and the trip must be completed in 24 months based on the date of the ticket purchased."
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
1641 posts
2975 upvotes
Berczy Park
Longshot49 wrote: Yep - not gonna get into too many details but I have a long chain of email and the first "offers" was a 24-month travel credit from date of purchase. No retained value - one time use and no "refund" for unused portions. They will glady take your money if the flight is more money tho.

I think the "clean care" is their new "updated" COVID policy.

So basically... worse then giftcards when gvt finally put in no expiry dates.

Excerpt from email :
"Air Canada does offer 24 months credit for future travel. You could rebook the new travel day and the trip must be completed in 24 months based on the date of the ticket purchased."
Sorry to hear that they cant give you the same options that they offer people now.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2007
1831 posts
1068 upvotes
Toronto
A lot of people here are just thinking about the price but not looking at the bigger picture. That being said, all the best.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
1741 posts
538 upvotes
Edmonton
FrustratinglyFrugal wrote: Hundred Points Symbol...Air Canada is relaunching Aeroplan soon (was suppose to be Aug IIRC but now delayed due to Covid) so I could totally see them planning to devalue the points by 65% beforehand and then factoring into their Covid response
Dang, i am still sitting on 700K+ miles. We were going to make one final/3rd mRTW trip this summer and another family trip in Xmas. Now i am thinking of ways to cash out as mRTW trip will soon be a history.
Jr. Member
Sep 14, 2015
164 posts
110 upvotes
My flight attendant friend says that these deals are risks because AC can always change the rules or cancel your flight on you. Plus, you can't control government self-quarantine rules or travel restrictions.

They say if you can afford to lose the full price of what you paid for if it comes to it, then it's worth the gamble. If it'll pain you to lose the $540, don't do it.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
1641 posts
2975 upvotes
Berczy Park
uglyguy wrote: Dang, i am still sitting on 700K+ miles. We were going to make one final/3rd mRTW trip this summer and another family trip in Xmas. Now i am thinking of ways to cash out as mRTW trip will soon be a history.
Aeroplan has mentioned that the ability to add more than one stopover is coming back with Aeroplan 2.0 as they took away this ability in Sept 2019. So the mini-rtw will return albeit they may devalue the long haul awards and make certain regions more expensive.
Member
User avatar
Dec 15, 2011
285 posts
410 upvotes
Calgary
Booked a flight for $515.

Definitely taking a risk on a few things...

1) foreign nationals may still be barred from entering Japan next spring/summer or required to undergo a 14 day quarantine.
2) Air Canada doesn’t restart this route at all and it’s just a way to collect an interest free loan from Canadians with no intent to deliver the paid service... essentially a scam.
3) COVID gets even worse in 2021 and traveling between Japan and Canada is too high of a health risk even with lessened government regulations.

Acknowledging all the above, I still booked. The price and fact this is a direct flight is too good to pass on.

With the worst case scenario being to convert this ticket into a voucher, I (pre-covid) fly regularly for business domestically and will be able to redeem the voucher on other travel without too much issue. As a shareholder, I don’t mind giving AC a little more of my money either.

Top