Food & Drink

Air Fryer, Tips, Tricks, Recipes, Reviews...etc.

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 21st, 2022 8:06 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7486 posts
2553 upvotes

Air Fryer, Tips, Tricks, Recipes, Reviews...etc.

It seems the Air Fryer is very popular. I'm just getting to know mine, late to the game.

Very interested in what everyone is using them to cook. So far I've mostly just enjoyed my favourite frozen foods. Aquastar Salt and Pepper Calamari. I can crisp up 5 calamari, no full sized oven required. Frozen french fries.

Threw in a lobster to glaze with soy and ginger.

I'm starting to think about cooking eggs in it. "Jammy eggs", For summer Nicoise salads.
20 replies
May 27, 2022
8 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
I'd love to know how people are effectively using the air fryer function in ovens that now have this functionality. The documentation didn't prove very useful so I guess I might just have to experiment.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28642 posts
14186 upvotes
As long as you remember that an air fryer has absolutely zero resemblance to a deep fryer, you'll do well.
Think of them as a really good oven.

So making things from fresh that involve breading or batter is generally terrible. Anything that's been par cooked however is excellent.
Since they're very directional appliances, avoid anything with significant height differences. Anything tall will cook (and burn) faster than anything flat.

It's also amazing for reheating things because an oven is also amazing for reheating things. This is just a faster oven.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7486 posts
2553 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
It's also amazing for reheating things because an oven is also amazing for reheating things. This is just a faster oven.
That's exactly what I'm finding. It's a very fast oven but you have to watch carefully, because of the height difference. Browns things so quickly.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
3972 posts
2873 upvotes
how's this thing as a dehydrator for fruits and meat?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28642 posts
14186 upvotes
bonterra wrote:
That's exactly what I'm finding. It's a very fast oven but you have to watch carefully, because of the height difference. Browns things so quickly.
Burns pretty quick too.
It's very directional.
evilYoda wrote: how's this thing as a dehydrator for fruits and meat?
Eh. Some units have a dehydrate mode but generally speaking dehydrating needs air movement rather than heat. Even consumer dehydrators sometimes have too much heat.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
6226 posts
440 upvotes
Murica
Remember to use baking soda sparingly to help crisp potatoes.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2005
8344 posts
643 upvotes
Toronto
Remember to CLEAN the heating coils of your air fryer..you'll be surprised HOW MUCH burnt stuff is there...
Heat 43-0-0
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6055 posts
5288 upvotes
I'm pretty new to it to - my sister gave me her small one - basically you plug it in and turn the dial to set the time (can't set the temperature). I've used it to make homemade coconut shrimp, battered fish, fries, falafals, as well as frozen items (mostly spring rolls and hashbrown)...oh I also used it to make seasoned chickpeas. I haven't used my actifry since I got the air fryer. Never thought about using it for eggs...but yeah I guess placing a dish in there to make fritatta or quiche should work...I can't see any other way to make eggs in there. I also used it to make apple crumble once but it didn't turn out good.
evilYoda wrote: how's this thing as a dehydrator for fruits and meat?
dehydration needs low heat for long periods of time - I'm pretty sure air fryers aren't meant for dehydration...at least mine isn't.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20583 posts
6034 upvotes
GTA
I have a Instant Pot with their Crisper lid, which is basically a coil with a metal fan.

Works really well with chicken, especially thighs and wings. Pork and Beef gets overcooked easily, but breading it helps. Having the stainless steel pot as a base for the Instant Pot version allows me to collect fat. I have multiple jars of dry marinated chicken fat and pork fat in the fridge.

Prepared frozen fried foods also excel in it, it gets dangerous haha. Frozen fries, breaded chicken, spring rolls are excellent. If I had a M&M around me, I'd be in danger.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3763 posts
561 upvotes
Leuven
Does anyone have experience with both the basket style and the oven style air fryers? Seems like the basket style is the most popular so curious if people have thoughts on the two. Oven style seems appealing as the rotisserie seems good for things like fries (and potentially chickens etc if you wanted) and the trays would give a bit more cooking room as well.
Banned
Mar 14, 2022
392 posts
388 upvotes
Outer GTA
BongoBong wrote: Does anyone have experience with both the basket style and the oven style air fryers? Seems like the basket style is the most popular so curious if people have thoughts on the two. Oven style seems appealing as the rotisserie seems good for things like fries (and potentially chickens etc if you wanted) and the trays would give a bit more cooking room as well.
We borrowed a basket to try. Bought a countertop toaster oven style, and then bought a range with air fry when we replaced that appliance.

No huge difference between basket and toaster oven style IMO. A little more capacity in our particular oven. Also like that it doubles as a toaster - takes away from having 83 different small kitchen appliances.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1386 posts
885 upvotes
Ripley
coriolis wrote: I have a Instant Pot with their Crisper lid, which is basically a coil with a metal fan.

Works really well with chicken, especially thighs and wings. Pork and Beef gets overcooked easily, but breading it helps. Having the stainless steel pot as a base for the Instant Pot version allows me to collect fat. I have multiple jars of dry marinated chicken fat and pork fat in the fridge.

Prepared frozen fried foods also excel in it, it gets dangerous haha. Frozen fries, breaded chicken, spring rolls are excellent. If I had a M&M around me, I'd be in danger.
I have this one too. I've really only made fried type foods like frozen chicken strips, eggs rolls, fries, etc. Warmed up Domino's pizza is the best! 4 minutes in the air fryer. I use the pressure cooker part once a week for hard boiled eggs. Game changer!
Aug 23, 2014
415 posts
201 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I’ve used mine to make prime rib - it turned out great! I have the instant pot vortex plus (oven style) with a rotisseie.

99% of the time though I just use it for reheating fried food - food tastes better than when reheated in a toaster oven.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7486 posts
2553 upvotes
The Kalorik 4.5 quart model is on sale at WalMart online only for $48.88 regular $99.88.

I have the Kalorik 3.2 quart that was on rollback for $59.88 from $79.88 and love it.

Have pretty much used it daily since I bought it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7486 posts
2553 upvotes
This sounds good for the posters who have been looking to add flavour or fruit to their oatmeal.

https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/79660 ... er-apples/

Different idea. I've heard pineapple is also delicious "grilled" in an air fryer. I reheated scalloped potatoes in mine last evening. So good, the edges got all crunchy. And leftover ribs after they've been cut up into individual ribs, the bbq sauce recaramelizes and also gets crunchy bits. Kind of like burnt ends.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
3972 posts
2873 upvotes
why dont you just eat the oatmeal as is, without the sugar or anything? It's like 5-6 scoops.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7486 posts
2553 upvotes
evilYoda wrote: why dont you just eat the oatmeal as is, without the sugar or anything? It's like 5-6 scoops.
Lol!! I don't eat oatmeal but someone started a thread about flavouring it with fruit etc.. I was too lazy to look for that thread.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16910 posts
11632 upvotes
Markham
bonterra wrote: This sounds good for the posters who have been looking to add flavour or fruit to their oatmeal.

https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/79660 ... er-apples/

Different idea. I've heard pineapple is also delicious "grilled" in an air fryer. I reheated scalloped potatoes in mine last evening. So good, the edges got all crunchy. And leftover ribs after they've been cut up into individual ribs, the bbq sauce recaramelizes and also gets crunchy bits. Kind of like burnt ends.
You can a/f bananas as well.

https://lifehacker.com/you-should-defin ... 1849071675
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5286 posts
1466 upvotes
I really improved my cooking skills during the pandemic. I have a Cuisinart multi purpose machine. It can toast, bake, air fry, and broil. I love it! Comes with fry basket tray, and standard baking pan.

My tips on air frying:
-First understand what deep frying is. It is a dehydration process. Oil "push" water out, making it dry. This makes the food crispy. Meanwhile the heat cooks the food. Depending on what you cook, you may want to add a batter. because some foods don't get crispy without batter. Chicken wings is a good example. Even without batter, wings can get a bit crispy.

-Understanding moisture is important to frying in general, including air frying. If your food is soaking wet, then you're getting a steaming effect rather than a frying effect. When seasoning air fried food, I recommend a dry marinade. If using wet marinade, you don't want it too wet. And it'd help a lot for a wet marinade if you have some batter such as corn starch. The wet marinade stay "locked in" with the food.

-When marinating, if you want the food more dry, you can put it in the fridge, UNCOVERED. Fridge is a dry environment and will suck out moisture. If you're using wet marinade

-Chicken wings are my favourite things to air fry. It's really simple and hard to screw up. My recipe is simple. Add wings to a bowl and mix with seasoning such as salt, paprika, a little sugar, pepper. Mix. Then coat with some corn starch. Then you also need some oil. Wings are nice in that there are naturally some oil in the chicken that will come out as you heat it. But I find that the batter really needs some oil. I have an oil spray bottle but I find that using my hands to mix in the same mixing bowl works well.

-The other thing I like to air fry is pop-corn chicken. Use chicken thighs and cut them into pop corn size pieces. Then season with salt, pepper, soy sauce, a little sugar and I like some cumin and Chinese 5 spice. I mix it all in a bowl. Let them sit in the fridge for a bit to season. Then I add some oil and air fry. Turns out pretty good every time without the guilt of using a lot of oil. For pop corn chicken, use sweet potato starch instead of corn starch. Some recipes call for mixing corn starch + sweet potato starch. You can give it a try. I find the texture most resemble the restaurants if I use all sweet potato starch.

-If you are too lazy to coat anything in batter or even season, then I recommend air frying carrots. I love carrots. I know a lot of people don't...carrots are great for air frying. One tip I have is to try to get the carrots into even sizes. This ensures they cook evenly. So if you bought the big carrots, one end will be thicker than the other. You just need to use some knife skills so you get even pieces. And of course, peel them first. You can season with simple salt and pepper. I like to add a honey glaze to my carrots towards the end after air frying. The sugar gets caramelized and tastes really nice. Just be careful not to burn it. You WILL burn it if the temperature is too high.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)