• Nov 30th, 2018 12:32 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 31, 2008
214 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto

AIr Purifiers - do they work?

Does anyone have any feedback on air purifiers and their ability to actually clean the air and smell/feel the difference in air quality?

I read that it can remove mold spores just as well...not that I have a mold issue, but mold being small as they can be, are these purifiers that effective?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3196 posts
1979 upvotes
Markham
Not all filters are made the same. Look into "true" HEPA air purifers.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14722 posts
10853 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Yes they are, be sure to read the reviews before you purchase. Make sure the Sq Ft coverage, doesn't make sense to buy a small purifier for a large living room.
Yes, you can feel the air much cleaner after purifying.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14722 posts
10853 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
By the way, I got the Germ Guardian 3in1 with HEPA filter 28in. Cost like 130 on Amazon. Has 3 settings L / M / H and ION light filter.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Jul 31, 2008
214 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
There's also the Filterless models such as those from HoneyWell Air Genius...they don't use HEPA though, but suppose to be better....
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20527 posts
5986 upvotes
GTA
We have two Air Rabbit Air Purifiers, one for the bedroom and one for the living room. We have seasonal allergies and two cats, literally every week I vacuum a thick layer of dust, hair and stuff that gets into the filter and prefilters.

It definitely helps a lot.
Nov 29, 2018
4 posts
BDSL wrote: Not all filters are made the same. Look into "true" HEPA air purifers.
Also, not all True hepa filters are made the same.
Last edited by brentpham on Mar 6th, 2019 3:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
I choose you
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
2133 posts
2612 upvotes
West GTA
Air purifiers do work. They remove contaminants, both macroscopic and microscopic from air. This can be shown via evidence:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-air-purifier/

In that article, the staff uses particulate sensors to show how much tiny particulate matter is in the air, both before and after purification.

The question, though, is 'do you need air to be that clean'? If you have allergies to dust, pollen, or other particles often found indoors, then sure, it can help. If you have asthma and find that ultra-clean air helps, then sure. If you have poor household hygiene and don't vacuum regularly, then sure, it'll help. If you have pets, then sure, it can help, since they spray dirt, dried saliva, dried hair, skin flakes and bits of hair into the air. Some air purifiers can also address VOCs, which can come from cleaning supplies, new paint, etc. They catch mold spores, and sometimes bacteria and even viruses.

The thing is, our bodies can typically handle a bit of dust and dirt. Our lungs have quite effective self-cleaning systems. We are, after all, evolved to live in the great outdoors where there is plenty of dust. We also have furnace filters which will catch a lot of the gunk. There is also a risk for some of having a home that's 'too clean' - the hygiene hypothesis implies that, due to extreme, unnatural cleanliness, the rate of allergies and autoimmune disorders is on the rise.

I'd say that if you don't have an issue with dust, don't own pets, and don't suffer from particulate-related allergies or other conditions, then don't bother.
May 24, 2019
2 posts
2327 Lincoln Drive H…
I don’t know if only one unit in the bedroom would help, but with other units throughout the house, it’s been a world of difference. We’ve even noticed less dust in the house.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)