Food & Drink

Air Fryer, Tips, Tricks, Recipes, Reviews...etc.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 23rd, 2022 7:27 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7564 posts
2691 upvotes
BananaHunter wrote:

-If you are too lazy to coat anything in batter or even season, then I recommend air frying carrots. I love carrots. I know a lot of people don't...carrots are great for air frying. One tip I have is to try to get the carrots into even sizes. This ensures they cook evenly. So if you bought the big carrots, one end will be thicker than the other. You just need to use some knife skills so you get even pieces. And of course, peel them first. You can season with simple salt and pepper. I like to add a honey glaze to my carrots towards the end after air frying. The sugar gets caramelized and tastes really nice. Just be careful not to burn it. You WILL burn it if the temperature is too high.
And popcorn shrimp. I made a big bowl the other evening, they were devoured in seconds.

Those carrots sound like how I've been trying (without success really) to caramelize my carrots. I'm going to try your method with maple sugar or syrup and parsley. Thanks!!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7564 posts
2691 upvotes
Outdoor double basket air fryer. Griddle and warming drawer. At WalMart.
Images
  • 20220705_172212.jpg
  • 20220705_172223.jpg
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
13474 posts
2727 upvotes
Vancouver
BananaHunter wrote: I really improved my cooking skills during the pandemic. I have a Cuisinart multi purpose machine. It can toast, bake, air fry, and broil. I love it! Comes with fry basket tray, and standard baking pan.

My tips on air frying:
-First understand what deep frying is. It is a dehydration process. Oil "push" water out, making it dry. This makes the food crispy. Meanwhile the heat cooks the food. Depending on what you cook, you may want to add a batter. because some foods don't get crispy without batter. Chicken wings is a good example. Even without batter, wings can get a bit crispy.

-Understanding moisture is important to frying in general, including air frying. If your food is soaking wet, then you're getting a steaming effect rather than a frying effect. When seasoning air fried food, I recommend a dry marinade. If using wet marinade, you don't want it too wet. And it'd help a lot for a wet marinade if you have some batter such as corn starch. The wet marinade stay "locked in" with the food.

-When marinating, if you want the food more dry, you can put it in the fridge, UNCOVERED. Fridge is a dry environment and will suck out moisture. If you're using wet marinade

-Chicken wings are my favourite things to air fry. It's really simple and hard to screw up. My recipe is simple. Add wings to a bowl and mix with seasoning such as salt, paprika, a little sugar, pepper. Mix. Then coat with some corn starch. Then you also need some oil. Wings are nice in that there are naturally some oil in the chicken that will come out as you heat it. But I find that the batter really needs some oil. I have an oil spray bottle but I find that using my hands to mix in the same mixing bowl works well.

-The other thing I like to air fry is pop-corn chicken. Use chicken thighs and cut them into pop corn size pieces. Then season with salt, pepper, soy sauce, a little sugar and I like some cumin and Chinese 5 spice. I mix it all in a bowl. Let them sit in the fridge for a bit to season. Then I add some oil and air fry. Turns out pretty good every time without the guilt of using a lot of oil. For pop corn chicken, use sweet potato starch instead of corn starch. Some recipes call for mixing corn starch + sweet potato starch. You can give it a try. I find the texture most resemble the restaurants if I use all sweet potato starch.

-If you are too lazy to coat anything in batter or even season, then I recommend air frying carrots. I love carrots. I know a lot of people don't...carrots are great for air frying. One tip I have is to try to get the carrots into even sizes. This ensures they cook evenly. So if you bought the big carrots, one end will be thicker than the other. You just need to use some knife skills so you get even pieces. And of course, peel them first. You can season with simple salt and pepper. I like to add a honey glaze to my carrots towards the end after air frying. The sugar gets caramelized and tastes really nice. Just be careful not to burn it. You WILL burn it if the temperature is too high.
I have been really curious to try chicken wings! Thanks for the recipe. How long and what temperature?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5362 posts
1608 upvotes
trellaine201 wrote: I have been really curious to try chicken wings! Thanks for the recipe. How long and what temperature?
I checked my recipe book. I wrote 375-400F. The time depends on the size of the wings. I'd say no longer than 20 minutes or they might start to burn. When in doubt, go lower temperature and cook for longer time to ensure it's cooked through. There are several types of "wings". Drumlettes and mid-wings are great for air frying. I personally don't buy them with the wing tips because they cook rather fast and will burn up while the other parts are cooking. My favourite by far are what's called "mid-wing" that don't have the tips or the drumlettes. I recommend you cook only 1 type of wing and of similar sizes so it cooks evenly.

Oh and I forgot to mention. If you like saucy wings, you can go light on the initial seasoning and follow my air frying steps. Towards the last minutes of the air frying, you can start making a pan sauce. I love the Korean chili sauce. Easy to make. Sweat some garlic in the pan with some oil. Add gochujang (korean chili paste), soy sauce, a little sugar, mirin. Adjust to taste. Toss in the air fried wings and mix to coat. Using a pan sauce finish means you don't need to use as much marinade to begin with in the first step.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17557 posts
12287 upvotes
Markham
bonterra wrote: Outdoor double basket air fryer. Griddle and warming drawer. At WalMart.
Blackstone is beginning to look like the "Ronco" of big outdoor appliances.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Aug 8, 2006
199 posts
68 upvotes
Halifax
Air fry pepperoni slices (Maritime style Brothers/Chris Brothers/2boys/etc) at 380 for about 8 minutes, shake half way. Serve with honey mustard (I recommend Lynch's). Thinner style pepperoni would take less time.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6455 posts
821 upvotes
BC
I'm a beginner too, havent really used it for much yet. I bought some frozen yam fries at costco, they cook up really nice. Did some crispy panko coated oysters which I will do again.

I hear people say all the time, we use the air fryer every day! I dont know what they can be eating, I dont see it as something I would ever use daily.. but definitely am interested in other things to make in it.
That's my 2cents worth
Aug 23, 2014
436 posts
214 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Keelie wrote: I'm a beginner too, havent really used it for much yet. I bought some frozen yam fries at costco, they cook up really nice. Did some crispy panko coated oysters which I will do again.

I hear people say all the time, we use the air fryer every day! I dont know what they can be eating, I dont see it as something I would ever use daily.. but definitely am interested in other things to make in it.
I use it a few times a week - most of the time for reheating leftover fried food. Fries, fried chicken, spring rolls - tastes better reheated in an air fryer than in an oven toaster. I don’t throw away leftover fries anymore, lol.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
11920 posts
4688 upvotes
Keelie wrote: I'm a beginner too, havent really used it for much yet. I bought some frozen yam fries at costco, they cook up really nice. Did some crispy panko coated oysters which I will do again.

Use our Cosori almost every day now - it's used more than the toaster.

Potatos, fries, chicken, pizza, grilled sandwiches, vegetables (corn and asparagus especially), frozen foods, reheating leftovers. It's amazing.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3775 posts
583 upvotes
Leuven
kool1 wrote: Use our Cosori almost every day now - it's used more than the toaster.
grilled sandwiches
How do you do your sandwiches in it? Put it all together and put the whole thing in?
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
11920 posts
4688 upvotes
BongoBong wrote: How do you do your sandwiches in it? Put it all together and put the whole thing in?
Yes - flip 1/2 way through
Dec 3, 2019
476 posts
444 upvotes
Ontario
FRENCH FRIES tip

Soak cut french fries in water for an hour before air frying them. (I think it's called blanching)
Then towel dry.

Big difference in taste, the outside gets more crispy and inside doesn't dry out.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12088 posts
7138 upvotes
I just bought an air fryer during Prime Day & we have used it exactly 1X. Made some frozen fries & they dried up like wood chips. I expect they would be better with less time & also if they were tossed in oil a bit 1st. Will try again but disappointed at 1st take.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
4724 posts
3486 upvotes
lecale wrote: I just bought an air fryer during Prime Day & we have used it exactly 1X. Made some frozen fries & they dried up like wood chips. I expect they would be better with less time & also if they were tossed in oil a bit 1st. Will try again but disappointed at 1st take.
that is because you didnt know that the temperature stated on the french fries package ISNT the same one you input into the air fryer. Lower it by 50F-75F. So if it says 425F what it actually needs is 350-375F (you have to test which setting is best).

This is standard for air fryers.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12088 posts
7138 upvotes
evilYoda wrote: that is because you didnt know that the temperature stated on the french fries package ISNT the same one you input into the air fryer. Lower it by 50F-75F. So if it says 425F what it actually needs is 350-375F (you have to test which setting is best).

This is standard for air fryers.
I went by the temps in the manual for frozen fries which suggested 350, but the time was long (I tried to do shoestrings for 22 mins lol).

Is there a magic formula for converting bag/box directions to air fryer directions (e.g., subtract 50F + 5 minutes)?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
4724 posts
3486 upvotes
the websites all say -50F and reduce the time by a bit. It'll be trial and error, since not all air fryers are the same capacity, and not all have the same wattage, and some have the heating element way closer to the food than a larger (higher capacity machine).

You can take out the food while it is cooking to check it
Dec 3, 2019
476 posts
444 upvotes
Ontario
lecale wrote: I just bought an air fryer during Prime Day & we have used it exactly 1X. Made some frozen fries & they dried up like wood chips. I expect they would be better with less time & also if they were tossed in oil a bit 1st. Will try again but disappointed at 1st take.
Freezing is not good as the moisture in the fries breaks down the molecules.

Once cut, soak the fries in water and they keep in the fridge for a week.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4709 posts
2762 upvotes
Milton, ON.
buysellbuy wrote: Freezing is not good as the moisture in the fries breaks down the molecules.

Once cut, soak the fries in water and they keep in the fridge for a week.
False for air fryers.

Make sure to use Russet potato.
Soak in water to remove the starch (this will make them crispy)
Toss in oil and season with whatever you like.
Place on a tray and into the freezer.
Air fry as you would any frozen fry.
The taste and texture is much much better than air frying from raw.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17557 posts
12287 upvotes
Markham
lecale wrote: I went by the temps in the manual for frozen fries which suggested 350, but the time was long (I tried to do shoestrings for 22 mins lol).

Is there a magic formula for converting bag/box directions to air fryer directions (e.g., subtract 50F + 5 minutes)?
Air Fryer is like a super convection
> for time, reduce it by 25% but I'd check it at around halfway. [in your case, check it at 11 min but probably aim for like 16 min]
> for temp, reduce it by around 25F. So if it says 400F, go with 350F.

Air fryer is speed saver, use it anytime you'd use an oven and you'll find it's great as it's faster.

There is a learning curve to using this appliance IMO. Checking things early would not be a mistake as you learn to use it. Overcooking is your "no turning back".
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)