None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
1688 posts
428 upvotes
Montreal

Air miles versus Metro & Moi

Two groceries near me, one at Metro which uses it's own point system, where they pay you a coupon for a dollar value out every month mailed to you and IGA a few metro stops away which uses Air Miles.
Has anyone figgered out if the Metro points system is any good?
I noticed on a bill of 2.99 they only give me two points, and "round away" the ninety nine cents...

I'm using a cc with cash back, but want to stack the best points for groceries from these two.

Has anyone seen a review anywhere on Metroi & Moi points system?
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2012
1036 posts
466 upvotes
Trois-Rivières, QC
I'm a member of metro&moi. I already use a cashback credit card, but our nearest supermarket is Metro, so I figured "Why not"?

Our household manages to get $10-$15 in rewards from Metro every three months, not only from spending about $200-$250 per month at that store, but also:
- from items that come with bonus points
- from days where the store will automatically double your regular points
- from coupons that Metro mails every now and then to double your points, or to get bonus points on certain items you buy often.

By the way, rewards are mailed every three months, not every month.

More info here: http://www.metro.ca/metro-et-moi/progra ... ip.en.html
Jun 6, 2009
901 posts
430 upvotes
Montréal
Metro and IGA are both expensive shops. I've never collected Air Miles but most people on here would find little value to them.

That being said, I don't do all my shopping at Metro, but I've been fairly satisfied with the Metro&Moi program. The base return is 0.8% (a little less because it's calculated on the amount before tax and pennies are truncated) which doesn't sound great at first but promotions are periodically introduced such as bonus points on selected items, double points week-ends, and so on. You can easily pocket at least 2% back if you take advantage of those. A store credit is mailed every 3 months. No muss, no fuss. Double dip with your rewards credit card is the cherry on top.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5949 posts
2150 upvotes
Mort Réal
epiphano wrote: Metro and IGA are both expensive shops. I've never collected Air Miles but most people on here would find little value to them.
Agree, but Metro tops all grocery store in terms of crazy high prices. Also, if you compare basic AM value vs Metro, AM still wins even though it's worthless.

In the end, the points system is a non issue, you should decide where you shop by the prices, and that would almost always exclude Metro from your list, then Loblaws, Provigo, and IGA (usually in that order). If you don't mind gross people and chaos, then you'd go to Maxi (PM opp) or Super C (No PM), or worse Wal-Mart (PM opp as well). But I would avoid fruit/veggies and meats from those places....
Jun 6, 2009
901 posts
430 upvotes
Montréal
WHO wrote: Agree, but Metro tops all grocery store in terms of crazy high prices. Also, if you compare basic AM value vs Metro, AM still wins even though it's worthless.

In the end, the points system is a non issue, you should decide where you shop by the prices, and that would almost always exclude Metro from your list, then Loblaws, Provigo, and IGA (usually in that order). If you don't mind gross people and chaos, then you'd go to Maxi (PM opp) or Super C (No PM), or worse Wal-Mart (PM opp as well). But I would avoid fruit/veggies and meats from those places....
I shop at Metro because my local Provigo has a smaller selection and the stuff on sale is sometimes worth a visit. If you have a local Metro, you shouldn't completely cross it off your list. It's not just about price.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5949 posts
2150 upvotes
Mort Réal
epiphano wrote: It's not just about price.
For me, it is. For the stuff I buy at the grocery store.
For all meats/fruits/veggies etc I go to a butcher, fruit shop, etc.
All I get at grocery stores is the processed chemical stuff (ketchup, relish, canned food) so price is the ONLY factor I consider.

Sure, Metro sometimes have some decent specials, and that's when I go and buy only these loss leader items.

Of course, if you only have a Metro and Provigo, then you're SOL and should try to stock up during specials.