Automotive

Air Pump to inflate a tube that can work from Cig Port...

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 10th, 2020 5:08 pm
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
12809 posts
3307 upvotes
RFD
M@rk wrote: I have one of these, but still keep a 12V charger in my trunk for emergency use. Due to the Ryobi's lithium battery, the manual states not to store it in a car.
They all say that for legal purposes to save their bums in the event that something goes wrong, which very rarely happens.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
42586 posts
5961 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
mrweather wrote: Sorry, I was just guessing the time it took. Probably a 30-60 seconds for a bike tire.

Car tires are a different beast. Much more volume to fill and these 12v pumps aren't pushing out 40 cfm. If you want a quicker air fill get a proper compressor.
I been using the same cheapo 12v tire inflator from ct.
It works but takes forever... a solid 2 minutes each tire.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5953 posts
1427 upvotes
???
I have big tow tubes too, I went the cigarette route first but the pumps are not adequate for tubes. I ended up getting the 12v battery clamps ones instead, now I can inflate tubes at the ramp or on the water, with much more pressure and or less time. That’s probably the best route imo.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5953 posts
1427 upvotes
???
Also you guys that mention the car tire inflators, yeah those pumps are not meant to inflate giant water tubes that hold max 10 psi of pressure. They are designed to inflate car tires that have a much smaller air volume but greater psi.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5953 posts
1427 upvotes
???
My first pump:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/cole ... 0234p.html

Literally used it once and returned it, while it inflated a tube fast, the pressure was not adequate.

This is what I use now:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/wood ... p.html#srp

Best one so far imo.

Also keep in mind car tire inflators don’t have the correct nozzles to fill tube fittings.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5124 posts
2419 upvotes
Mississauga
Yeah, if you're blowing up floating toys and tubes you need a large volume/low psi pump.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7432 posts
374 upvotes
Toronto
Viperoni wrote: The pump will use up a negligable amount of the batteries power to fill the tube
There's no need for any of the stuff you mentioned

If you're still overly concerned, go buy a cordless inflator instead of one that's powered off of the car's battery, Ryobi has an inflator that's $35 for the tool only
Not true especially when the battery is marginal.
I drained the battery flat when just ‘topping up’ the 4 tires.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2769 posts
1102 upvotes
GTA
ppl4golf wrote: Not true especially when the battery is marginal.
I drained the battery flat when just ‘topping up’ the 4 tires.
Sure, of course that's possible - it doesn't make my statement any less true, and it sounds like it helped you figure out your battery was marginal before it stranded you in a less convenient situation.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7432 posts
374 upvotes
Toronto
Viperoni wrote: Sure, of course that's possible - it doesn't make my statement any less true, and it sounds like it helped you figure out your battery was marginal before it stranded you in a less convenient situation.
If you understand logic at a philosophical level...then all that is required is one example to prove your statement NOT true so to speak as the definition of true is to be true all the time.

Your deduction about concluding my battery is crappy is bang on however. Thumbs Up Sign

I will tease your brain once more time...why do I not need a new battery yet??
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1743 posts
285 upvotes
^
I heard that these lead acid batteries are not deep cycle batteries and should only be meant to start the engine. And car's charging system is also meant to refill the the small depletion that is caused by starting the engine.
Other applications wont be good for battery and charging system which I would like in top notch condition for crazy winters...
Hence I was bit skeptical using my car battery.
I have noco GB70. I will give that a try
While we are here. Any suggestion on a decent 12V air pump. The Canadian Tire one that I mentioned in OP is not on sale anymore.
Mar 22, 2004
443 posts
215 upvotes
London, ON
Nice! I have the "Air Head" version of this pump (it looks identical, but is Yellow). I bought it about 5 years ago, I had to get it from the US. It works amazing, but is a little loud. I use it with a portable battery pack if I want to charge away from my car/boat. I wish it had an option for a cigarette lighter attachment, but I understand that it requires more current than the cigarette ports are rated for.

Thanks for the heads up on this one.