• Last Updated:
  • Jun 8th, 2021 9:00 am
[OP]
Apr 7, 2007
193 posts
67 upvotes
ontario

Air fryer recommendation

Looking to get an air fryer good for a 4 person family, easy to clean. Would love if I can do two items at once... I.e. chicken and potatoes.

Any recommendations?
37 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20269 posts
5730 upvotes
GTA
tribute4 wrote: Looking to get an air fryer good for a 4 person family, easy to clean. Would love if I can do two items at once... I.e. chicken and potatoes.

Any recommendations?
None of them will be easy to clean. I've had a few types and they all have the same type of sludgy tacky oil layer, hot oil fumes does that, think of it like the oil catcher in the stove vent.

Currently I am using an Instant Pot with the airfryer accessory and this is the easiest to clean due to the stainless steel pot. However, the airfryer basket still gets coated with tacky oil which is a pain to clean.

I've heard that ceramic coated air fryer advertised in Ninja air fryers make cleaning easier but I have no experience.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27969 posts
13601 upvotes
Firstly, you do understand you're buying a convection oven with a different name right? An air fryer is not a replacement for a deep fryer. It will not produce deep fried results in any circumstances. But they do make amazing convection ovens.

As for easy to clean... I haven't met one and I've owned like 5. The Philips is the worse (and the stupidest in every other category).
The "toaster oven" type are also ridiculous. I've had one slowly leak grease onto the counter. Turns out my counter is also sloped and there's a giant pool behind it. I ended up putting a half sheet pan under it to catch the crap that drips out.
I just bought a Ninja Grill but I can already see the stupidity.

As for cooking two things, as long as those things fit side by side then sure. Multi level cooking is NOT a thing despite some units coming with dual layer trays. Anything below will cook FAR more slowly (or not at all) compared to the top thing. Also if you get too close to the element, you get hilariously uneven cooking. I've reheated fried chicken in there (which isn't uniformly flat) and the peaks were burnt while the valleys were anemic. So trying to cook potatoes under a chicken isn't going to work.

I have no good recommendations. I for some reason had high hopes for the LG450CCO because it had a thermometer built in, but it produced the most anemic steak I've ever eaten in my life. A grill it is not.
The plus side is that it's a "contained" unit with a drip tray so it shouldn't spew grease out below like the toaster oven models, but the lid id weird.
I've cooked only one thing so far so I can't speak for the long term cleaning and how nasty it gets.

My current working one is a Cuisinart. I love analog switches, dials, etc because it's easy to adjust temperatures. What I don't like is analog time controls due to inaccuracy.
I can estimate a time, but I can't replicate it exactly. The analog dials work FAR better than digital ones for stuff like temperature since I don't have to push a button 12 times or wait for the "smart" (ie dumb) functions to adjust properly.

I'm tempted to try out a Breville but $500 is a pretty big pill to swallow.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4593 upvotes
Montréal
I've used my Acti-fry for years and it's very easy to clean, because I just throw the parts into the dishwasher, so I personally don't have to manually clean them. The parts come out spotless.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
3109 posts
306 upvotes
Toronto, ON
tranquility922 wrote: I've used my Acti-fry for years and it's very easy to clean, because I just throw the parts into the dishwasher, so I personally don't have to manually clean them. The parts come out spotless.
Same with my ninja one
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
Jun 25, 2008
854 posts
748 upvotes
I got the Cosori 5.8QT during Black Friday specials on Amazon last year and I'm very happy with it. I like the square basket more than the round ones you see on other models. Works really well, and dishwasher safe (though the tacky oil is still a thing, it's pretty minor and limited to the outside of the interior basket in our experience). It's $170 right now (minus $10 coupon), but it often goes on sale at $145 and on BF it was even cheaper (I think $120?).

The one gotcha you'll see in the reviews is the screws of the handle can get loose. Since I was aware of it I check them every so often and I have had to tighten them once, though we use the air fryer 3-4 times a week easily. Slight design flaw but not a deal breaker imo.
Dec 6, 2012
442 posts
239 upvotes
Montréal, QC
coriolis wrote: None of them will be easy to clean. I've had a few types and they all have the same type of sludgy tacky oil layer, hot oil fumes does that, think of it like the oil catcher in the stove vent.
What? no, I have a t-fal actifry since the day it exists, it is very easy to clean, you can even just wipe it when it is still hot/warm with a paper towel. Maybe you put too much oil?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6838 posts
3811 upvotes
Mississauga
Wait, people actually put oil in an air fryer? I thought they were basically miniature convection ovens?
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1405 posts
973 upvotes
Vancouver
mrweather wrote: Wait, people actually put oil in an air fryer? I thought they were basically miniature convection ovens?
I coat most things with cooking spray or brush on some oil

Have owned several AirFryers and haven't found any difference between the more expensive & cheaper models.

Also on most, you can just put the removable drawer into the dishwasher, but the main unit has to be cleaned manually.
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
2241 posts
2224 upvotes
Langley
Magister wrote: What? no, I have a t-fal actifry since the day it exists, it is very easy to clean, you can even just wipe it when it is still hot/warm with a paper towel. Maybe you put too much oil?
actifry is bit different in design than most of air-flyers, including Philips.
most air fryers have heating coil on top of basket, all the grease raise to the top and gets caked on, impossible to clean due to heat coil in the way.
mrweather wrote: Wait, people actually put oil in an air fryer? I thought they were basically miniature convection ovens?
depending on what I cook but sometime, for like chicken, I use cooking oil spray bottle to spray light coat, makes it bit more crispy, i think....
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4593 upvotes
Montréal
Dreamrider wrote: actifry is bit different in design than most of air-flyers, including Philips.
most air fryers have heating coil on top of basket, all the grease raise to the top and gets caked on, impossible to clean due to heat coil in the way.
Seems like a better design then, unless Acti-fry has a patent preventing copying? W that mess, might as well get a conventional fryer haha.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
5103 posts
2010 upvotes
I have the Instant Pot Vortex Plus Air Fryer Oven - 10Qt ... love it! Use it once a week.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4635 posts
1275 upvotes
Chrispy wrote: Same with my ninja one
Me three. The Ninja's ceramic crisper tray washes easily in the sink or dishwasher. Same with the basket though I usually wash that by hand.
Depends on what you're cooking. I use a light spray of oil on vegetables or frozen foods like dumplings, spring rolls and samosas. Sometimes meats as well depending on what marinade I used.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2003
3410 posts
176 upvotes
The ninja is very easy to clean. 2 minutes hand washing.
The RFD Doctrine
Toronto : Anywhere west of Montreal and east of Calgary.
Scarborough: Anywhere becomes Scarborough if it's a thread about crime.
Google: RFD is faster than Google. Make a thread if you need to find out what bus to take.
Feb 5, 2017
126 posts
97 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Firstly, you do understand you're buying a convection oven with a different name right? An air fryer is not a replacement for a deep fryer. It will not produce deep fried results in any circumstances. But they do make amazing convection ovens.

As for easy to clean... I haven't met one and I've owned like 5. The Philips is the worse (and the stupidest in every other category).
The "toaster oven" type are also ridiculous. I've had one slowly leak grease onto the counter. Turns out my counter is also sloped and there's a giant pool behind it. I ended up putting a half sheet pan under it to catch the crap that drips out.
I just bought a Ninja Grill but I can already see the stupidity.

As for cooking two things, as long as those things fit side by side then sure. Multi level cooking is NOT a thing despite some units coming with dual layer trays. Anything below will cook FAR more slowly (or not at all) compared to the top thing. Also if you get too close to the element, you get hilariously uneven cooking. I've reheated fried chicken in there (which isn't uniformly flat) and the peaks were burnt while the valleys were anemic. So trying to cook potatoes under a chicken isn't going to work.

I have no good recommendations. I for some reason had high hopes for the LG450CCO because it had a thermometer built in, but it produced the most anemic steak I've ever eaten in my life. A grill it is not.
The plus side is that it's a "contained" unit with a drip tray so it shouldn't spew grease out below like the toaster oven models, but the lid id weird.
I've cooked only one thing so far so I can't speak for the long term cleaning and how nasty it gets.

My current working one is a Cuisinart. I love analog switches, dials, etc because it's easy to adjust temperatures. What I don't like is analog time controls due to inaccuracy.
I can estimate a time, but I can't replicate it exactly. The analog dials work FAR better than digital ones for stuff like temperature since I don't have to push a button 12 times or wait for the "smart" (ie dumb) functions to adjust properly.

I'm tempted to try out a Breville but $500 is a pretty big pill to swallow.
I know there is consensus that it’s just an overpriced convention oven BUT a dedicated air fryer like the philips is superior to a convection oven.

I have the philips AND the breville air fryer / oven. The cooking performance is far superior in the Phillips because I think the fan to cooking area is much stronger than a convection oven. The fan in an air fryer is essentially the same fan of a full size oven despite being infinitely smaller.

Even if you say it’s simply a convection oven... my convention oven breville with a higher/bigger fan than a typical toaster oven cannot compare to air fry performance the Breville air fryer oven.

Each has its pros and cons and we use both

Philips
- much better air frying
- HORRIBLE cleaning, not a fan of using the dishwasher for fragile items but it’s almost a must when cooking a rack of lamb in this (Korean kalbi marinade lamp chops from a rack of lamb is soo addictive, also use the marinate for cubed short ribs)
- cannot toast

Breville
- for very messy things or willing to sacrifice cooking quality
- stainless mesh basket
- can put stainless pan to catch drippings
- much, much bigger (can fit a jelly roll pan)
- but cleaning the sides is still a mess cause of the tacky oil residue
- mediocre air dry performance, it’s essentially a high powered convection oven
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
5103 posts
2010 upvotes
whmcpanel wrote: How is cleaning it?

Stainless components?

Is the rotating basket only useful for fries? Would you cook chicken wings on a perforated pan instead? It doesn’t seem like the pans are stainless
Simple to clean. Handwash.

Stainless Steel components ... non-stick trays.

Basket good for fries or wings or calamari. Trays good for pretty much anything.

Instantpot Vortex Plus 10 Quart - English User Manual

Care, cleaning and storage
Clean your Instant Vortex Plus and accessories after each use.
Always unplug the air fryer oven and let it cool to room temperature before cleaning.
Never use harsh chemical detergents, scouring pads, or powders on any of the parts
or components.
Let all surfaces dry thoroughly before use, and before storage.
Part or accessory Cleaning method and notes
Drip pan
Dishwasher safe.
• Remove for cleaning.
• To prevent smoking, make sure grease and food debris is fully removed.
• The drip pan has a non-stick coating. Avoid using metal utensils when cleaning.
Cooking trays Dishwasher safe.
• The cooking trays have a non-stick coating. Avoid using metal utensils when cleaning.
Rotisserie basket Dishwasher safe.
• For best results, use a bristled brush rather than a sponge or cloth.
Rotisserie spit,
forks and screws
Dishwasher safe.
• Disassemble before cleaning.
• If machine washing, place small parts in washable mesh bag.
Rotisserie lift Dishwasher safe.
• Clean as needed.
Removable door
Clean with a damp cloth and mild dish soap.
• Remove the door for cleaning. See Care, cleaning and storage: The oven door
(on the next page) for details.
• Allow the door to air dry completely before reinstalling, otherwise the glass may
experience clouding.
Cooking
chamber
Clean with a damp cloth and mild dish soap.
• Always check the heating coil and cooking chamber walls for oil spatter and food debris,
and clean as needed.
• Ensure the heating coil is dry before turning on the air fryer oven.
• To remove baked-on grease and food residue from the cooking chamber, spray with a
mixture of baking soda and vinegar and wipe clean with damp cloth. For stubborn stains,
allow the mixture to sit on the affected area for several minutes before scrubbing clean.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14313 posts
9082 upvotes
Markham
whmcpanel wrote: I know there is consensus that it’s just an overpriced convention oven BUT a dedicated air fryer like the philips is superior to a convection oven.

I have the philips AND the breville air fryer / oven. The cooking performance is far superior in the Phillips because I think the fan to cooking area is much stronger than a convection oven. The fan in an air fryer is essentially the same fan of a full size oven despite being infinitely smaller.

Even if you say it’s simply a convection oven... my convention oven breville with a higher/bigger fan than a typical toaster oven cannot compare to air fry performance the Breville air fryer oven.

Each has its pros and cons and we use both

Philips
- much better air frying
- HORRIBLE cleaning, not a fan of using the dishwasher for fragile items but it’s almost a must when cooking a rack of lamb in this (Korean kalbi marinade lamp chops from a rack of lamb is soo addictive, also use the marinate for cubed short ribs)
- cannot toast

Breville
- for very messy things or willing to sacrifice cooking quality
- stainless mesh basket
- can put stainless pan to catch drippings
- much, much bigger (can fit a jelly roll pan)
- but cleaning the sides is still a mess cause of the tacky oil residue
- mediocre air dry performance, it’s essentially a high powered convection oven
I do not have a true dedicated air fryer...but I also have the Breville Smart Oven Air. Very happy with it even though it isn't as good as those lower capacity air fryer. Almost any air fryer with larger capacity will not perform like those small units because there's just too much room in the "oven" for the fan and heating to be as effective.

I pretty much use the Breville appliance for all my baking needs unless I'm cooking for a larger group and I need full big oven space.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
11980 posts
1762 upvotes
Only have experience with Amazon cosori but our family loves having it around. My wife refused for years to buy one, but once we got it, it's used daily.
Sep 12, 2011
91 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
I have the T-Fal Digital Air Fryer and I've been really happy with it. You're not able to cook 2 things at once, but that hasnt been an issue for me. Id say its better suited for 3-4 people, not 6 people as advertised.
https://www.t-fal.ca/easy_fry_prestige_ ... steel.html
It's touchscreen, which makes the exterior easy to clean. Heats up quickly and goes up to 200C. It has preset temps, but I usually use it at max and just adjust time.
I hand wash the basket and tray in warm soapy water with a soft sponge or a dish brush. Never had any sticky residue issues. Then wipe the interior.
It says its dishwasher safe, but it takes 2 minutes by hand.

I don't recommend using PAM or the like as those can leave a sticky residue that will mess up the non-stick coating!
An oil mister is better, as it's pure oil.

I've been using mine for 5 months and its been great!
https://www.topcashback.com/ref/member927781724407
PAYS IN USD. No minimum payout amount. PayPal option.