• Last Updated:
  • Oct 25th, 2017 10:38 pm
[OP]
Jul 13, 2007
584 posts
158 upvotes
Toronto

Air Transat cancels return trip: refund/compensation

So, Air Transat has cancelled our return trip flight.

We've already flown out.

They've rescheduled us for the previous day's flight, which doesn't work for us.

Email says we can reschedule or refund.

Approx fare paid was ~$950 RT.

Air Transat has initially offered $270 if we cancel the return trip... which doesn't anywhere near cover a new one way ticket.

Unfortunately, Canadian rules apply here, not EU/US.

Anyone have experience with this? Is it best to email them? Direct message on Facebook? Cc the Canadian authorities on any of our communications?

What's the best way to get AT to refund us at least half of the initial fare and cancel the return journey?
Are you sure you wish to carry out this operation? You betcha.
29 replies
Dec 26, 2008
919 posts
37 upvotes
Definitely do something on social media if you can, that's ridiculous. does CC insurance have any recourse for this?
OLYMPIAKOS GATE 7

ΟΣΦΠ Misfits
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28221 posts
4202 upvotes
Ottawa
Just another AirTransat issue. You take your chances when you try to save 100 bucks.
I am not sure you can do anything. They only have so many aircraft and when one goes down, the entire schedule is messed up. You don't want to come back one day early...what is the other date? A day after? Or what date can you get form them to return?
As for social media, well, AirTransat and social media makes no difference, they are used to getting slammed.
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7101 posts
427 upvotes
Toronto
Any trip interruption insurance on your credit card? Might be wise to read your terms and conditions of your credit card. However you'll likely need to book on the car and then deal with insurance after
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
[OP]
Jul 13, 2007
584 posts
158 upvotes
Toronto
GangStarr wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 5:48 pm
Any trip interruption insurance on your credit card? Might be wise to read your terms and conditions of your credit card. However you'll likely need to book on the car and then deal with insurance after
Ya, that's my fear. It was booked on an Amex gold card. If I have to explore that I will, but plan A is to get A.T. to live up to its obligations.
Feb 11, 2009
875 posts
153 upvotes
The EU rules may apply anyways since you are departing from an EU country.
[OP]
Jul 13, 2007
584 posts
158 upvotes
Toronto
Anywho, just spent 41 minutes on the phone with them.

Level 1 rep, can't do much other than explain their exploitive accounting practices. Something like the departure flight being 285 EUR and the return flight being 20 EUR. Sure, and I'm the king of England because I say so.

Level 2 rep will follow-up and call me at 6PM tomorrow to contact their re-booking department and see if they're able to offer additional compensation.

The Canadian Transportation Agency says "A carrier’s tariff must be clear, reasonable and not unduly discriminatory. " I look forward to shredding their tariff.
[OP]
Jul 13, 2007
584 posts
158 upvotes
Toronto
4seasonscentre wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 6:29 pm
The EU rules may apply anyways since you are departing from an EU country.
Negative. I tried to keep the explanation simple. This is about European family member's return trip. Ticket booked in spring. Arrived in Canada in summer. Returning to EU in December.

I was to be travelling with them, but the December ticket will be my departure to EU, and the email to me offers "Cancel your reservation and get a full refund."

Anywho, Air Transat's tariff is quite clear:
Given that passengers have a right to take the flight they paid for, if the passenger’s journey is interrupted by [...] or in the event that the originally scheduled departure time is advanced
[...]
where no reasonable transportation option is available [...] and for round-trip, circle trip or open jaw bookings/itineraries, an amount equal to fifty percent of the roundtrip fare and charges for the class of service paid for, for the unused flight segment(s), shall be refunded or provided as a credit.
Their call centre process seems to be to ignore their own tariff.
[OP]
Jul 13, 2007
584 posts
158 upvotes
Toronto
4seasonscentre wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 8:18 pm
Oh too bad. European law is stricter.
Sorta. If an EU airline cancels and gives you more than 14 days notice, it's not much different than the Air Transat tariff: no compensation, but they have to re-route/re-book you and provide assistance.

Lots of EU airlines require you to fight the airline for compensation too, but because of the population, there's a ton of agencies that will litigate on your behalf for a cut.
[OP]
Jul 13, 2007
584 posts
158 upvotes
Toronto
The flight was supposed to be Toronto --> Montreal ---> Paris.
It was the first segment that was cancelled. They're still operating the Montreal-->Paris flight.

It looks like Air Transat (after much pushing and wasted time) will book a flight on Air Canada from Toronto--->Montreal on the day that we need. I'll be sure to demand a checked bag for this domestic leg.

As for the other flight that I booked, which departs and returns on December, Air Transat easily offered a full refund, then I promptly rebooked on another airline for $500 less. I won't need the carry on/checked bag, so this is working out in my favour so far.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16965 posts
1855 upvotes
GTA West
Pete_Coach wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 5:02 pm
Just another AirTransat issue. You take your chances when you try to save 100 bucks.
I am not sure you can do anything. They only have so many aircraft and when one goes down, the entire schedule is messed up. You don't want to come back one day early...what is the other date? A day after? Or what date can you get form them to return?
As for social media, well, AirTransat and social media makes no difference, they are used to getting slammed.
Sounds like you dislike Air Transat. So what alternative airline do you recommend?
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
[OP]
Jul 13, 2007
584 posts
158 upvotes
Toronto
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Oct 21st, 2017 11:05 pm
Sounds like you dislike Air Transat. So what alternative airline do you recommend?
He's not going to be happy to hear that I cancelled one of the entire Air Transat bookings and booked onto Wow AIr.

But it was $500 cheaper. That's a chance worth taking.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28221 posts
4202 upvotes
Ottawa
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Oct 21st, 2017 11:05 pm
I am not a fan of any charter airline with few aircraft. One maintenance issue with one aircraft will disrupt many scheduled flights. They do not have enough aircraft to compensate for aircraft downtime.
HammerRFDer wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2017 1:01 am
He's not going to be happy to hear that I cancelled one of the entire Air Transat bookings and booked onto Wow AIr.

But it was $500 cheaper. That's a chance worth taking.
Sir, me being happy to find out you got a cheaper flight is truly a wrong assumption on your part. As always, you get what you pay for.
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?