• Apr 23rd, 2020 10:27 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4288 posts
1654 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON

Air Hose fitting help

A couple years back I inherited a small air compressor from family and haven't used it much. A few times a year I top up our tires and that's about it. However when I went to use it the other day I noticed a brass fitting had cracked and I can no longer use the inflator as is. The configuration it came as was the hose has a male 1/4" NPT end, attached was a shut off value (1/4" NPT female on either side) and then the other end of that is the inflator with a 1/4" NPT male thread. The shut off has the crack in it so I need to remove it but since both existing parts are male thread I can not simply attach them. Personally I have never really messed around with air fittings and normally if I could go look at the shelves of Home Depot I'd be comfortable sorting this myself, but since it all has to happen online I need assistance picking the right part.

Ideally I would like to put a quick release end on the end of the hose and the inflator. I also plan to get an air gun for cleaning dust off stuff in the garage, and maybe other attachments down the road as I see fit. I am trying to figure out what I need to get the release on the hose, and the proper attachment on the inflator.

Is it just this that I need? If not, any help pointing me to the correct part would be appreciated. Ideally something Home Depot carries as I already am planning to place an order there for some other things I need.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3496 posts
618 upvotes
Hamilton
im having a hard time picturing what you are describing. Maybe if you can post a picture.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4288 posts
1654 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
The bottom is the end of the hose (1/4" NPT male fitting). The middle valve is 1/4" NPT female on both ends and is what cracked. The top piece is the 1/4" NPT male end of the inflator.

I would like to put one of those quick release air fittings on the end of the hose and the inflator (and in the future any other attachments I buy)
Images
  • IMG_4104.jpg
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
3977 posts
1937 upvotes
You could use a 1/4" NPT brass coupling or even a 1/4" ball valve rated for the pressure.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1384 posts
821 upvotes
Barrie ON
An air compressor is very handy around the home for many other purposes than inflating tires.

You can use it to blow dust out of your computer and keyboard, you can use a brad nailer to attach trim-work, or you can use an impact wrench to quickly change your tires. These are just a few of the things it can be used for.

All the tools I mentioned above have a male air fitting on them. To use them your hose must have a female air fitting. The female fitting on the end of your hose also prevents all the air pressure in the tank from leaking out when you disconnect the tool.

I don't know why your current setup has a valve installed, since all the inflators I have seen have a trigger built in to control the air flow.

My suggestion is to purchase a female connector for the end of your hose, and a male connector for your inflator. This will allow you to add to your air-tool collection over time and get a lot more use from your compressor.

Drthorne provided a link to these individual "fittings" at home depot. I usually purchase mine at Princess Auto because of the large stock of fittings and tools, as well as the best price. Keep in mind that there are several styles of air fittings, and I only purchase the "M" style. I don't know if there are any advantages of one style over another, but I found more "M's" in the store stock many years ago, so I made that my standard.