Off Topic

Air plane land on highway 40 in Quebec city, this morning video from FB

14 replies
Dec 28, 2009
249 posts
79 upvotes
Wow......the pilot had to find a clearing between the cars AND the overhead signage as well.

A couple drivers kept tailgating until the plane could safely pull over.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1124 posts
565 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah pretty impressive. That's why they teach us not to land on highways unless we are sure it's clear. Pulled it off, extremely well. Kudos to the pilot.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15655 posts
4725 upvotes
London
Reminds of the one that landed in Calgary. (April 2018)

Last edited by l69norm on Apr 16th, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
14365 posts
2361 upvotes
There was a plume of smoke coming from the engine. If you see an airplane descending over the road/highway, don't some of these people understand it is an emergency landing. Before some jump and remind me that the plane may not have been in their sight, the sound of the engine of the aircraft should be a clear sign that the pilot is in trouble. Very good job to the pilot.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1124 posts
565 upvotes
Toronto
eldiablo wrote: There was a plume of smoke coming from the engine. If you see an airplane descending over the road/highway, don't some of these people understand it is an emergency landing. Before some jump and remind me that the plane may not have been in their sight, the sound of the engine of the aircraft should be a clear sign that the pilot is in trouble. Very good job to the pilot.
If the engine completely died there wouldn't be a sound from it. Even idling while loud, over highway traffic may not get through.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2006
2239 posts
172 upvotes
glad it landed safely, but why are those drivers not stopping for the plane?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
9281 posts
10819 upvotes
Vancouver
eldiablo wrote: There was a plume of smoke coming from the engine. If you see an airplane descending over the road/highway, don't some of these people understand it is an emergency landing. Before some jump and remind me that the plane may not have been in their sight, the sound of the engine of the aircraft should be a clear sign that the pilot is in trouble. Very good job to the pilot.
I'm sure all of those drivers continued to follow it so they could film it better.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
14365 posts
2361 upvotes
The Canterbury Tail wrote: If the engine completely died there wouldn't be a sound from it. Even idling while loud, over highway traffic may not get through.
There would not be plume of smoke if the engine was dead.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
14365 posts
2361 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: I'm sure all of those drivers continued to follow it so they could film it better.
No doubt.

The sad thing about such a situation is that you need to garner all your skills while landing an aircraft on the road and worry about some idiot does not do a brake check or hit you from behind or even come underneath while you are busy making this emergency landing.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25043 posts
4241 upvotes
eldiablo wrote: There would not be plume of smoke if the engine was dead.
Probably right, but definitely possible for the engine to be shut off and still be smoking.
Your original point is a good one though, assuming the drivers saw and/or heard the plane. Some might not have seen or heard it, for whatever reason.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1124 posts
565 upvotes
Toronto
eldiablo wrote: There would not be plume of smoke if the engine was dead.
A dead engine will still spin, which will still cause motion in the engine and still smoke. Props don't just freeze up when an engine dies, the wind will cause them to spin. And yes they can still smoke even if providing no power, fires don't magically go out when an engine shuts down no matter what the movies tell you, especially if it's from a fuel leak or oil issue.

That being said, it looks like the pilot did have minimal power for minor maneuvering. However a lot of possible reasons for smoke from an aircraft engine.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
14365 posts
2361 upvotes
Shaner wrote: Probably right, but definitely possible for the engine to be shut off and still be smoking.
Your original point is a good one though, assuming the drivers saw and/or heard the plane. Some might not have seen or heard it, for whatever reason.
With the rate of descent and the aircraft maneuvering the engine was running. It is obvious from the video. My point was that if the engine was dead, the likelihood of a visible smoke would have dispersed much sooner than with a running engine. And, yes I am aware the engine will spin even when dead.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1117 posts
557 upvotes
Toronto
It's a good thing that roads are not as busy as they normally are. Excellent piloting.