Food & Drink

Air Fryer, Tips, Tricks, Recipes, Reviews...etc.

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 23rd, 2022 7:27 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7560 posts
2683 upvotes
I start everything at 370, watch like a hawk by pulling the basket out and shaking or turning over every 5 minutes or so, then lower temperature if they're browning too much. I've never cooked any frozen product in them for more than 12 minutes.

Deli potato wedges, not frozen, take 3 or 4 minutes to be hot and crispy.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12062 posts
7117 upvotes
bonterra wrote: I start everything at 370, watch like a hawk by pulling the basket out and shaking or turning over every 5 minutes or so, then lower temperature if they're browning too much. I've never cooked any frozen product in them for more than 12 minutes.

Deli potato wedges, not frozen, take 3 or 4 minutes to be hot and crispy.
Mine says to preheat the empty bucket for 3 minutes - do you bother?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7560 posts
2683 upvotes
lecale wrote: Mine says to preheat the empty bucket for 3 minutes - do you bother?
Nope. Have never done that. But I never read instructions for appliances.

I don't usually preheat my regular oven either. Except for baking where you need a precise time.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6404 posts
5785 upvotes
buysellbuy wrote: FRENCH FRIES tip

Soak cut french fries in water for an hour before air frying them. (I think it's called blanching)
Then towel dry.

Big difference in taste, the outside gets more crispy and inside doesn't dry out.
Blanching is putting item in boiling water and removing it after a minute or so and then putting in ice water. What you describe is just called soaking lol
lecale wrote: I just bought an air fryer during Prime Day & we have used it exactly 1X. Made some frozen fries & they dried up like wood chips. I expect they would be better with less time & also if they were tossed in oil a bit 1st. Will try again but disappointed at 1st take.
You need half the time for air fryers. I can't control the temperature for mine so I just take a peek after a few minutes to shake/flip items.
lecale wrote: Mine says to preheat the empty bucket for 3 minutes - do you bother?
Mine says 5mins and I used to but stopped doing that and find it cooks just the same.
Newbie
User avatar
May 23, 2022
11 posts
7 upvotes
Scarborough
Just purchased a Ninja Foodie Air Fryer, makes good fried chicken, but other than that, not that impressed.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
1078 posts
1043 upvotes
Toronto
Just air fried some drumsticks. The skin didn't turn out to be as crispy as I wanted compared to the wings I had last week

Any tips. Should I have increased the temp? Or brushed oil?
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12062 posts
7117 upvotes
Par-cook the skin by pouring boiling water over each leg? Pat dry & go.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12599 posts
6661 upvotes
Thorkell wrote: Just air fried some drumsticks. The skin didn't turn out to be as crispy as I wanted compared to the wings I had last week

Any tips. Should I have increased the temp? Or brushed oil?
What temp? How much was in the basket?
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
1078 posts
1043 upvotes
Toronto
Gutty96 wrote: What temp? How much was in the basket?
I think it was 390 at 20 minutes.

I put 10 drums in the basket

Kalorik maxxx
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12599 posts
6661 upvotes
Thorkell wrote: I think it was 390 at 20 minutes.

I put 10 drums in the basket

Kalorik maxxx
Temp seems fine. 10 drums seems a lot. Try smaller quantities in the basket.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7560 posts
2683 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: Temp seems fine. 10 drums seems a lot. Try smaller quantities in the basket.
Yes, if there is too much volume in the basket it's like any form of frying, it'll stew instead of crisping.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7560 posts
2683 upvotes
Looks like the Gourmia air fryer is on sale for $59.99 again at Costco, down from $79.99.

Top