Free Airbnb's for COVID-19 responders

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 30th, 2020 6:05 pm
[OP]
Jun 1, 2016
954 posts
1948 upvotes

Free Airbnb's for COVID-19 responders

Airbnb is partnering with our hosts to connect 100,000 healthcare providers, relief workers, and first responders with clean, convenient places to stay that allow them to be close to their patients—and safely distanced from their own families.

We may be apart, but we’ll get through this together.

Look out for each other and stay safe
$28 Phone Plan:
  • Unlimited Data (25gb LTE)
  • Unlimited Talk / Text
  • Unlimited Roaming in US / Canada / Mexico
  • eSIM (allows dual SIM)
57 replies
Aug 16, 2006
218 posts
238 upvotes
Toronto
Hhhmmm, is this a good idea? I personally don't think hosts will thoroughly clean and disinfect the rental unit even if they are given guidelines. Also, will guests that rent out the unit immediately after a healthcare provider/worker/responder was a previous guest get notified it was used for this? I have a feeling these things aren't of concern for the hosts and potentially be more of a risk to other guests.
Jul 30, 2018
150 posts
157 upvotes
Yes, let's flood condos with high risk groups and have them cleaned by untrained cleaners that go from unit to unit within buildings! That can't possibly go badly. Thanks for being toxic to condo residents even when you're trying to do a good thing, airbnb.

Let's keep their families safe by giving them free food and board in proper hotel facilities. These can have a dedicated trained cleaner in proper PPE instead of an undocumented worker cleaning units for cash money that will spread that shit around. You people have no idea how Airbnbs work in Toronto.

Lets not be dense. The reason Healthcare workers are heroes is because they go in despite the risk. And the reason they would want such accommodations is because they donh want to pass this to their loved ones. The medical community is saying 2m distance is what we need... You can stand in opposite corners of an elevator and not even have 1m. The hospitals barely have enough n95 or even surgical masks for in-hospital use, you think they're wearing them on the way back to the Airbnb too?

https://www.businessinsider.com/healthc ... ted-2020-2
"Healthcare workers are particularly vulnerable for a handful of reasons. First, the coronavirus is highly contagious, and medical staff members are exposed to more viral particles than the general public. Second, they're facing shortages of supplies as the tide of patients rises. Third, a combination of stress and long hours could make their immune systems more vulnerable than normal. "
"Research published earlier this month in the Journal of the American Medical Association found that of 138 patients studied at one hospital, 29% were healthcare workers."
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytime ... 9.amp.html
"Out of Spain’s 40,000 confirmed coronavirus cases, 5,400 — nearly 14 percent — are medical professionals, the health ministry said on Tuesday."
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... rs/608662/
"In the SARS outbreak in Toronto, Canada, in 2003, 44 percent of all infections were in health-care providers."
Last edited by makingbaconpancakes on Mar 30th, 2020 12:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Sep 4, 2005
160 posts
60 upvotes
This is ridiculous and not well thought out. Most Airbnb’s in Toronto were in condos, so instead of a high risk person going back home to their family, they are being sent to a condo with several more touch points, e.g. parking lot, lobby, elevator, garbage room. Now instead of high risk people exposed to their immediate family, they are being exposed to hundreds of people.

I am almost sure this didn’t fly over the heads of the very smart people at Airbnb, they just decided to prioritize preventing units from being posted onto the rental market and probably lost forever.
Jul 2, 2016
84 posts
88 upvotes
Also I heard that Airbnb isn't subsidizing any of this, they're just asking people who rent out to give away their places for free, meh.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
14138 posts
2239 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Down with Airbnb.. that's superbly lame if they dont have skin in the game..plus it's an awful idea, imagine the exposure
Dec 31, 2009
215 posts
174 upvotes
Calgary
Airbnb is letting first responders stay for free - look again at this link. Free Airbnb's for Covid-19 responders

Getting first responders away from their family, who they are intimate with (can you keep your young child from touching you/wanting to hug you?), is the idea.
All first responders would be washing their hands thoroughly when they leave a hospital or similar. I know I do before I leave my clinic to go to my vehicle (and I first remove my scrubs at the office to go directly in the wash there). I have hand sanitizer in my vehicle. If I have to get gas or groceries or do a home visit on an elderly patient I am using my hand sanitizer again - either before touching anything in a patient's home or in my vehicle again after getting gas and using it in the grocery store and again back at my vehicle).

First responders may be better than your average Joe at maintaining good hand hygiene and minimizing spread of infections (I said may, I am sure not all are). And if we get symptoms we will self isolate immediately and would be protecting our family and others if we were staying at an Airbnb rental (and would not be touching elevator buttons etc.). Airbnb has also listed cleaning protocols to keep hosts and subsequent guests safe.

Also, if first responders can stay close to their hospitals or clinics, their commutes may be shorter and some may not need to rely on public transportation. First responders are working longer days than usual, and minimizing transport at the end of the day may help people have time to shop for food and to get more rest.
Jan 1, 2018
465 posts
590 upvotes
I wonder how lucrative a covid-19 rental will be to others once its been occupied by a first responder Confused Face
Ahh the feeling I get when I've saved some money...more money for the more important things!
Feb 26, 2010
24 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
How does this make sense for a host and future travellers? I know we’re in tough time and we should do what we can to help but,
1. Airbnb takes all the credit and no risk whatsoever!
2. The host takes the risk of cleaning the unit, payment of utilities/and mortgage/ supplies
3. The future traveller a risk of the unit is not cleaned properly

Why doesn’t Airbnb help fund this with their 4 billion on revenue last year?
Jul 3, 2008
540 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
TrueSight wrote: How does this make sense for a host and future travellers? I know we’re in tough time and we should do what we can to help but,
1. Airbnb takes all the credit and no risk whatsoever!
2. The host takes the risk of cleaning the unit, payment of utilities/and mortgage/ supplies
3. The future traveller a risk of the unit is not cleaned properly

Why doesn’t Airbnb help fund this with their 4 billion on revenue last year?
I had to take a look at the rules. as a host you can still charge $ for the stay. i think airbnb would pay the host so the responder pays nothing.
Aug 17, 2006
448 posts
164 upvotes
Toronto
Wow! What a bunch of moronic responses.

Many first responders who are at high risk of catching the virus can't go home because they have individuals at home who have a higher chance of dying if they get the virus. Many Airbnb's are empty. Owners/Airbnb are offering a solution to that problem for free. Is that so terrible?
makingbaconpancakes wrote: Yes, let's flood condos with high risk groups and have them cleaned by untrained cleaners that go from unit to unit within buildings! That can't possibly go badly. Thanks for being toxic to condo residents even when you're trying to do a good thing, airbnb. Wash your hands when you get home! Problem solved.
Studies have shown virus particles can be found within 72 hours on a plastic surface (much less for other surfaces). It's unclear whether these viral particles are even able to infect at that point. If the unit is unoccupied for three days after, you'll be fine.
a_fine_balance wrote: This is ridiculous and not well thought out. Most Airbnb’s in Toronto were in condos, so instead of a high risk person going back home to their family, they are being sent to a condo with several more touch points, e.g. parking lot, lobby, elevator, garbage room. Now instead of high risk people exposed to their immediate family, they are being exposed to hundreds of people.

I am almost sure this didn’t fly over the heads of the very smart people at Airbnb, they just decided to prioritize preventing units from being posted onto the rental market and probably lost forever.
Uh... if you live in a condo, I'd be worried about the other hundreds of tenants who don't know how to practice hand hygiene more than the first responders who have specific training and protection.
Nov 28, 2013
409 posts
240 upvotes
tweep0 wrote: Snip
Good to see the forums still have users with common sense.
Sep 4, 2005
160 posts
60 upvotes
tweep0 wrote: Uh... if you live in a condo, I'd be worried about the other hundreds of tenants who don't know how to practice hand hygiene more than the first responders who have specific training and protection.
Uh... we’ve been quite happy with our emptier lobby since Airbnb was banned, as they have not been replaced with tenants yet. If they have specific training and protection then they can stay with their family or in their basement, where I’m sure they would practice good habits more carefully. At the very least, limit this to Airbnb’s that aren’t in condos.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)