• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2021 3:10 pm
[OP]
Mar 12, 2009
4 posts
3 upvotes
Sudbury

[Best Buy] Air Conditioner Clearout

Some decent looking air conditioners on sale. Some of them refurbished.

I haven't seen Costco's annual deals, but this is better than nothing so far.
Thread Summary
Filtered link using only Best Buy as the seller: 8 models available.
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/collection ... tBuyCanada
88 replies
Oct 24, 2009
928 posts
935 upvotes
Vancouver
Decent pricing but the problem with portable ACs is that most of them don’t work that great. Tried a few cheap ones and never cooled enough, splurged for the LG dual inverter model and no regrets. Quieter, cooler and more energy efficient. Depending on how much electricity costs in your area, probably costs less in the long term as well since it can turn down the inverter power.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/lg-ele ... 1001221502
Oct 20, 2019
407 posts
519 upvotes
Ottawa
Literally the same overpriced prices I've been seeing for the last week. Where's the clearance?
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
3639 posts
1794 upvotes
Ottawa
aouniat wrote: Literally the same overpriced prices I've been seeing for the last week. Where's the clearance?
It's a clearance of monies from your pocket sir
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6670 posts
2367 upvotes
Vancouver
Educate me. I need an AC in my room. Wife likes hot, I like cold so I am considering a portable AC in my room where I work. It's a 150sqf office so not much work. Do I have to change water or something? It can't be near a window which I believe most require to put the hose out.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
19298 posts
7447 upvotes
Toronto
dazz wrote: Educate me. I need an AC in my room. Wife likes hot, I like cold so I am considering a portable AC in my room where I work. It's a 150sqf office so not much work. Do I have to change water or something? It can't be near a window which I believe most require to put the hose out.
Yes you need a window to draw the hot air out of the room via the hose. You don't need to change water but may need to drain it.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2003
1895 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
absolutcamper wrote: Decent pricing but the problem with portable ACs is that most of them don’t work that great. Tried a few cheap ones and never cooled enough, splurged for the LG dual inverter model and no regrets. Quieter, cooler and more energy efficient. Depending on how much electricity costs in your area, probably costs less in the long term as well since it can turn down the inverter power.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/lg-ele ... 1001221502
Ugh don't even get me started. Ordered this from Home Depot. They cancelled my order twice. :(
Had to settle for a not as good dual hose danby from costco, lets see how it is.
I've heard that insulating the outlet hose helps improve the performance of the Unit so i'm going to try wrapping it in some insulation and seeing how far i get with that.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6670 posts
2367 upvotes
Vancouver
carmaster wrote: Yes you need a window to draw the hot air out of the room via the hose. You don't need to change water but may need to drain it.
My room is closed, I thought it can just use the warm air to cool it. Didn't know I have to have a hose pointing somewhere else. Sort of defeats the purpose of these portable ones if they need so much
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Aug 28, 2016
255 posts
445 upvotes
I wanna try the LG inverter AC units. They are the only ones that use DC motors. Super cool!0
Nov 29, 2012
117 posts
65 upvotes
TORONTO
All you need to know about these units (except DC motor info)

TLDR
Dual hose portable aint bad, traditional window unit for better price/performance ratio, single hose and portable the worst of all three types. All 3 work, but last one is usually loudest and most electricity intensive.
Last edited by slickenned on May 26th, 2021 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 27, 2016
326 posts
349 upvotes
m8x
I have a window A/C unit and one thing they never say up front is.....how loud they are !

You have to dig into the specs to find the dB value and the cheaper ones (not surprisingly) are much louder.

Try sleeping with a cheap unit on LOW and see how many ZZZ's you get !
Aug 28, 2016
255 posts
445 upvotes
echotango wrote: I have a window A/C unit and one thing they never say up front is.....how loud they are !

You have to dig into the specs to find the dB value and the cheaper ones (not surprisingly) are much louder.

Some people don’t mind the noise. Me baby and mother all sleep in same room at the moment and only thing we have is a 1940’s all metal fan thingy. It’s louder then a train, but we all sleep like a baby.
Jul 22, 2020
599 posts
83 upvotes
dazz wrote: My room is closed, I thought it can just use the warm air to cool it. Didn't know I have to have a hose pointing somewhere else. Sort of defeats the purpose of these portable ones if they need so much
I doubt it's more than a few cups of water if even that much. Why not just get a small container or bucket even and empty every so often when it's half or near full??
Nov 29, 2012
117 posts
65 upvotes
TORONTO
echotango wrote: I have a window A/C unit and one thing they never say up front is.....how loud they are !

Its not really how loud it is, its how intermittently loud they are. In that vid (skip to 9:13) i listed above when it talks about noise on a portable AC, when the fan is running its fine, but when the compressor kicks in its a suddenly louder sound. And for me having had a single hose unit before, its jarring if you're a medium to light sleeper. I got used to it sort of, but it probably reduced my quality of sleep overall because of it. Whereas with a normal window unit the compressor and stuff is outside and therefore not nearly as jarring or as intermittently loud inside the house.
Dec 1, 2003
542 posts
180 upvotes
Ottawa
These portable AC generally has been super loud in my experience(i.e. can't use in bedroom for sleeping at high speed) and not very efficient. Windows unit is better and more efficient.
Nov 27, 2016
326 posts
349 upvotes
m8x
Mike2258 wrote: Some people don’t mind the noise. Me baby and mother all sleep in same room at the moment and only thing we have is a 1940’s all metal fan thingy. It’s louder then a train, but we all sleep like a baby.
My coffee went up my noise with "it's louder than a train".

Thanks for my laugh of the day. :)
May 12, 2020
45 posts
19 upvotes
Any recommendations on a good AC, since the original post did not give me some Face With Tears Of Joy

EDIT: Watched the video, and removed "portable" haha
Last edited by walletunsafe on May 26th, 2021 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
1616 posts
959 upvotes
carmaster wrote: Yes you need a window to draw the hot air out of the room via the hose. You don't need to change water but may need to drain it.
If his wife likes it hot, he can just vent the hot air into her room.... Face With Tears Of Joy