Food & Drink

Air Fryer - worth it ? Best form factor ?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2020 5:39 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2009
3456 posts
806 upvotes
Toronto

Air Fryer - worth it ? Best form factor ?

So I have been thinking about getting an air fryer for awhile now. I probably dont need one but FOMO is creeping in when I see all the posts on here about how people love them and use them a lot.

So I would love more of people's opinions on these things and also would love to know if different versions of these work just as well.

My thoughts are to get a toaster oven that has an air fryer feature so that it could replace the toaster over I already have and then wouldnt take up anymore counter space. But I dont know if these versions work as well as the standalone versions. Plus not sure if it would be worth paying more for one like that since the toaster over I have works perfectly fine.

I currently have an order at Best Buy for the Insignia one that is on sale and is on backorder - https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/13785659

I also have a raincheck at Costco for the Ninja fryer that is on sale - https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Ninja-Air- ... CSSYNEWYRT

Any thoughts on this Black and Decker Toaster Oven that is on sale at Canadian Tire - https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/blac ... and+decker

Reviews on the Black and Decker seem generally positive.

And with black Friday coming up - should I hold off and see what options come up then ?

TIA !
18 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12578 posts
7311 upvotes
Markham
If you have the space and you can afford it...Breville Smart Oven Air. Large capacity - can replace your regular oven for most meals. Also excellent for keeping food warm, proofing bread, air frying and even dehydrating.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4265 posts
1508 upvotes
WFH
pumpkinpies wrote: I also have a raincheck at Costco for the Ninja fryer that is on sale
Oh, how does that work? I went in to pick one up on Monday and was pissed to find they had'nt had any stock! I didn't even realise rainchecks at Costco were a thing.
Mar 22, 2020
382 posts
247 upvotes
I was on the fence about an air fryer. Last year I bought a cheap one - 50$ on sale - on Black Friday.

So worth it - Aloo Tikki, Wings, French Fries - super easy, less oil, quick, little clean up
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2113 posts
515 upvotes
In Hiding
I have the Insignia from Bestbuy and am happy with it. I use it for heating up all fried food, and cooking fish, chicken, hamburger patties, toasted sandwiches, pizza pops, fries.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2009
3456 posts
806 upvotes
Toronto
dirtmover wrote: Oh, how does that work? I went in to pick one up on Monday and was pissed to find they had'nt had any stock! I didn't even realise rainchecks at Costco were a thing.
I asked at the cashier and they can do them for you there if they are prepared for it. My cashier had to ask a manager and they pulled me to the side, scanned my card and gave me a raincheck slip. They also took my name and number and said i would get a call when it was in stock.

apparently they dont do them for all items but they were for this particular one.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2009
3456 posts
806 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote: If you have the space and you can afford it...Breville Smart Oven Air. Large capacity - can replace your regular oven for most meals. Also excellent for keeping food warm, proofing bread, air frying and even dehydrating.
wow $600 ! it looks great but not looking to spend that much - do these ever go on sale ?
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2017
1049 posts
561 upvotes
Manitoba
Have one for 2 years already. Worth it specially during winter time where BBQ is not an option. Quick clean up, set and forget kind of thing.
one more deal and I'm out * involuntary tick*.... :twisted:
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12578 posts
7311 upvotes
Markham
pumpkinpies wrote: wow $600 ! it looks great but not looking to spend that much - do these ever go on sale ?
It was $384 +tx [under $450 after tax] when I bought it [May 2020] at Bed Bay and Beyond a 20% off coupon.

Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3965 posts
1843 upvotes
Mississauga
gr8dlr wrote: If you have the space and you can afford it...Breville Smart Oven Air. Large capacity - can replace your regular oven for most meals. Also excellent for keeping food warm, proofing bread, air frying and even dehydrating.
Fully agree here. Spend the money once and wise.
Your typical units are small and you cannot really use it to cook for the family or even more than one thing at a time in most cases.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20069 posts
5459 upvotes
Good Morning
I had a Philips Airfryer since 2016, I finally replaced it a few weeks ago with an Instant Pot with crisper lid.

I was looking at the oven style air fryers or the grill/air fryer type but really wanted a pressure cooker as well.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2009
3456 posts
806 upvotes
Toronto
do you know how the ninja foodi air fry oven would compare to the breville - https://www.amazon.ca/Ninja-Digital-Con ... GK5D92KXAP
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2009
3456 posts
806 upvotes
Toronto
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Compare how?
An air fryer is a typical unitasker. WIth the Breville, you can do exactly what an airfryer can do, plus lots lots more. Also it will do so... quitely.
the foodi air fry oven isnt just an air fryer - it is a multitasker like the breville. was just wondering if anyone knew how the ninja one would compare to the breville.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20069 posts
5459 upvotes
Good Morning
pumpkinpies wrote: the foodi air fry oven isnt just an air fryer - it is a multitasker like the breville. was just wondering if anyone knew how the ninja one would compare to the breville.
My biggest concern with the oven style convection oven is the 'seal' between the door and the frame. With a typical air fryer, the seal tends to be more secure and there is less loss of heat due to the air gap and the glass. As well, the size and air movement of the fan.

I had a Philips Airfryer which was very good at what it does. Lots of good airflow and can quickly crisp/cook due to the large fan and the patented grooves at the bottom of the airfrying chamber.

I bought a Cusinart Air Fryer convection oven and it was slow to heat up, cook and crisp. I believe there was too much heat loss and/or weak air movement. However, it was quiet and had other features, like rotisserie, bake, etc. I returned it as it was not what I was looking for (an air fryer replacement, other features were nice to have but I felt it weakened the whole air fryer part).

Next, I purchased the Instant Pot crisper and pressure cooker. Like the air fryer oven, this is a multitasker. I found the air fryer fan and heating element much larger and cooked/crisped faster, and quieter. However, the trade off was similar to the oven, the airflow was not really ideal either, as the cooking chamber is just a pot with a basket. There was no easy way to 'shuffle' the food around in the basket without a spatula, whereas an airfryer basket you can just 'toss'. However, the seal was much more secure (even without a locking system) and maintained the temperature quicker and more efficiently. With that, comes with its problem. The large air crisper lid is large and you have to remove and place it on the provided lid holder. Still, I find it working well enough and the pressure cooker is nice to use as well.

Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12578 posts
7311 upvotes
Markham
pumpkinpies wrote: do you know how the ninja foodi air fry oven would compare to the breville - https://www.amazon.ca/Ninja-Digital-Con ... GK5D92KXAP
This is a new item for Ninja and I didn't know about it till now. Right off the bat from what I can see...the interior height [someone commented a 2" deep pan is the biggest it can accomodate] is a huge problem. It severely limits the "oven" part of the equation and for me that is absolutely definite No zone.

Breville: I can put my 6qt dutch oven in mine for baking bread, roasting chickens and roasting prime rib.

That flip up to store and clean is stupidity to me as well. Bigger appliances like this are sit and stay type appliances like the microwave. Flip up to store is not required. Yes it may be functional but I find juggling an appliance like this is just gonna cause a loose connection somewhere sometime.

[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2009
3456 posts
806 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote: This is a new item for Ninja and I didn't know about it till now. Right off the bat from what I can see...the interior height [someone commented a 2" deep pan is the biggest it can accomodate] is a huge problem. It severely limits the "oven" part of the equation and for me that is absolutely definite No zone.

Breville: I can put my 6qt dutch oven in mine for baking bread, roasting chickens and roasting prime rib.

That flip up to store and clean is stupidity to me as well. Bigger appliances like this are sit and stay type appliances like the microwave. Flip up to store is not required. Yes it may be functional but I find juggling an appliance like this is just gonna cause a loose connection somewhere sometime.
good points thank you !

Cosori is a well reviewed air fryer - what would you say about their oven - https://www.amazon.ca/COSORI-Convection ... en&sr=1-16
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12578 posts
7311 upvotes
Markham
pumpkinpies wrote: good points thank you !

Cosori is a well reviewed air fryer - what would you say about their oven - https://www.amazon.ca/COSORI-Convection ... en&sr=1-16
For me...Decent performance is important but capacity is WANT/NEED #1

Cosori will take a chicken but my Breville can accommodate a turkey.

This info should be provided in the specs and they never are.
My Breville can accommodate a rectangular pan 12" x 16" and max height from bottom rack a smidge over 7". The height was important for my specific Dutch Oven - I actually have to replace the knob with a "binder clip wing". There's a rounded section in the back of the oven so you can put a 13" round pizza pan in there.

Someone was nice to give info in the Q&A for the Corsori.

width (side to side) - 13 1/2" - deduct about 3/4" due to the rotisserie mechanism
depth (front to back) - 12 1/2"
height - bottom shelf to upper element - 6 1/4"; the actual cavity is 8 1/2" high; there are 2 other shelf heights for toasting and broiling

One of my oblong cake pans wouldn't fit due to the internal fittings for the rotisserie rod, so I substituted a square pan.

[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2009
3456 posts
806 upvotes
Toronto
well i think i finally decided on this one from best buy - https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/in ... y/13613463

its on sale for a pretty good price right now and has a lot of good reviews on the best buy website.

it has the square basket that is better than the round ones and really at that price its pretty hard to beat as long as it works good.

will report back once i have tried it out.